iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Apr 23, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #1,486 of 1,973

Adding and managing storage:

If you have the iPhone 6 16gb, purchase the 64 or 128gb versions to "add storage".

If you have the iPhone 6 64gb, purchase the 128gb version to "add storage".

For any other iPhone that you own, the similar options apply.

You can also move photos, videos, etc from the iPhone to a 3rd party storage application, like Dropbox and/or 4Sync so you can load more music files onto your iPhone, if you so choose.

There are applications like Tonido where you can stream/play your music files through your home server as well - negating the need for additional iPhone onboard storage.

i use flac files and i have the iphone 6 plus 128 giga
i need more storage and at the same time connect the iphone to my ifi micro dsd 

dam i wish there was way for that and online storage will not work for me

is there maybe an external case that allows me to add more storage and allow me to conenct my iphone to an external dac

Apr 23, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #1,487 of 1,973
i use flac files and i have the iphone 6 plus 128 giga
i need more storage and at the same time connect the iphone to my ifi micro dsd 

dam i wish there was way for that and online storage will not work for me

is there maybe an external case that allows me to add more storage and allow me to conenct my iphone to an external dac

It's an expensive fix, but case manufacturer Mophie announced new space packs for the iPhone 6 & 6+. Previous models only offered 16 & 32 gb of extra storage but now they go up to 128 gb. The only problem is that integration with the standard music app is not supported, or at least with first gen of space packs that was the case. They live in the mophie app and play from there.
Prices go from $150-300.
http://www.mophie.com/shop/space-pack-iphone-6-plus
The case charges & connects to your computer via micro usb so I assume an outboard dac shouldn't give it any problems.

Apr 23, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #1,488 of 1,973
It's an expensive fix, but case manufacturer Mophie announced new space packs for the iPhone 6 & 6+. Previous models only offered 16 & 32 gb of extra storage but now they go up to 128 gb. The only problem is that integration with the standard music app is not supported, or at least with first gen of space packs that was the case. They live in the mophie app and play from there.
Prices go from $150-300.
http://www.mophie.com/shop/space-pack-iphone-6-plus
The case charges & connects to your computer via micro usb so I assume an outboard dac shouldn't give it any problems.

really wish to know if then connecting my iphone to ifi micro dsd will work with that case

Apr 23, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #1,489 of 1,973
really wish to know if then connecting my iphone to ifi micro dsd will work with that case

Yes, interested in this as well. And can the Onkyo HF Player app sync and work with the Mophie app?

Apr 23, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #1,490 of 1,973
Yes, interested in this as well. And can the Onkyo HF Player app sync and work with the Mophie app?

really wish if someone can shed light on this it will solve so many issues 

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #1,491 of 1,973
  Hmm, I was able to wirelessly play from my server on 8.3, but so far I haven't figured out how to get it done in 8.4.  That could be a problem if they've done away with that feature.  I could always do it using my Synology app, but I would use the Apple app more if it maintained that feature.

Jazzi... did you ever get this to work....    I had it working until the last update... 

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #1,492 of 1,973

Jazzi... did you ever get this to work....    I had it working until the last update... 

Dixter, no.  Found out later that it's a known issue that isn't working for this version.  I'm sure it will reappear soon -- at least, I hope so.  Another example of being kicked in my early-adopter pants.

Apr 24, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #1,494 of 1,973
Also look into an iUSBport HD.
If you have an app that supports HTTP/FTP/WebDAV/DLNA/uPnP/PTP/SMB/
(ripped that list from the product info)
you can use it as a wireless source.
you can use any size hard drive (you install it) or even attach another hard drive via its own usb ports to feed that to your phone.
I know the app "GoldenEar" supports that stuff.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #1,495 of 1,973
If you're streaming from home consider stream from a NAS.
I've got my whole music collection ripped as FLAC files on a Synology NAS and use Dnla apps to stream on the iPhone 6 plus 128GB. When on the move I use the internal storage and move whichever files I want using iMazing to the 6 plus.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #1,496 of 1,973
Also look into an iUSBport HD.
If you have an app that supports HTTP/FTP/WebDAV/DLNA/uPnP/PTP/SMB/
(ripped that list from the product info)
you can use it as a wireless source.
you can use any size hard drive (you install it) or even attach another hard drive via its own usb ports to feed that to your phone.
I know the app "GoldenEar" supports that stuff.

Neutron also supports DLNA streaming

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #1,498 of 1,973
Hi currently using an iPhone 6 plus. I'm planning to get a DAP, but Most of my songs are in MP3 format (4-6mb in size)

Is it still worthwhile to get a standalone DAP? Am I going to hear the difference?

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #1,499 of 1,973
Hi currently using an iPhone 6 plus. I'm planning to get a DAP, but Most of my songs are in MP3 format (4-6mb in size)

Is it still worthwhile to get a standalone DAP? Am I going to hear the difference?

I don't think you will exploit the potential benefits of a higher fidelity DAP if you are using heavily compressed music files.

My advice is to rip a couple of CDs to Apple ALAC (lossless files) on iTunes and see if you can hear any difference on you iPhone. If you can then start converting your music to lossless and you have a free upgrade in exchange for the time to re-rip everything (I did this recently with about 3000 songs and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be).

Before moving on from your iPhone I would try a demo of an external DAC/Amp (I use an Oppo HA-2 - well reviewed on here) with Apple devices and I'm enjoying the improvement over the iPod / iPhone alone, but before buying I tried it out at a dealers using my own lossless music join my own device.

In the end your own ears will tell you what gives you the best return for the expense. In my opinion (yours may vary) the order of improvements should be: 1st - music production  & less compression, 2nd - headphone preference, 3rd - source / transport device, 4th DAC (depending on source / transport device) & amp (depending on headphone requirements).  I don't know anything about IEMs so won't comment on these.

Hope that helps?

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #1,500 of 1,973

The iPhone is great source, so my advice is to put the money where it really matters - better headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back