iPhone 6s Sound Quality
Jan 8, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #631 of 881
  ...the "snake oil" company is the biggest in the world and make many of the finest
devices of their kind around.

.... Your contempt for Apple is regrettable and distasteful 
and IMHO without rational foundation.

Don't know about "distasteful" but +1 to the rest.

I have been working with Apple's "Our way or the highway" attitude for over 20 years.  Working in school districts, I have seen the wanton disregard for security and the inability of Apple products to fit into a pre-existing network without major re-working of network folder structure due to Apple's simplistic and unyeilding OS.  Whenever Apple support is called they deny any problems with their products.

My contempt for Apple is well placed and justified.  If that is regrettable or distasteful to you then so be it.

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #632 of 881
It's not just Apple though is it. There are complaints regarding hiss with the Sony A15 Walkman a superb DAP as well as other sources. Sick of hearing SE846 owners complaining about every device they use.. The Sure is just too sensitive too low impedance. The fault lies with them for releasing such a picky piece of equipment. Choose something else it's hardly fit for purpose.

The SE846 may indeed be too sensitive, as there are many complaints about it.  However my ire was raised over the rumor that Apple has decided that it wants to get rid of the 3.5mm headphone jack in favor of something that they can charge a licensing fee for.

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #633 of 881
- calling people that own and like Apple products names, making them sound foolish for enjoying
world-class design and to each their own is what I object to. lemmings and other names are simplistic
and objectionable to many. 

the fact that there is a ready audience to chime in doesn't make it a constructive thing to express.

....one man's meat is another man's poison.

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #634 of 881

Whenever Apple support is called they deny any problems with their products.

My fav was the one time I sought Apple support for iphone. After about three hours on chat, with three levels of support, they finally admitted that there was a flaw. I asked them what the next step was, and they said there wasn't one. There was no way to report an admitted bug to engineering. This was not a small problem either.

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #636 of 881
I switched to iPhone because I couldn't find an Android phone that had sound quality that pleased me, including an HTC One M8 that was touted as having good quality. If Apple gets rid of the headphone jack, that just goes to show that they are more concerned with their mainstream customer base than the relatively small amount of audiophiles.

I will hang on to my 6s Plus for at least two years and then see if Sennheiser and RHA are making lightning versions of the two phones I use with the iPhone, PX100-IIi and RHA MA750i. I may still decide to switch to something else. I think Apple would like to replace an open standard with one for which manufacturers will have to pay licensing fees. And encourage even more lock-in for customers.

Jan 9, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #638 of 881
I am thinking that no adapter for traditional headphone plugs can come in retail box since Lightning port is all digital so that adapter would have to feature a dac and an amp....way too complicated to happen. I'm afraid that article is on the money: wireless earpods for everybody. And a handful of MFi Lightning headphones. What would people in Shure or Westone figure out? Cause what Apple is ditching here is the port and the internal amp that powered the analog jacks of every headphone.

Plugging my SE846s into the iPhone 7 seems unfeasible at this point. So au revoir iPhone 7.

Actually the Lightning to 30 pin adapter features a dac and line level output, so it's not inconcievable that a lightning to 3.5mm adapter will exist - after all the DACs and Class D amps used in current portable devices are generally integrated onto the same chip.

I think it's clear that Apple will have to offer an option to allow users to carry on using their existing headphones. Buying a $1000 phone and then having to buy a pair of overpriced but mediocre lightning headphones is not going to sit well with consumers in general, and will likely make a large number think that it's better to stay with their existing model - not good for Apple's sales.

Of course the adapter won't be in the box, it'll be a $50 accessory that, for most, will be a mandatory purchase - Apple didn't get rich by being generous.

At least I have some time to consider my options. I'm currently packing a 128GB 6, and if all goes well, I won't be considering a new phone until the 7s is on the market.

Jan 9, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #639 of 881
 If Apple gets rid of the headphone jack, that just goes to show that they are more concerned with their mainstream customer base than the relatively small amount of audiophiles.

Was there ever any doubt that this was not the case?  Why would you try to appease the .001% of your market vs. the rest of the population when you can never really satisfy audiophiles?

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #640 of 881
I am thinking that no adapter for traditional headphone plugs can come in retail box since Lightning port is all digital so that adapter would have to feature a dac and an amp....way too complicated to happen. I'm afraid that article is on the money: wireless earpods for everybody. And a handful of MFi Lightning headphones. What would people in Shure or Westone figure out? Cause what Apple is ditching here is the port and the internal amp that powered the analog jacks of every headphone.

Plugging my SE846s into the iPhone 7 seems unfeasible at this point. So au revoir iPhone 7.

The flagship of Shure should work out of the box since it comes with a dac and amp already.

There could also be a bluetooth receiver to plug in your IEM's. Someone will make it.

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #641 of 881
I read in the news today that Apple is working on wireless Beats earbuds or IEM's and they will ship with the iPhone 7.

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #642 of 881
Comparing iPhone 6s to my old 5s:

The difference is not HUGE. However 6s is better due to:
Tighter bass that is more controlled and not as bloated as 5s
Treble is a little smoother and less sibilant (a little).

Listening to iPhone>JH16ProFP on Tidal Hifi.

If iPhone 7 will not have the 3.5mm socket, then I will stick to my (at that time) old 6s.

Jan 20, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #643 of 881
My iPhone 6S plus skips the first second of a song when I use the Chord Hugo or Mojo. Is my iPhone defective?

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #644 of 881
My iPhone 6S plus skips the first second of a song when I use the Chord Hugo or Mojo. Is my iPhone defective?

I don't think so. Other people have mentioned this on the Mojo thread. Maybe do a search for info there?

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #645 of 881

Presently listening to some live concert recordings on my 6S, Mojo, HD800 combo and I would find such a skip to be very annoying. If you can't resolve the problem why not take advantage of your Apple warranty? You certainly paid a premium price so you ought to get satisfaction. Your situation is not normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back