iPhone 6s Sound Quality
Jan 5, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #604 of 881
I would like to ask you guys what do you think about sound quality despite buzzing/noise issue?

I switched my iPhone 5C for 6S a week ago and I'm not really satisfied. The change is subtle but definitely makes a difference. Listening music on 5C was much more enjoyable (sound very similar to my rMacbook pro 2014). I am not really good at describing sound but 6S has more punchy bass and more aggresive highs. It's driving me nuts cause I can't listen to some of my favorite electro and rap tracks because of fatigue. 

The only way I was able to make 6S sound more universal was to use Fidelio M2L. Those headphones uses a lightning port instead of headphone jack and has its own DAC.

Jan 5, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #605 of 881
I switched my iPhone 5C for 6S a week ago and I'm not really satisfied. The change is subtle but definitely makes a difference. Listening music on 5C was much more enjoyable (sound very similar to my rMacbook pro 2014). I am not really good at describing sound but 6S has more punchy bass and more aggresive highs. It's driving me nuts cause I can't listen to some of my favorite electro and rap tracks because of fatigue. 

Interesting observation. b.t.w. What earphones (model) did you use with 5C/6S, that showed that difference?

I don't notice anything like that, although, I don't have 5C. But I have 4, 5, 6, and 6S in my family. I can say, that besides "mosquito fart", 6s is less powerful (quieter), than 4, 5 and 6, but that's most likely because 6s is European version (Finland), others are either US or Russian.

But, besides lower max volume, I wouldn't say, that it sounds much different. Although my desktop DAC Does sound better, than any of our phones :)

Jan 5, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #606 of 881
  I would like to ask you guys what do you think about sound quality despite buzzing/noise issue?

The only way I was able to make 6S sound more universal was to use Fidelio M2L. Those headphones uses a lightning port instead of headphone jack and has its own DAC.

If the 5C sounds the same like the 5S, then 6S has more bass and the mids is more recessed based on what I hear with the Shure SE846. You can try the Onkyo HF player which features an EQ that you can apply to your music. Perhaps that could fix your problem.

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #608 of 881
People here might want to sign this.
http://act.sumofus.org/go/60814?t=2&akid=16260.2474115.u9402I

There will be an adapter so that your normal headphones will still work or use an external dac + amp.

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #609 of 881
http://www.gsmarena.com/report_from_iphone_7_supply_chain_says_no_35mm_audio_jack-news-15855.php

Nobody wants a big "adaptor" poking out of their phone.

Between LG improvements and Apple stupidity, the world is achangin...

Jan 6, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #610 of 881
...????????? .......Complaining about a device that hasn't even been anounced? World's largest company is stupid?????????

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #611 of 881
ok, here is why i think letting go of the 3.5mm audio port is not yet cool.

the iPhone itself will always have a DAC and amp since it has a loudspeaker - if I have a lightning headphone, with its own DAC and amp that eats power from my phone, no problem I can charge it while listening to......wait, I can't, only one port. Shoot.

In general, apple seems (not confirmed at all yet, we had this rumor with the iPhone 6 as well and it turned out to be not true) to see the future wireless or with lightning port. Fine. For me, no problem, I use lightning cck to iDSD micro, or C5D, or Hifi Skÿn etc. but I can see why people wouldn't really be very happy about omitting the 3.5mm port.

I somehow don't see it happening.

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #612 of 881
I don't know why Apple have this obsession with thinness. I actually prefer the form factor of the 5..
I'd rather they stuck a decent battery in the damn thing!

Jan 6, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #613 of 881

Really love this thread.  Have learned a lot and appreciate the professionalism of the posters.  

I've got a 6S Plus and have nothing but praise for the sound.  Have connected Westone W60's and Noble Savant's to it.  Frankly, I can't hear the difference when I play my DSD songs through the Onkyo HF app with my iFi Nano attached or just having it go straight to the headphones via PCM conversion.  I don't consider myself an audiophile, but I do know the songs I'm playing very well and for the life of me, I can't tell a big difference.  I've done the blinded tests as well (NPR had a great test) and when I think I've heard 192/24 flac file, I end up picking the 320 mp3.  Granted, so much of this is subjective.  But, I remember reading the threads about the benefits of pure silver headphone cables and man...  well, you get my drift.  

That said, I've always been curious about whether I'd hear a difference between the 6S Plus and the newer Hi-Res players like the Fiio X7?  For me, form follows function.  And while I love the sound of the iPhone 6 Plus, I don't relish the idea of using the rubber bands to hold a DAC to it.  Fiio X7 ticks a lot of the boxes, because you're getting an Android device with an excellent DAC and access to the Google Play store.  But if you read about Pono, there are MANY opinions stating it sounds no better than the iPhone.  

Again, the sound of the iPhone 6S Plus is great and to me.  It's always seemed that the quality of the headphones vs the device or music format that makes the biggest difference.  I'm still open to thoughts about an alternative device, though.

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #614 of 881
ok, here is why i think letting go of the 3.5mm audio port is not yet cool.

the iPhone itself will always have a DAC and amp since it has a loudspeaker - if I have a lightning headphone, with its own DAC and amp that eats power from my phone, no problem I can charge it while listening to......wait, I can't, only one port. Shoot.

In general, apple seems (not confirmed at all yet, we had this rumor with the iPhone 6 as well and it turned out to be not true) to see the future wireless or with lightning port. Fine. For me, no problem, I use lightning cck to iDSD micro, or C5D, or Hifi Skÿn etc. but I can see why people wouldn't really be very happy about omitting the 3.5mm port.

I somehow don't see it happening.

Well, they ditched the dvd drive from their computers when nobody else dared to.

I think that the days of the 3.5 mm port are counted. But i hope that whatever comes will be better and that an adapter for 3.5mm headphones will be included in the retail box.

Only time will tell but as of now i'm more worried about the shielding. I'd wish utter blackness comes back on iPhone 7.

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #615 of 881
If this has already been shared, my apologies, but the thought behind the elimination of the 3.5mm jack is so they can move away from the 48kHz limitation on music and expand it to 96kHz.  Here's the article I saw that referenced it December 21st.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/12/21/high-resolution-audio-once-more-rumored-to-be-coming-to-itunes-maybe-to-apple-music/

From 9to5mac.com

"Japanese blog Macotakara claims that Apple is planning better-than-CD quality audio for iTunes at some point in 2016.
According to several insiders familiar with Apple, whose products are exhibited at Portable Audio Festival, Apple has been developing hi-res audio streaming up to 96kHz/24-bit in 2016. 

By way of comparison, CDs offer 44kHz/16-bit. The sources cited appear to be manufacturers making Lightning-based headphones, which would support the hi-res format. It should be noted, however, that Apple has been sourcing at least some of its music at 96kHz/24-bit for many years …

Apple first started asking music labels to supply the high-resolution audio files almost four years ago, for its Mastered for iTunes albums. At that time, Apple was then doing its own encoding to a lower-resolution format. The company said at the time that it had an eye to rolling out higher-resolution versions at a later date.
Keeping the highest quality masters available in our systems allows for full advantage of future improvements to your music.

It was suggested last year that Apple was planning to release at least some albums in 96kHz/24-bit form later the same year, with Macotakara lending its support for the rumor a month later.

There have also been long-running suggestions that Apple plans to ditch the 3.5mm audio jack in favor of Lightning, the latest of them once more from Macotakara. In our own poll, the majority of you expected Apple to go this route."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back