iPhone 6s Sound Quality
Nov 8, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #391 of 881
Picked up a cheap second hand iphone 6 plus in excellent condition. Sounds fabulous and no troublesome interference. Also battery life seems marginally better than 6s plus. Not yet missing 3D touch although I have occasionally prodded hard on the glass and wondered why nothing happening lol.

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #392 of 881
I've got iPhone 6S and with GR07BE can't hear any noises except the amp discharging from time to time, but GR07 are not very sensitive and they are 50 Ohm. So perfect match for the iPhone.

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #393 of 881
Had an Iphone 6s plus for a week now (bought in the UK).

There is definitely some emi going on as when I have the earphones in with no music playing, every now and then I get a bit of crackling etc and to my ears there is slightly more background hiss than I experienced on my iphone 4 and HTC One.

I can also detect some cpu noise if I use the app switcher with no music playing, but in reality I fail to see how you could detect it when you are actually listening to music so I personally don't think it's a major issue.

I'm using Fisher Audio DBA-02 Mark II earphones, but maybe they are not as sensitive as the specs would suggest.

The 6s plus sounds very good, if a little too bass heavy for my tastes, but hopefully I can EQ that out a bit. The only slight disappointment is background hiss (only on certain recordings), but maybe I'm just looking for it.

Thinking of getting either Neutron or Kaisertone music players. Can anyone recommend which is better or not to bother at all? I have Onkyo player, but to my ears there isn't a noticeable improvement over the stock music player. In fact, surprisingly, my music seems to sound better via the Amazon music app with noticeably less background hiss.

Which brings me to another issue in that neither the stock player or the Onkyo can recognise the music I've downloaded from Amazon Prime music.

Will Kaisertone or Neutron play my downloaded Amazon Prime tracks?

Nov 14, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #395 of 881
I just received my JH Audio Angie universals and they seem to be pretty sensitive. I can definitely hear the noise with them when I call up Siri and mess around with the screen brightness. Other than that I can't hear it with the task switcher or while streaming tidal hifi and it sounds freaking brilliant. So for me this is a non issue.

Nov 15, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #396 of 881

Which brings me to another issue in that neither the stock player or the Onkyo can recognise the music I've downloaded from Amazon Prime music.

Will Kaisertone or Neutron play my downloaded Amazon Prime tracks?

Amazon Prime music can't be played through anything other than the AmazonMusic app.

I've not tried Kaisertone, but Neutron is very good if you're using cd quality rips - as are EQu, CanOpener and Accudio Pro.

EQu has the most flexible & easy to use equaliser IMO, but I haven't found any of them to really give you a sudden upgrade in sound. They just provide the ability to tweak it far more accurately than the Apple Music player.

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #398 of 881
Since the iPhone 4S, all my upgrades have been good but I still prefer the sound from the 4S. Just went from the 6 plus to the 6S plus. This is my new Favourite. Reminds me of the 4S just better! Listening to this with AKG K3003. Pure pleasure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #399 of 881
http://m.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_6s-review-1314p7.php
Audio measurements at the bottom of the page .. nothing suspicious there .. but I guess noone tested for the kind of app-noise discussed here

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #400 of 881
I would stick with my iPhone 6 plus and buy a dap instead. I still prefer iPhone 4s and imod's sound signagtue. Sometimes iPhone 6+ and iPod Touch 6 sound too clinical and without nuance (imo the bass on iPod Touch 6 is really good, tho).

Edit: oops..typo

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #401 of 881
I got a new iPhone 6S about a month ago. I purchased a HRT iDSP DAC to go with it. I also own a HRT microStreamer which I used with my old phone an iPhone 5S. I never had any issues with the 5S and MicroStreamer. With the microStreamer or the iDSP and iPhone 6S I get intermittant subtle popping when playing 44 kHz FLAC files. I do not get the popping with higher sampling rate FLAC files. I also own a HERUS DAC and have no playback issues when used with the 6S. The popping occurs whith both FLAC players on my phone, the Onyko HF Player and the FLAC Player. The 6S by itself plays fine without any popping. Anyone have any opinions? Are the HRT DACS not compatible with the 6S. If so HRT should remedy the problem since they make the iDSP specifically for the iPhone. Or is it the phone? Thanks for any input.

Nov 18, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #402 of 881
I'm a bit late to the "iphone6s is buzzing" party, but anyways. . .

Just bumped into this iPhone 6S/S+ noise leak phenomena and decided to measure my own iphone 6s+ headphone-out for noise leak.

So i connected my iPhone 6S+ to RME Fireface 800 and recorded while using app switcher, control center and scrolling playlists etc...
And then i did the same with iPad Air2 and iPod touch 5th gen. for control.

All three devices showed about -101dB when idle but iPhone 6S+ was only device that started to leak noise when interacted with.
the "buzzing" noise of iphone 6s+ measured -96dB at it's loudest.

That -96dB isn't that huge of a deal, BUT then again. . .

CX-310 is the only headphone of mine that i've heard buzzing with iphone6s+, though it's pretty quiet buzzing, so quiet in fact that i doubt i would have noticed it without seeing certain youtube video. I might have forgot ever owning a pair of cx-310 before i saw that fine YouTube video by Lachlan, and started switching different cans and buds into iphone.

I played that -96dB noise recording in WaveLab at regular listening gain using cx-310 and couldn't hear it ....so i guess cx-310 draws more noise out of iphone6s+ than RME fireface 800 does.

It would be nice if some one could measure iphone6s/6s+ and prove that there are devices that are not affected by this noise bleed issue.
(would be surprised to see that)

Curious thing this, really a non issue for me(i don't own BAs), but interesting.

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #403 of 881

Just bumped into this iPhone 6S/S+ noise leak phenomena and decided to measure my own iphone 6s+ headphone-out for noise leak.

So i connected my iPhone 6S+ to RME Fireface 800 and recorded while using app switcher, control center and scrolling playlists etc...

All three devices showed about -101dB when idle but iPhone 6S+ was only device that started to leak noise when interacted with.

Can we just say there's a random 5db increase of noise when using?

Which is indeed very interesting 'cause detecting 5db of difference happens to be the requirement to pass Philips Golden Ears challenge "basic level".

Mind you when it comes to noise detection, the requirement is much bigger, -39db , I think it is.

Nov 21, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #404 of 881

CX-310 is the only headphone of mine that i've heard buzzing with iphone6s+, though it's pretty quiet buzzing, so quiet in fact that i doubt i would have noticed it without seeing certain youtube video. I might have forgot ever owning a pair of cx-310 before i saw that fine YouTube video by Lachlan, and started switching different cans and buds into iphone.

I played that -96dB noise recording in WaveLab at regular listening gain using cx-310 and couldn't hear it ....so i guess cx-310 draws more noise out of iphone6s+ than RME fireface 800 does.

It would be nice if some one could measure iphone6s/6s+ and prove that there are devices that are not affected by this noise bleed issue.

Curious thing this, really a non issue for me(i don't own BAs), but interesting.

If you connect the iPhone 6S to a dedicated DAC + AMP / soundcard, the problem disappears. Atleast when I connected it with the Chord Hugo. So not sure if this test is the right way.

The problem is in the headphone output of the iPhone 6S plus.

Nov 22, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #405 of 881

Many thanks, I was hoping someone will do exactly that kind of measurement.
5db at that level is most probably not audible for anyone .. and surely impossible to hear in any portable conditions. But it's probably much more with particular phones & HPs.

The trouble is that a measurable 5db diff clearly proves that something very wrong happens there. Wish apple would do something about it but I highly doubt .. looks like waiting for the 7 is the only 'solution'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back