iPhone 7 Will Revolutionize Portable Audio for the First Time in a Decade
Sep 10, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #391 of 1,216
This is what future holds for iPhone 7 users, not matter whar brand manufactures the Lightning cable (Apple enforces the use of the Cirrus engineered Lightning audio kit):

Sep 10, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #392 of 1,216
  The consumer ALWAYS have power over the manufacturer; we can choose to buy or not to buy.  

I can't fault Apple for trying new things so it's up to us to 'point them' in the right direction (if there is any).  If iPhone 7 sales are down and the common complaint is that people want the 'old' headphone jack, I GUARANTEE they will bring it back.

Just saying...

L3000.gif

I agree with this.

I like my iPhone 6 and find that I've used it for music both wireless and with headphones many times before this change was announced for the 7 last week. IMO it's nice to have both choices in a phone if possible, but I also think it's important to voice expression to buy or not if unhappy.

One of the things mentioned a few times in this thread is the masses won't care as much and that's most probably Apple's real core base of customers anyway. Besides nothing wrong with forward thinking on Apple's part, but had they executed that with wireless charging of both the phone and wireless headset before cutting out the 3.5mm they would have been spotlighted for doing something incredible in technology once again. The difference is they took away the jack, the ability to charge and listen and offered a dongle instead. (for now)

2 or 3 possible steps back for one big step forward? All at their loyal customer bases expense? I don't know for sure but many feel this way.

Anyway, as I mentioned in the FiiO X1 gen 2 thread an all in one device like an iPhone is easier and nicer to carry rather than two. However, jack or no jack there are still interruptions when listening to music using a phone and we all still have many choices. Being unplugged from texts/calls/web is a good thing when listening to music.

Sep 10, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #394 of 1,216
  what step forward? we already have wireless charging in android phones, we already have wireless headphones with DAC's, we already have dual camera phones, there is literally 0 step forward in this

You're right, but I was referring to people who want it in iPhone and in some ways expected it from Apple by now. Some people and I can only speak for myself here like not so much the phone itself but the apps it offers for specific things for work, creativity etc. Then there's also issues like connectivity to certain 3rd party devices/hardware which aren't available to android users yet. Take for one example Shure's line of Motiv microphones released last year. We're over a year in and it's still a lightning (iOS only for now) connection on the MV88 which is a very portable and great sounding mic.

I'm not loyal to any one company, no chance. But everyone uses things so many different things in so many different ways and nothing is really bundled into ONE solution as of yet.

But I get it, business is business.

Sep 10, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #395 of 1,216
what step forward? we already have wireless charging in android phones, we already have wireless headphones with DAC's, we already have dual camera phones, there is literally 0 step forward in this

You also have awesome and rather often app updates in Android as far as i hear, a rather successful cooperation between software and hardware, as well as some rare fireworks appearing while charging the unique Quad core space technology Android machines! How wrong we have been all this time not using this zero audio/video latency BT tech on Android! We will from now on though!! We will go away from bad Apple and follow the good and reliable Google! I would like to thank you so much for helping this thread move forward!!...

Sep 10, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #396 of 1,216
You also have awesome and rather often app updates in Android as far as i hear, a rather successful cooperation between software and hardware, as well as some rare fireworks appearing while charging the unique Quad core space technology Android machines! How wrong we have been all this time not using this zero audio/video latency BT tech on Android! We will from now on though!! We will go away from bad Apple and follow the good and reliable Google! I would like to thank you so much for helping this thread move forward!!...

you seriously sound like absolutely nothing but an apple shill. thats absolutely the only way it sounds when youve put anything in this thread. and BTW, the delay on bluetooth will still exist with the w1 chip, i have no clue why you expect so much out of this when all the data out there completely contradicts what you want it to be

Sep 10, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #397 of 1,216
you seriously sound like absolutely nothing but an apple shill. thats absolutely the only way it sounds when youve put anything in this thread. and BTW, the delay on bluetooth will still exist with the w1 chip, i have no clue why you expect so much out of this when all the data out there completely contradicts what you want it to be

All world is looking forward to using and testing the new W1 chip and see how it really works, but guess what?? The famous RugbyPlayer got the "data" first and he knows from now, before anyone else, that W1 is same as BT on Android! Same latency, same all! You are the tech God, for sure...

Sep 10, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #399 of 1,216
You do realize that such a miniature DAC and discrete component can fit in a cables, then it can be designed and implemented much better inside a phone with a 3.5mm jack ?

You do ? Or don't you ?

All older IPhone can still play digital files and transport to external DAC/amp, and there was no need for the removal of 3.5mm.

