iPhone 6s Sound Quality
Jan 7, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #616 of 881
They could just update their dac to one that can handle it. Otherwise we can already pass higher resolution through the CCK and hires player apps like Onkyo.

I don't buy that explanation. I think it's all about saving space to get smaller and just another way to get manufacturers to pony up for certification licenses.

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #617 of 881
They could just update their dac to one that can handle it. Otherwise we can already pass higher resolution through the CCK and hires player apps like Onkyo.

I don't buy that explanation. I think it's all about saving space to get smaller and just another way to get manufacturers to pony up for certification licenses.

The making money angle wouldn't make a lot of sense, since they could make money off the $29 CCK as it is now, plus those apps in the app store. There are also amps that are MFI certified, like the JVC SU-AX7, Peachtreeaudio Shift, and Celsus Sound Companion One etc., so the CCK isn't really needed. So whether a consumer buys lightning headphones, the CCK, or certified amps/DACs, Apple is still getting money. 

I would wager it has more to do with elegance. Apple works hard to make technology "invisible" to it's users, and would probably find the idea of customers carrying around amps to be repulsive. It for example, reminds me of this segment from the iPhone 5S keynote:

(This is from JDS Labs)

Regular people don't care about this stuff the way we do. Regular people aren't going to go learn about headphones, then go learn about amps, then learn about DACs. The idea of having lightning power the headphones, and the headphones have a built-in DAC and amp, seems genius in hindsight. It doesn't even have to sound the best.

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #618 of 881
I wouldn't be surprised to learn Apple collects money from every unit of a mfi certified sold. That's how the App Store works. 30% of of your app price and 30% of all your in app purchases. A $29 CCK dongle and a $10 Onkyo app would be peanuts compared to that. I have no idea how the mfi certification works but I have to assume it's lucrative.

At any rate I don't consider dongles elegant and I certainly don't think an inline dac on an iem is elegant either. I'm all for new tech but so far I haven't heard any reasoning that makes me excited about this rumored change as an iem user.

Jan 7, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #619 of 881
 World's largest company is stupid?????????

Looks like  the world's largest company will soon be the Saudi gov's oil co. You know the Saudis, the ones who beheaded 50 people they didn't like last week...

http://www.businessinsider.com/saudi-aramco-could-look-at-ipo-economist-says-2016-1

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #620 of 881
I wouldn't be surprised to learn Apple collects money from every unit of a mfi certified sold. That's how the App Store works. 30% of of your app price and 30% of all your in app purchases. A $29 CCK dongle and a $10 Onkyo app would be peanuts compared to that. I have no idea how the mfi certification works but I have to assume it's lucrative.

At any rate I don't consider dongles elegant and I certainly don't think an inline dac on an iem is elegant either. I'm all for new tech but so far I haven't heard any reasoning that makes me excited about this rumored change as an iem user.

That would depend on how many people are buying those apps/ subscriptions, vs. the markup on the CCK. 

I don't know how the amp/DAC situation will play out on IEMS. The only in-ear that uses lightning so far, are the JBL Reflect Aware, and those don't seem to be geared towards music. The Audeze video might shed some light on this (Embedded below).

On the other hand, the Sony MDR-1ADAC are an example of the "elegant" solution they're envisioning, and according to a rave review here, they sound fantastic. Next up are the Audeze EL-8 Titanium. A Planar magnetic running out an iPhone only? No external amp or DAC. Just plug it in and go? It's so crazy, it just might work. 

Jan 7, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #621 of 881
  On the other hand, the Sony MDR-1ADAC are an example of the "elegant" solution they're envisioning, and according to a rave review here, they sound fantastic. Next up are the Audeze EL-8 Titanium. A Planar magnetic running out an iPhone only? No external amp or DAC. Just plug it in and go? It's so crazy, it just might work.

http://www.hifiman.com/products/detail/238

$299 and no lightning cable necessary. 

Edit: These look sexier though. Looking forward to some impressions soon: https://www.audeze.com/products/sine-series/sine-ear-headphone
At 20ohms, the iPhone should drive them too. I had seen reports it would work with the cipher lightning cable but it doesn't mention it on the product page.

