iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Apr 4, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #1,382 of 1,973
Another great DAC/AMP for the Iphone also worth looking into is the OPPO HA-2
atsmile.gif

Apr 4, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #1,383 of 1,973
Great thread. Saves me $200! My second emmeline tomahawk is breaking down and looking for something to replace it to pair with my iPhone 6 plus, and was considering the Fiio e12a, now I won't bother for now!

Now to see if any threads discuss the iPad air 1, though I won't buy an amp for that. I do have an Emmeline Black Bird that I don't mind tossing in my bag when I travel though a bit over kill for my IEMs.

Edit: at the airport killing time on flight delay,did some A/B testing with the plus and black bird and its apparent immediately that straight from iPhone is better, Nice!

For IEM, I highly recommend the iFi nano iDSD for the iPhone 6/6+ to improve the SQ substantially. Great as it is, the iPhone even improves with the iFi nano iDSD.

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #1,385 of 1,973
  Does iPhone 6 benefits from AMPing? Or the difference is not worth the money, effort and additional bulk? Also, any recommendations for IEMs, which go well with iPhone 6?

The iPhone does benefit from using a DAC/Amp, but how much more of a difference that is perceived is determined by the DAC/Amp used, accompanying cable, SE or balanced setup (some SE sounds better than balanced - depends), etc.  I do not use a DAC/Amp, but there are others that do. I like the smallest footprint possible, and most all IEMs are very easy to drive with the iPhone 6, especially because it has a higher power output than the iPhone 5.  As for recommendations for IEMs, there are so many out there, that what would help would be to first find out your sound signature preference (neutral, bass tilt, sparkling highs, etcetera), then budget, and then whether you would want a universal type (over ear, straight down regarding cable connection to C/IEM housing) or a CIEM.  Lots of options!  PM me if you need any more assistance.

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #1,386 of 1,973

The iPhone does benefit from using a DAC/Amp, but how much more of a difference that is perceived is determined by the DAC/Amp used, accompanying cable, SE or balanced setup (some SE sounds better than balanced - depends), etc.  I do not use a DAC/Amp, but there are others that do. I like the smallest footprint possible, and most all IEMs are very easy to drive with the iPhone 6, especially because it has a higher power output than the iPhone 5.  As for recommendations for IEMs, there are so many out there, that what would help would be to first find out your sound signature preference (neutral, bass tilt, sparkling highs, etcetera), then budget, and then whether you would want a universal type (over ear, straight down regarding cable connection to C/IEM housing) or a CIEM.  Lots of options!  PM me if you need any more assistance.

Thank you so much for such informative post. I'm thinking of getting myself an iPhone, but at the same time I was wondering if it can truly replace high quality DAP? By high quality, I mean a DAP which costs up to 300 USD. I like small footprint of the iPhone 6 and the idea that it can be a multi-purpose device is very appealing.

As for IEMs, I'm looking for something with emphasis on bass, good fit and build quality. I like listening to house music and its variations, but at the same time I do love nice lounge music for relaxing times as well, especially female vocals. Occasional progressive rock (Pink Floyd) is on the cards as well. In short, I listen to pretty much everything except metal and hip hop. The budget is up to 250 USD, but the cheaper the better. On the other hand, I don't want to save on good fit and build quality. I believe 250 USD only could get me universals, thus that's where I'm looking at. I'm planning to wear IEMs while commuting, therefore sound isolation is important, but not too extreme as I need to hear an environment around me. It's too easy to get involved into the music too much and put yourself in danger. :) Occasionally I'll take IEMs to the gym or while doing sports, thus I need them to stay put while I'm moving around and be able to take some beating. Finally, regarding wearing them over the ear or straight down, I don't really have a preference, but maybe you can make a comment on that given my preferable usage of IEMs.

Thanks again! 

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #1,387 of 1,973
I think it does. Nothing beats the iPhone 6 in terms of portability+SQ+functionality. You'll carry around just one device for phone, music, calendar/appointments, email, internet, etc. It's SQ is excellent. You could improve on it's sound later when budget allows. There are many portable DAC and/or amp options out there.

My favorite is the iFi nano iDSD (around $200), but it will take you a long time to get bored with the iPhone 6's SQ. When I exercise I don't really feel the need for my iFi nano iDSD, only for critical listening at home. Just get a high resolution app player such as Onkyo HD Player app and spend your budget on quality recordings to get more enjoyment. My honest 2 cents.