You do ? Or don't you ?

Any older iPhone can pair with air pod and or any other Bluetooth devices without the removable of 3.5mm...

You do ? Or don't you ?

Sep 10, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #400 of 1,216

One of the things mentioned a few times in this thread is the masses won't care as much and that's most probably Apple's real core base of customers anyway. Besides nothing wrong with forward thinking on Apple's part, but had they executed that with wireless charging of both the phone and wireless headset before cutting out the 3.5mm they would have been spotlighted for doing something incredible in technology once again. The difference is they took away the jack, the ability to charge and listen and offered a dongle instead. (for now)

2 or 3 possible steps back for one big step forward? All at their loyal customer bases expense? I don't know for sure but many feel this way.

Anyway, as I mentioned in the FiiO X1 gen 2 thread an all in one device like an iPhone is easier and nicer to carry rather than two. However, jack or no jack there are still interruptions when listening to music using a phone and we all still have many choices. Being unplugged from texts/calls/web is a good thing when listening to music.

I don't really know anyone who charges their iPhone and uses the headphone out jack at the same time, to be honest with you.  Apple's marketing unit probably recognized that and advised the tech unit to go ahead with removing the 3.5mm headphone jack.  I just don't think it will affect a lot of iPhone users. I find that many iPhone users in my crowd don't really use their iPhones much outside of texting, playing games, google search/maps/GPS and phone calls; and these are the people that buy iPhones every two years or so.

L3000.gif

Sep 10, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #401 of 1,216

I don't really know anyone who charges their iPhone and uses the headphone out jack at the same time, to be honest with you.  Apple's marketing unit probably recognized that and advised the tech unit to go ahead with removing the 3.5mm headphone jack.  I just don't think it will affect a lot of iPhone users. I find that many iPhone users in my crowd don't really use their iPhones much outside of texting, playing games, google search/maps/GPS and phone calls; and these are the people that buy iPhones every two years or so.

L3000.gif

It can come in handy in an office situation but I agree with the other points you mentioned. As mentioned I use it both situations for music so I'm already prepared to go wireless should it become the standard. It comes down to remembering to charge your wireless headphones as well.

Sep 10, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #402 of 1,216
I still don't understand why the dongle didn't work until an Apple device had any form of iOS 10 installed. Maybe the omniscient "Rugby Player" could elaborate on that logistical deviation? The Lightning port has been supporting audio for a while now.

Seperately, I distinctly remember a time when none of the companies had a headphone jack... Until Apple released the OG iPhone (well technically that Apple/Motorola). I find that an interesting point to remind.

Pretty sure that the existing DACs that do work via the CCK all work by virtue of presenting a standard USB Audio interface.

It's possible that in order to save space, this dongle doesn't use that interface, but a proprietary, maybe simplified digital interface that requires iOS 10.

Sep 10, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #403 of 1,216

L3000.gif

Most people don't give much of a schiit about audio. It's part of the scenery. 

Sep 10, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #404 of 1,216

I don't really know anyone who charges their iPhone and uses the headphone out jack at the same time, to be honest with you.  

I do it frequently - in my car. My iPhone connects to my car audio from the headphone jack to the car's aux jack. Frequently while traveling, I have Google maps running as a GPS, so, since the battery drains fast, I have the charger plugged in at the same time. And the phone is always playing audio through the car speakers.

Can't do that with Apple's new "most advanced iPhone". For me, a 1-port phone is as much of a non-starter as Apple's 1-USB-C port MacBook.

I use my iPhone more as an audio player (podcasts, audiobooks, music) than I do for anything else. And I never have Apple headphones plugged into it, as I, like most here probably, have lots of other headphones that have 3.5mm plugs. Even if my favorite headphone makers start making lightning headphones, I'm not about to start having special headphones for my phone that don't work on my other devices.

I'm deep in the Apple ecosystem, and have been for 30 years. But they are not selling me an iPhone crippled by the lack of a headphone jack.

My hope is that they realize the error of their ways, and just like they came out with the iPhone SE for those like me who don't like bigger phones, they realize there's a significant group of people who won't give up their headphone jack. I can hope...

I'm all for their efforts to push the wireless tech forward, but they could still do that without taking away the headphone jack. And if they were really interested in improving audio from the iPhone, they could have given us some of what's in the LG V20.

All in all, I think this was a pretty arrogant move on their part.

Sep 11, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #405 of 1,216
Haha! It happened! Just got the EL8 titanium and am listening to them before i inevitably return them to the apple store. It was on 30%, went to plug it into the charging cable, BOOM! No charge for you, son!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back