iPhone 7 Will Revolutionize Portable Audio for the First Time in a Decade
Jan 9, 2016 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,216

MICHAELSD

Headphoneus Supremus
iPhone 7 is shaping up to be a major step forward for audio, even if many will miss the rumored-to-be-omitted headphone jack. Apple's Lightning output will be capable of providing higher-quality audio than the headphone jack was capable of, and I believe Apple will fully embrace audiophiles if they were to omit the headphone jack by finally leveraging iTunes and Apple Music to include lossless music. Not only that, but Apple is rumored to be developing a new format for wireless headphones to likely overcome Bluetooth limitations. 

iPhone 7 will be a major release for audiophiles, as I think amazing audio will be a major selling point.

Written by me, but re-posted from elsewhere:
I don't think there is any debating that iPhone 7 will change audio output for mobile devices, at least at first in a way that will be disappointing for many with the omission of the headphone jack but I think I have Apple's cards figured out: one of iPhone 7's main selling points at the keynote and beyond will be audio. In my opinion Apple will be doing a major overhaul in the audio department, firstly by pushing the Lightning port's capability of higher-quality audio. Then, by finally making up for Bluetooth's limitations with the company's own wireless format. More speculatively, I believe Apple will want to make this a more complete overhaul by adding at the very least stereo speakers although I think the company will manage to work a quad-speaker setup similar to the iPad Pro into the iPhone.

This could be a boon for Apple. They could have an audio renaissance by offering lossless or better-than-typical-lossless format through iTunes and Apple Music, which would be very welcome by me. With this new format, they could leverage the Beats brand to create headphones that are actually good and that play well with the lossless format.

This makes a lot of sense for the iPhone, and even more when iTunes, Apple Music, and the Beats brand are considered. Apple alone could usher in the resurgence good quality audio needed.

(Then, iPhone 8, with its OLED display that could very possibly be 4K, will focus on a brand new Retina Display.)

Jan 9, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #2 of 1,216
I did not like this rumor when I was first told about it last night by a family member, but then I realized . . . it could be a good thing if this rumor is true, because companies could start selling DAC/amps to the general public because some people will want to use their existing headphones with 3.5 mm plugs. This could mean cheaper DAC/amps for all. With all that said however, this rumor (if true) might not become reality for a couple years as sometimes happens with these sorts of rumors.

PS: Something else I just realized is that, removing the headphone jack means Apple could now also remove the DAC chip and op amp from the iPhone, which would save space.

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 1,216
Well my guess if happens, great, but it will be a very very very slow start.

Mar 15, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #9 of 1,216
  Yeah, right. Just like crApple Watch did in watches. Dream more.

The Apple Watch did revolutionize watches, especially for those who bought it. I own around two dozen watches and have only worn one other than the Apple Watch since buying it. It just makes sense to have all the extra information on the watch.

Mar 15, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #10 of 1,216
  The Apple Watch did revolutionize watches, especially for those who bought it. I own around two dozen watches and have only worn one other than the Apple Watch since buying it. It just makes sense to have all the extra information on the watch.

Lol no it didn't, come on.  Android Wear can do much more, you don't see people claiming Google re-invented the watch.

Smartwatches are nothing but luxury items for geeks right now, and this is coming from a smartwatch owner...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back