iPhone 6s Sound Quality
Nov 22, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #406 of 881
Many thanks, I was hoping someone will do exactly that kind of measurement.
5db at that level is most probably not audible for anyone .. and surely impossible to hear in any portable conditions. But it's probably much more with particular phones & HPs.

The trouble is that a measurable 5db diff clearly proves that something very wrong happens there. Wish apple would do something about it but I highly doubt .. looks like waiting for the 7 is the only 'solution'

Don't wait for anything. Just stick with iPhone 6 which is awesome and enjoy your music!

Nov 24, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #407 of 881
Can we just say there's a random 5db increase of noise when using?

Which is indeed very interesting 'cause detecting 5db of difference happens to be the requirement to pass Philips Golden Ears challenge "basic level".

Mind you when it comes to noise detection, the requirement is much bigger, -39db , I think it is.

That electronic interference noise is very different noise than say normal noise floor of an iphone.
That 5dB "increase"/electronic interference @-95dB is usually below threshold of hearing.

That -95dB buzzing noise could be the best case scenario( that was measured with RME FireFace 800).
I know that with cx-310 for example the interference noise must be louder than -95dB.

My theory is that when iphone is paired with ultra sensitive BAs or some such headphones, that interference could become much louder, not only easier to hear but actually louder/worse... then it becomes harder to tolerate.

Nov 25, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #408 of 881
Don't wait for anything. Just stick with iPhone 6 which is awesome and enjoy your music!

Couldn't agree more: iphone 6 + shure se530 + Campfire Headphase by BoC = Audio Nirvana :)

Nov 25, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #409 of 881
I have tested TSMC & Samsung iPhone 6s versions and have listened to them with Shure SE846 IEM's. I have been quite happy with the sound quality and have not noticed a difference between them.
What bothers me though is that after the music has finished and the phone has gone to standby, after some time (maybe 1 minute or longer) I hear clicking/popping noises through the earbuds at about 5 second intervals.
This seems to continue for some time or until the phone is woken and some music is selected or some other activity is done on the phone.

I realise that most people won't notice this because the SE846 are sensitive earphones and most won't be wearing them without listening to music or doing some other activity on the phone. It also happens with Westone 4's. I can't comment on any other IEM's but am guessing it happens with most sensitive balanced armature IEM's.

The reason it bothers me is because I often wear them at night and fall asleep with the earbuds on (and subsequently they act as great earplugs!) but am woken by the clicking/popping some time later, until it becomes so annoying I have to disconnect the earphone cable from the phone  so as I can fall asleep again.

Because of this I have had to swap with my wifes iPhone 6 which exhibits no issues at all with interference throught the earbuds, and my wife has got the 6s which she uses with less sensitive earbuds.

I have also compared battery life between the TSMC (N71mAP) & Samsung (N71AP) CPU iPhone 6s and for me although Geekbench does indicate a better battery performance for the TSMC chip, I found that playing identical media files for several hours in flight mode using Infuse showed the Samsung phone to have better battery performance for that activity. 

I did not find any differences between the 2 phones in relation to the sound issues I am having.

Nov 27, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #413 of 881
I own an RHA 750i and I can clearly hear the noise. The noise from the app switcher it barely noticeable, but the noise from control center and especially siri is very loud. I hear electrical noise with occasional popping noise. It's a 64GB Samsung chip model.

Nov 27, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #414 of 881
  I own an RHA 750i and I can clearly hear the noise. The noise from the app switcher it barely noticeable, but the noise from control center and especially siri is very loud. I hear electrical noise with occasional popping noise. It's a 64GB Samsung chip model.

I have a 128GB Samsung 6s+, just tried to hear noise while fiddling with Control Center, can't hear a thing. Adjusting the brightness, I can't hear anything.

Given that I have HF hearing loss, perhaps that's why I can't hear any noise? I can hear up to 14kHz.

Nov 28, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #415 of 881
I have a 128GB Samsung 6s+, just tried to hear noise while fiddling with Control Center, can't hear a thing. Adjusting the brightness, I can't hear anything.

Given that I have HF hearing loss, perhaps that's why I can't hear any noise? I can hear up to 14kHz.

There are people who have problems with noise on the 6s and some that do not.
I have the 6s and have heard no problems.
Either this is only an issue with some handsets or maybe those who report no problems are all old duffers (I am almost 60) who have sufficient hearing loss that we cannot hear the problem!
Either way I am happily using the 6s with Tidal and a pair of K10's. The best sound on the move that I have ever had.
I hope you enjoy your music with the 6s+.

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #416 of 881
There are people who have problems with noise on the 6s and some that do not.
I have the 6s and have heard no problems.
Either this is only an issue with some handsets or maybe those who report no problems are all old duffers (I am almost 60) who have sufficient hearing loss that we cannot hear the problem!
Either way I am happily using the 6s with Tidal and a pair of K10's. The best sound on the move that I have ever had.
I hope you enjoy your music with the 6s+.

Thanks. Likewise for your 6s.
beerchug.gif

Nov 28, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #417 of 881

Perhaps it's limited to certain batches? After further using I can actually hear the buzzing whenever I'm doing something active such as reading my emails or downloading apps.

Nov 29, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #418 of 881
Perhaps it's limited to certain batches? After further using I can actually hear the buzzing whenever I'm doing something active such as reading my emails or downloading apps.

That's a lot to accept from 1000 eur device!! Hope that Apple will realize what went wrong with 3D Touch implementation or whatever and resolve the issues...

Nov 29, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #420 of 881
Many thanks, I was hoping someone will do exactly that kind of measurement.
5db at that level is most probably not audible for anyone .. and surely impossible to hear in any portable conditions. But it's probably much more with particular phones & HPs.

The trouble is that a measurable 5db diff clearly proves that something very wrong happens there. Wish apple would do something about it but I highly doubt .. looks like waiting for the 7 is the only 'solution'

Don't know if it has been posted yet, but: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/11/27/iphone-7-no-3-5mm-headphone-jack-lightning/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back