iPhone 7 Will Revolutionize Portable Audio for the First Time in a Decade
Sep 10, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #376 of 1,216
In a month the best phone for music will no doubt be the LG V20. I'd say right now the best is the HTC10.

I wouldn't rule out the LG v10 or G5, as having the best headphone output (lol) for music in a phone. I use the v10, and it sounds fantastic with the right software installed.

But I agree when the v20 is in production, it will role the other phones maybe, not sure putting the amplifier and DAC on the same chip is going to be a great idea. We will know soon enough.

Sep 10, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #377 of 1,216
I wouldn't rule out the LG v10 or G5, as having the best headphone output (lol) for music in a phone. I use the v10, and it sounds fantastic with the right software installed.

But I agree when the v20 is in production, it will role the other phones maybe, not sure putting the amplifier and DAC on the same chip is going to be a great idea. We will know soon enough.

The V10 is quite nice. The G5 unless you live in a country that sold the B&O module then it was the same as the s7 with the SD dac which is good but not great.

Sep 10, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #378 of 1,216

You did this via Lightning connector and still had volume control on the phone? That should only happen when using the headphone out or AUX (in the car). But I connect via USB in the car so no volume control on phone, as it should be.

Yes I used the Lightning connector > USB in of the WA8 !   

Sep 10, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #380 of 1,216
Per The Wirecutter:
"We confirmed that the adapter supports three-button inline mic/remote pods, so you can use the headphones you already have with no change in performance. And Apple representatives told us that the adapter should also support existing headphone-jack accessories like the Square credit card reader."
Thank you for that information!

Sep 10, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #382 of 1,216
I still don't understand why the dongle didn't work until an Apple device had any form of iOS 10 installed. Maybe the omniscient "Rugby Player" could elaborate on that logistical deviation? The Lightning port has been supporting audio for a while now.

Seperately, I distinctly remember a time when none of the companies had a headphone jack... Until Apple released the OG iPhone (well technically that Apple/Motorola). I find that an interesting point to remind.

Sep 10, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #383 of 1,216
The thing is for me, I use the iPhone for way more than just listening to audio. There are quite a few apps this simply are not available for android. Most especially some Moog synthesizer and other applications that are strictly iOS specific.

While I am not fundamentally opposed to using a dongle, external DAC, or even a cipher cable from Audeze, I am a bit put off by the seeming arrogance of Apple and their assumption that their customers will always follow them wherever they go.

I will be waiting it out a bit, and watching how things ultimately shake out. Big changes seem to always bring out a certain sense of hysteria, which if nothing else can be fun to watch.

:popcorn:

Sep 10, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #384 of 1,216
I still don't understand why the dongle didn't work until an Apple device had any form of iOS 10 installed. Maybe the omniscient "Rugby Player" could elaborate on that logistical deviation? The Lightning port has been supporting audio for a while now.

Seperately, I distinctly remember a time when none of the companies had a headphone jack... Until Apple released the OG iPhone (well technically that Apple/Motorola). I find that an interesting point to remind.

Until you said Motorola, I had forgotten... My first MP3 player was my Razr V3r from Cingular. It did not have a headphone jack, so I had a dongle...

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Original-SYN1504A-Mini-USB-Headset/dp/B001A1IKFK

We were all wrong, it seems Apple is just riding the nostalgia wave...

Sep 10, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #385 of 1,216
On an unrelated note, is there anybody else in this thread who thinks that the iPhone was a more attractive looking phone back in the days of the 4/4s? I personally think that Apple should go back to that look for the iPhone. Those were good-looking phones.

I liked the 5s design myself.

There's always the SE model.

I also much prefer the "beefier " design of the 5s or SE, but my eyes don't like the smaller screen. (≧∇≦)

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #387 of 1,216
9f9719a7caeb37e92e05560feb9cce16.jpg

Good times ahead!

Alcohol is never the answer... But it certainly helps you forget the question.

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #388 of 1,216
Here's (notorious apple fanboy) John Gruber's take on the removal. I think the most generous appraisal recognizes (1) Apple is for the masses, not the elite (just ask Mac Pro customers), and (2), perhaps consequently, Apple never spent much on making its internal amp/dac more than functional, because the audio cognoscenti are a tiny, though hopefully expanding, minority. People simply don't care about high fidelity audio the way they do about high resolution photographs.

If we grant that apple's internal dac/amp has never been great, it's only a short hop to the conclusion that someone else's dac/amp would be better. The proprietary lightning connector is an added expense, of course, and apple didn't become the world's most valuable corporation by being generous, but if the change pushes our on-the-go rigs to include superior dac/amps, I could see a situation in which the net on-the-go SQ  improves. My preference would be a situation in which ANC is included by default (perhaps my jet setting urbanism is a bias) and every headphone has the "good quality, convenient" bluetooth option and the "higher quality, charging mode" Lightning/USBC option. Now, bluetooth today is a POS, and it's incumbent upon apple to use their clout to push for a lossless future codec, but the above universe is not one I altogether dislike. The QC35 has a bluetooth/AUX choice, with a separate USB charging cable. This is a first step, but closing the circle such that wired listening is the same as charging is needed for this new portable universe to be right with itself.

EDIT: Harmon's lightning headphone gives me some small hope that AKG will fall into line and give me a lightning N90Q.

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #389 of 1,216
Interesting how Apple's new version of the Beats Solo3 wireless with the W1 chip still includes a 3.5mm cable for when the battery dies down. I realize this removal of the jack on the IP7 is just in its initial/transition stage, but just an interesting observation that they didn't go full plunge with this headphone and make it a straight up lightning connector. WINNER? (for now)....The Dongle!

Anyone down for some beers?
beerchug.gif

Sep 10, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #390 of 1,216
... I am a bit put off by the seeming arrogance of Apple and their assumption that their customers will always follow them wherever they go.
popcorn.gif

The consumer ALWAYS have power over the manufacturer; we can choose to buy or not to buy.  

I can't fault Apple for trying new things so it's up to us to 'point them' in the right direction (if there is any).  If iPhone 7 sales are down and the common complaint is that people want the 'old' headphone jack, I GUARANTEE they will bring it back.

Just saying...

L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back