iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Mar 21, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #1,367 of 1,973
HAHA!  It is so easier to "think" something sounds better.  Its is a whole other thing to hear it.

I agree! I'm so glad I got to listen to both the K10 and the Legend R. From both of those experiences I am happy to say I am a Legend R owner. True bliss.

Mar 24, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #1,368 of 1,973
  I would totally agree.  All of the testing I do is blind.  I had my son switch sources without me seeing, playing the same tracks.  I then consistantly chose the Iphone as the better sound.

Blind testing doesn't mean anything when your sources aren't volume matched.  The 6 should not be sounding much better than the X5 and vice versa.  Try volume matching and then doing a blind ab test.  Volume induced differences are very misleading.

Mar 25, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #1,369 of 1,973
  Blind testing doesn't mean anything when your sources aren't volume matched.  The 6 should not be sounding much better than the X5 and vice versa.  Try volume matching and then doing a blind ab test.  Volume induced differences are very misleading.

DAPs definitely need to be volume matched. I don't know about better sounding, but I tried my best to volume match with my ears and found that my sony player sounds quite a bit leaner than my iPhone 4S. Definitely a pretty noticeable difference even without a db reader. 

I guess we can say DAPs have different sound characteristics but "better" sounding may be a different argument and perhaps something harder to measure without a db reader. 

Mar 29, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #1,370 of 1,973
I have only been into portable audio for a few months, but a 30 year audiophile.  I recently had a pair of Noble K10s made, and love them.  I was using a Fiio X5 with Fiio E12a amp, lossless files.  I then picked up a 128gb Iphone 6.  The difference is stunning.  The 6 is far more detailed, yet much smoother- which normally isn't possible in my experience.  I also added the Kaisertone app ($10), and now have a 31 band eq with .1db resolution and unlimited user presets.
I have not yet compared the 6 to other DAPS, but considering the convenience of having it as my source, and all the utility of a phone, I could not be happier.

Totally great you love your iPhone 6!

I know I love mine too :)

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #1,371 of 1,973
Any of you find any difference in SQ between 6 and 6+?

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #1,372 of 1,973
To provide balance, I myself picked up an iPhone 6+ yesterday, and from a portability and usability point of view, the 6+ is head and shoulders above the X5 and Hugo that I've been lugging around, and - for an ultraportable setup, I think that the 6+ drives my Shures just fine...

Would the 6+ replace my bigger setup? - No, it misses out on analogous warmth, lushness, and general SQ, but - does it come close, worryingly so for a consumer grade device.

Mar 29, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #1,373 of 1,973
I've got a lot of Apples in my job, and from all of them i like 5c more. 6 and 6+ sounds -= identical, while 5c is not so detailed (less 10-8% versus 6/6+) but more musical. And yes, 6 has better soundstage, separation, and bass response, so maybe such sound kind of signature like from Sennheiser will make a perfect synergy, but neutral IEMs sounds little bright and without emotions. This is not bad, but Apple could more. I'm waiting for something like iPod Classic sound but with perfect holografical feeling, black background, wider and deeper soundstage. Little tunning will make iPod/iPhone sound to the next level. Hope very soon...:)

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #1,374 of 1,973
In my experience, with the Alclair RSM Quads and Grado PS500e, my 6 plus is excellent, but my Apex Glacier is 5% better. Separation, imiging, soundstage are improved. It's not massive, very happy with the iPhone as the only source, but if listening critically I want the added resolution.

IME, nothing beats the iPhone in terms of resolution. It delivers more details than any I've heard. Maybe the shorter signal path helped a lot. It's weakness, if anything, is soundstaging, IMHO.

Mar 31, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #1,375 of 1,973
In my experience, with the Alclair RSM Quads and Grado PS500e, my 6 plus is excellent, but my Apex Glacier is 5% better. Separation, imiging, soundstage are improved. It's not massive, very happy with the iPhone as the only source, but if listening critically I want the added resolution.

IME, nothing beats the iPhone in terms of resolution. It delivers more details than any I've heard. Maybe the shorter signal path helped a lot. It's weakness, if anything, is soundstaging, IMHO.

+1

Fear the man wearing velcro strapped sandals, for he has nothing left to lose.

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #1,376 of 1,973
What you guys think is the best portable amp to amplify the iPhone 6? Not looking for a change in sound, just amplification so I can use the LCD-2.2 and HE-400 on low volume recordings. I have the E12 and E11, but to my ears they change the sound.

Any better recommendations? Will be appreciated greatly.

Apr 1, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #1,377 of 1,973
What you guys think is the best portable amp to amplify the iPhone 6? Not looking for a change in sound, just amplification so I can use the LCD-2.2 and HE-400 on low volume recordings. I have the E12 and E11, but to my ears they change the sound.

Any better recommendations? Will be appreciated greatly.

JDSLabs C5
Cayin C5

Apr 3, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #1,378 of 1,973
Something that is bugging me is inconsistent sync speed...

In a former apple life I subscribed to iTunes match, and on the desktop library nothing from that is shown, but when syncing the iPhone music section shows 5000 or so songs with the dreaded grey circles...

iTunes match is switched off on both the desktop and phone, and the match songs do not show in the library, but - I wish I could get them off of the sync screen - does anyone have any idea on how to remove??

This is on a Windows device if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #1,379 of 1,973
Great thread. Saves me $200! My second emmeline tomahawk is breaking down and looking for something to replace it to pair with my iPhone 6 plus, and was considering the Fiio e12a, now I won't bother for now!

Now to see if any threads discuss the iPad air 1, though I won't buy an amp for that. I do have an Emmeline Black Bird that I don't mind tossing in my bag when I travel though a bit over kill for my IEMs.

Edit: at the airport killing time on flight delay,did some A/B testing with the plus and black bird and its apparent immediately that straight from iPhone is better, Nice!

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #1,380 of 1,973
Something that is bugging me is inconsistent sync speed...

In a former apple life I subscribed to iTunes match, and on the desktop library nothing from that is shown, but when syncing the iPhone music section shows 5000 or so songs with the dreaded grey circles...

iTunes match is switched off on both the desktop and phone, and the match songs do not show in the library, but - I wish I could get them off of the sync screen - does anyone have any idea on how to remove??

This is on a Windows device if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

I had something similar with pictures on my wife's 5S. I went to the sync screen, selected "Download from specific folder" option, and now it saves and loads pics only from that one folder. Before, it tried to load ALL our pics from the computer. So look for the music folder, and try that sequence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back