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #622 of 881
http://9to5mac.com/2016/01/05/apple-dropping-removing-headphone-port-iphone-7/

I will not buy an iPhone without a headphone jack and I had iPhone/iPhone 3G/4/5S/6S. I don´t wanna carry adapters with me. That is just stupid.

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #623 of 881
  http://9to5mac.com/2016/01/05/apple-dropping-removing-headphone-port-iphone-7/

I will not buy an iPhone without a headphone jack and I had iPhone/iPhone 3G/4/5S/6S. I don´t wanna carry adapters with me. That is just stupid.

I am thinking that no adapter for traditional headphone plugs can come in retail box since Lightning port is all digital so that adapter would have to feature a dac and an amp....way too complicated to happen. I'm afraid that article is on the money: wireless earpods for everybody. And a handful of MFi Lightning headphones. What would people in Shure or Westone figure out? Cause what Apple is ditching here is the port and the internal amp that powered the analog jacks of every headphone.

Plugging my SE846s into the iPhone 7 seems unfeasible at this point. So au revoir iPhone 7.

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #624 of 881
I am thinking that no adapter for traditional headphone plugs can come in retail box since Lightning port is all digital so that adapter would have to feature a dac and an amp....way too complicated to happen. I'm afraid that article is on the money: wireless earpods for everybody. And a handful of MFi Lightning headphones. What would people in Shure or Westone figure out? Cause what Apple is ditching here is the port and the internal amp that powered the analog jacks of every headphone.

Plugging my SE846s into the iPhone 7 seems unfeasible at this point. So au revoir iPhone 7.

Or au revoir SE846:))

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #625 of 881
Or au revoir SE846:))

I hope you're kidding.  The thought of ditching a high-end IEM in order to maintain your "Apple-Lemming" status is repulsive to me.  Apple has been spinning their technology as superior for years, when in fact their technology has been developed solely to bolster their bottom line.  They want to get away from the 3.5mm plug, for which they receive no royalty, so they can charge a premium licensing fee on whatever they come up with next.  Can you tell I hate Apple?  I lump them in with Bose as snake oil.

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #626 of 881
Taking out 3.5mm jacks is just a rumor, and if it happens, it would kill Apple economically wise. Why ? Because that would drive Heaphones and IEMS into an "insane price". Because it would have to use "lightning port" and by that it will need integrated DAC and amplification. For the people that love music, they rather buy their own DAC and amp and have freedom to trade on their "regular headphones and gears". I don't believe Apple is that simple minded to do such thing. Beside, while enjoying music or movie....how can you charge your iPhone ?wireless ? Yeah....lol whatever. I don't hate Apple, but if they do this, I wouldn't buy it or even look at it.

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #628 of 881
...the "snake oil" company is the biggest in the world and make many of the finest
devices of their kind around.

.... Your contempt for Apple is regrettable and distasteful 
and IMHO without rational foundation.

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #629 of 881
...the "snake oil" company is the biggest in the world and make many of the finest
devices of their kind around.

.... Your contempt for Apple is regrettable and distasteful 
and IMHO without rational foundation.

Don't know about "distasteful" but +1 to the rest.

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #630 of 881
I hope you're kidding.  The thought of ditching a high-end IEM in order to maintain your "Apple-Lemming" status is repulsive to me.  Apple has been spinning their technology as superior for years, when in fact their technology has been developed solely to bolster their bottom line.  They want to get away from the 3.5mm plug, for which they receive no royalty, so they can charge a premium licensing fee on whatever they come up with next.  Can you tell I hate Apple?  I lump them in with Bose as snake oil.

It's not just Apple though is it. There are complaints regarding hiss with the Sony A15 Walkman a superb DAP as well as other sources. Sick of hearing SE846 owners complaining about every device they use.. The Sure is just too sensitive too low impedance. The fault lies with them for releasing such a picky piece of equipment. Choose something else it's hardly fit for purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back