iPhone 7 Will Revolutionize Portable Audio for the First Time in a Decade
Sep 8, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #211 of 1,216
FYI, i have 3 computers at work, a MAC, a dedicated linux box, and a windows machine. I have been using macs for 15 years, stop making assumptions.

And this 15 years experience made you believe that Windows computers operate better than Macs?!! What can I say? There is no reason to debate anymore with you...

Regarding W1, I repeat once again that if Apple has resolved the known Bluetooth issues by applying a new Bluetooth AAC audio transmission with better battery life, no interruptions and more reliable pairing, then this is the way to go since I agree that the future of audio is wireless...We have to wait, test and see the results...

Sep 8, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #212 of 1,216
I would argue that it's much more transparent. They're taking the retail price of the phone and dividing it by 24 (for 2 years of monthly payments), and then a flat rate for the actual service ($80 in my case for unlimited calls/text and 6GB data).

I just got a SE with a 3 year contract here in Denmark. Free phone and a monthly payment of $35 for 10GB data and unlimited calls and txt in 40 countries around the world

Sep 8, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #214 of 1,216

The upside to that, if you invest in some great lightning headphones, that have a DAC/Amp combo designed specifically for those headphones, you no longer have to worry about a stack, because everything is internal to the headphones, that would also be true if macbook pro users get a lightning port with the same audio support. There are some potential pluses, but there are also alot of potential negatives. 

This first iteration with the adapter, im not expected much of anything out of. That size with only passive cooling cannot be that high powered, which really makes me question the drive power of this setup with the 3.5mm adapter

The Audeze Sine, for instance, wouldn't it be easy to have a wireless version of that? Would people say the quality equals or excels some of the old stalwarts in the headphone world, like DT880, HD600, etc.? 

IEMs don't require as much driving power, so if you are using a high Ohm headphone that needs an amp you're probably stacking anyway and can connect via Lightning, if you aren't already.

(Or connect wirelessly to a Bluetooth amp in your pocket that your headphones are wired to).  

Sep 8, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #215 of 1,216
Most probably you can't understand what I write. I am not looking for better audio quality.

Then you are the perfect target for Apple's products, because you certainly won't get it. The W1-AirPods superimpose a lossy codec on top of whatever other compression you already have in your stored music files, piped to an Apple EarPod, which was never the best-sounding headphone to begin with. And that's best-case scenario, assuming you have no drop-outs or RFI/EMI effects. So best case scenario, they're going to sound worse than your existing EarPods. All for a mere $159+tax!

I understand the convenience factor of wireless, but we're many years away from wireless headphones that will rival the current best wired phones.   Forgive me in advance for being a cynic, but headfi is a website for people that care about audio quality. I don't understand why Apple shills would camp out on this site. I hope you're at least being paid minimum wage?

Sep 8, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #216 of 1,216

If you look into idevices DAC measurements the truth will shine on you.

FTR iPhone 6 dac/amp is the only dac/amp over the face of Earth that is pitch black with my Shure SE846s.

I always recommend the FiiO X5ii or X7 (with the am2 amp) to SE846 owners. The FiiO DAPs' SQ isn't quite as good as the best DAP I've ever heard (QP1R), but it's very close and, like the iPhone 6, those two FiiO DAPs have a perfectly black background with the SE846. They also have a regular 3.5 mm jack socket. The X7 even runs Android :)

@elfary, just trust me and buy an Android phone! I promise you won't regret it!

Sep 8, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #217 of 1,216
The original topic of this thread was about whether iP-7 would "revolutionize" its niche. Citing Apple's innovation history, with Macs, iPod, iPhone, and iPad, is irrelevant.  Apple has raised the bar of expectations far too high, with its past products. They've almost dug their own grave. Consumers will always expect another Apple "game-changer", like iPad and iPod (and also iPhone). Unfortunately, Apple hasn't yet delivered on a game-changing device in the post-Jobs era, yet.  Technology certainly advances very rapidly, but so does filling the proverbial graveyard of technological failures.

The verdict's not out yet on iP-7, but I don't think it's the Bluetooth "protocol"  (novel or not) in iP-7 that is innovative and revolutionary here.

Sep 8, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #218 of 1,216
Then you are the perfect target for Apple's products, because you certainly won't get it. The W1-AirPods superimpose a lossy codec on top of whatever other compression you already have in your stored music files, piped to an Apple EarPod, which was never the best-sounding headphone to begin with. And that's best-case scenario, assuming you have no drop-outs or RFI/EMI effects. So best case scenario, they're going to sound worse than your existing EarPods. All for a mere $159+tax!

