iPhone 6s Sound Quality
Nov 3, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #361 of 881
That click is not going to be anything to do with the chipset that the phone is using, that click is a cap discharge after the headphone amp is turned of internally.

I think people are blowing up this 6S sound quality issue to be more than something it is.

1. Ok you might be ablle to hear some whistling or buzzing when asking the processor to do something, but if the phone is otherwise dead silent then it's not going to impact on your listening.

2. A click or pop a second or so after stopping the music is not going to impact on your listening.

So far, in this thread, I've seen nothing that would prevent me from buying a 6S, even if all I was going to do with it is listen to music

I think people are concerned that if the phone is making noises under any conditions, it may well be making them while music is playing and therefore downgrading SQ. I haven't heard any evidence of this but as I have said, my hearing is not the best.

Nov 3, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #362 of 881
I think it's more of a case that Apple's product has been pretty fantastic for a long time now and we don't want to see quality to start slipping. For most this is a non issue with music going and most in-ears but please Apple don't let this be a slippery slope to mediocrity or worse.

Nov 3, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #363 of 881
Just ftr the emi noise is what never had happened on an iPhone headphone port.

A clicking noise when the headphone amp shuts down has happened always and it is not an issue of any kind.

If the tonality it's not right, then nothing else really matters.

Nov 3, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #364 of 881
T
I think it's more of a case that Apple's product has been pretty fantastic for a long time now and we don't want to see quality to start slipping. For most this is a non issue with music going and most in-ears but please Apple don't let this be a slippery slope to mediocrity or worse.
The sad fact is that even though Apple pretty much reinvented portable listening with the iPod, they are all about mass market. Apple never claimed to cater to us high SQ crowd. :frowning2:

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #365 of 881
A clicking noise when the headphone amp shuts down has happened always and it is not an issue of any kind.

This was in previous models? I guess I was never looking for it before. Are we sure clicking heard with the app switcher is the amp shutting down? It doesn't do it ever time I access the app switcher.

T
The sad fact is that even though Apple pretty much reinvented portable listening with the iPod, they are all about mass market. Apple never claimed to cater to us high SQ crowd. :frowning2:

This is the ongoing and forever head-fi argument. I think iPhone SQ has been great since the 4. Whether or not Apple caters to audiophiles, I still don't want to see their quality go backwards from where it has been and is currently.

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #366 of 881
This is the ongoing and forever head-fi argument. I think iPhone SQ has been great since the 4. Whether or not Apple caters to audiophiles, I still don't want to see their quality go backwards from where it has been and is currently.

I agree with you. I have used Apple devices for music for years. iPods and iPhones since the 4S. Been very happy with them all.
Apple always seem keen to advertise improvements to the camera and screen. Never mention audio.
The Lightning connector didn't make life easy for anyone wanting a LO.
This current issue would indicate a lack of care for audio. Hey ho!

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #367 of 881
That click is not going to be anything to do with the chipset that the phone is using, that click is a cap discharge after the headphone amp is turned of internally.

I think people are blowing up this 6S sound quality issue to be more than something it is.

1. Ok you might be ablle to hear some whistling or buzzing when asking the processor to do something, but if the phone is otherwise dead silent then it's not going to impact on your listening.

2. A click or pop a second or so after stopping the music is not going to impact on your listening.

So far, in this thread, I've seen nothing that would prevent me from buying a 6S, even if all I was going to do with it is listen to music

This is head fi where some people spend thousands of dollars to hear 1 dB difference of treble.
You should get used to it.

But choosing gear on your own merits is something we all definitely agree upon.

Nov 4, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #368 of 881
This was in previous models? I guess I was never looking for it before. Are we sure clicking heard with the app switcher is the amp shutting down? It doesn't do it ever time I access the app switcher.

On my iPhone 3Gs, 4s, 5s and 6 whenever an album finishes after a few seconds i hear a couple of clicks. No hiss no static no buzzing of any kind under no circumstances wifi, app switcher, tinkering with apps.

What i have heard on every iPhone 6s i have tried is a buzzing interference (screeeeecchhhhhhh sound) that happens on a few instances. One of them when you launch app switcher. This is regardless of the amp section being working or sleeping. That's why i'm 100% sure that it's electrical noise from cpu bleeding into headphone port.

FTR i am listening now to my ancient iPhone 3Gs and it sounds so beautiful with my Shure SE846s that i'd count from it the iPhone generations with great and flawless sound: 3Gs, 4, 4s, 5, 5s and 6.

6s sounds beautiful as well but there is an inferior shielding going on that depending on the user can be bothering. And in any case should be there cause it never was before.

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #369 of 881
I've just upgraded from a 4S to the 6s & despite not hearing the 'buzzing' referred to in this thread, it sounds noticeably worse (muffled mids) with every iem I own & with every 3rd party music app I've tried.
Disappointing.

Nov 4, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #370 of 881
I've just upgraded from a 4S to the 6s & despite not hearing the 'buzzing' referred to in this thread, it sounds noticeably worse (muffled mids) with every iem I own & with every 3rd party music app I've tried.
Disappointing.

Clear as a bell here.

Nov 4, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #371 of 881
I think people are concerned that if the phone is making noises under any conditions, it may well be making them while music is playing and therefore downgrading SQ. I haven't heard any evidence of this but as I have said, my hearing is not the best.

it also happens also during music play back. It's very hard to hear it though, but it can be heard at low volumes.

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #372 of 881
Hmmmm, I was about to start a thread on the "improved" 6S sound quality I thought i was hearing; it sounds extremely close to DAC level to me. Seems a lot clearer than the previous generations to me.

Nov 4, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #373 of 881
I think all recent iPhones have had a very clean flat signal. Including the 6S notwithstanding this noise issue which I can totally understand being a deal breaker for those affected.
I doubt that there is actually a difference in sound between generations.

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #374 of 881
Owned the iPhone 6s plus, could definitely hear the interference noise when the screen was active, but only in a quiet room, with a quiet track and with sensitive iems. Sold the phone due to general dissatisfaction with size, but the sound was usual flat accurate apple signature.

Although the extraneous noise was not a deal breaker for me, I agree with the earlier poster who said it is disappointing to see apple being sloppy about their audio circuitry insulation. For me, it was always a big selling point for the iPhone that the noise floor was totally silent. I love classical music, and during quiet passages of music, any circuitry generated hiss is really off putting. Not so much of an issue when cranking out Nirvana though :wink:

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #375 of 881
I only hear the hiss/noise only when the iPhone is plugged in.
I don't hear any of it when I listen with screen on/off. Not much of an issue to me.

I still like my iPod 5.5 generation more :) (Should I iMod it?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back