I understand the convenience factor of wireless, but we're many years away from wireless headphones that will rival the current best wired phones.   Forgive me in advance for being a cynic, but headfi is a website for people that care about audio quality. I don't understand why Apple shills would camp out on this site. I hope you're at least being paid minimum wage?

Yes of course I am being paid minimum wage! Now since you have golden ears and you can hear the differences between flac and AAC, don't use the W1 AirPods yourself!! They are not produced for you. They are made for people like me who appreciate the quality of Beats Solo 2 and such...

And I am here because I believe that Apple and its products offer me the necessary high audio quality which is adequate to me and I like to talk more people into it! Is this forbidden by you? Don't you allow me to be here? Because then I should obay to your audiophile golden ears point of you and get away...Isn't it? I find you deeply democratic by the way...Good for you!

Sep 8, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #219 of 1,216
I always recommend the FiiO X5ii or X7 (with the am2 amp) to SE846 owners. The FiiO DAPs' SQ isn't quite as good as the best DAP I've ever heard (QP1R), but it's very close and, like the iPhone 6, those two FiiO DAPs have a perfectly black background with the SE846. They also have a regular 3.5 mm jack socket. The X7 even runs Android :)

Since you prefer Android, as you write above, why do you participate in the iPhone 7 thread? Or are you at least getting paid minimum wage??:))))

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #220 of 1,216

You can state your opinions and personal preferences without personal attacks. There is nothing wrong with people promoting brands that have a tremendous value to their personal preferences. Whether it's Apple or Android, or Astell Kern, there 's no difference. All are working hard to earn brand loyalty which any marketing professional will tell you is 90% emotional.

Lastly Headfi is an open community. There are no requirements to join. While members disagree on opinions, it's never good to exclude people due to personal bias. A larger more vibrant community is in everyone's best interest. I for one love watching somebody who has something like a Chord Dave to take the time to explain basic digital audio functionality to another member who listens just with their iPod. All done of course with mutual respect of what personally preferences want and more importantly can afford.

To your own argument, if more consumers want more out of wireless audio products, I'm sure audio vendors will accelerate their development towards better technology. By downplaying why people should want wireless audio, you are adding to the delay. The larger the community, the more voice we have with the trade.

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #221 of 1,216

Since you prefer Android, as you write above, why do you participate in the iPhone 7 thread? Or are you at least getting paid minimum wage??:))))

Cool down, it's an inside joke between us. And i still am an iPhone 6 user.

As i said before: if Apple provides me with a cheap, ergonomic and great sounding path to plug my iems i won't flee.

So far there is a cheap and ergonomic dongle but now it comes the tricky part: getting something as tiny as that dongle to provide a clean, powerful and linear signal (aka low Zout).

if the dongle fails to impress then i am leaving. If i am put in the position of having to choose between iPhone 7 and my SE846 & W30 then i am sticking with my headphones as i love good sounding music more than an iPhone.

If the tonality it's not right, then nothing else really matters.

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #222 of 1,216

You can state your opinions and personal preferences without personal attacks. There is nothing wrong with people promoting brands that have a tremendous value to their personal preferences. Whether it's Apple or Android, or Astell Kern, there 's no difference. All are working hard to earn brand loyalty which any marketing professional will tell you is 90% emotional.

Lastly Headfi is an open community. There are no requirements to join. While members disagree on opinions, it's never good to exclude people due to personal bias. A larger more vibrant community is in everyone's best interest. I for one love watching somebody who has something like a Chord Dave to take the time to explain basic digital audio functionality to another member who listens just with their iPod. All done of course with mutual respect of what personally preferences want and more importantly can afford.

To your own argument, if more consumers want more out of wireless audio products, I'm sure audio vendors will accelerate their development towards better technology. By downplaying why people should want wireless audio, you are adding to the delay. The larger the community, the more voice we have with the trade.

Tell that to the other forum user who instantly attacked me saying i have no clue what im talking about when it comes to mac vs windows computers, the personal attacks started there, not with the user youre addressing 

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #224 of 1,216
To get us back on track, let's consider one consequence of the removal of a headphone jack: The expansion of the external DAC/amp market. Lots of people on Head-Fi (myself included) use some form of external amplification on their mobile devices. They generally don't have DACs (since this requires MFi certification or whatever). This might be the ticket to getting high quality external DAC/amp combos into the mainstream, and may lower the cost of existing options (think Oppo HA-2, Sony PHA-1A) that are considered niche. That's my thought.

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #225 of 1,216
Good news you will be able to charge and listen to regular headphones if you have this $40 adapter (http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/8/12852098/belkin-apple-iphone-7-plus-adapter-dongle-charge-music) and the dongle....
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back