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #1,388 of 1,973
I think it does. Nothing beats the iPhone 6 in terms of portability+SQ+functionality. You'll carry around just one device for phone, music, calendar/appointments, email, internet, etc. It's SQ is excellent. You could improve on it's sound later when budget allows. There are many portable DAC and/or amp options out there.
Hmm...

Depends on what you want... For a middle of the road, very agreeable SQ, agree completely, but the HTC M9 is a very serious contender for that crown.

And, yes, have both, side by side...

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #1,389 of 1,973

Thank you so much for such informative post. I'm thinking of getting myself an iPhone, but at the same time I was wondering if it can truly replace high quality DAP? By high quality, I mean a DAP which costs up to 300 USD. I like small footprint of the iPhone 6 and the idea that it can be a multi-purpose device is very appealing.

As for IEMs, I'm looking for something with emphasis on bass, good fit and build quality. I like listening to house music and its variations, but at the same time I do love nice lounge music for relaxing times as well, especially female vocals. Occasional progressive rock (Pink Floyd) is on the cards as well. In short, I listen to pretty much everything except metal and hip hop. The budget is up to 250 USD, but the cheaper the better. On the other hand, I don't want to save on good fit and build quality. I believe 250 USD only could get me universals, thus that's where I'm looking at. I'm planning to wear IEMs while commuting, therefore sound isolation is important, but not too extreme as I need to hear an environment around me. It's too easy to get involved into the music too much and put yourself in danger. :) Occasionally I'll take IEMs to the gym or while doing sports, thus I need them to stay put while I'm moving around and be able to take some beating. Finally, regarding wearing them over the ear or straight down, I don't really have a preference, but maybe you can make a comment on that given my preferable usage of IEMs.

Thanks again! 

No worries, Const4nt1n3!  

Now, to tackle your questions:

1.  The iPhone 6 can truly replace a high quality DAP. As diamondears mentioned, the apps are one reason the iPhone truly shines, and quite possibly above and beyond any DAP on the market (regardless of the price).  Using high quality music playback applications such as Onkyo HF Player or Neutron Music Player will give you the highest fidelity the iPhone can offer.  You can check my profile for comparisons that I made with my favorite music playback application (Neutron).

2.  There may be someone who can assist you with regards to recommending IEMs under $250 USD.  You can check out ljokerl's immense IEM thread, here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-335-iems-compared-sennheiser-momentum-in-ear-added-03-26-15-p-1050 for some inspiration.  My recommendation for an IEM that sounds great and ticks all of your boxes except for price would be the Atomic Floyd SuperDarts - Titanium ($399).  If you want to go really cheap and don't mind the EarPod-esque sound quality, the V-Moda Bass Freq were nice back in the day (Amazon has those and the metal version for sale currently).

3.  My favorite workout IEM utilizes the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves.  Check my signature or profile for the review.  Not cheap, but is truly epic with regards to turning a universal to a custom silicone IEM that is perfect for blocking out the sweat from your ear canals.

4.  Most all IEMs in the $250 price range will be straight down with regards to cabling (except for certain sport-type models), but I prefer over the ear IEMs when working out.  People prefer both versions though.

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #1,390 of 1,973
Using high quality music playback applications such as Onkyo HK Player or Neutron Music Player will give you the highest fidelity the iPhone can offer.  You can check my profile for comparisons that I made with my favorite music playback application (Neutron).
Oooh,

Learned something new today (that Neutron is on iOS)...

My iTunes library is screwed up, doesn't sync properly - if Neutron works the same as on Android, will be happy (I have the Onkyo HD app, but don't get along with syncing via the app tab, cannot get folders in there, only files)...

Apr 5, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #1,391 of 1,973
No worries, Const4nt1n3!  

Now, to tackle your questions:

1.  The iPhone 6 can truly replace a high quality DAP. As diamondears mentioned, the apps are one reason the iPhone truly shines, and quite possibly above and beyond any DAP on the market (regardless of the price).  Using high quality music playback applications such as Onkyo HK Player or Neutron Music Player will give you the highest fidelity the iPhone can offer.  You can check my profile for comparisons that I made with my favorite music playback application (Neutron).

2.  There may be someone who can assist you with regards to recommending IEMs under $250 USD.  You can check out ljokerl's immense IEM thread, here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-335-iems-compared-sennheiser-momentum-in-ear-added-03-26-15-p-1050 for some inspiration.  My recommendation for an IEM that sounds great and ticks all of your boxes except for price would be the Atomic Floyd SuperDarts - Titanium ($399).  If you want to go really cheap and don't mind the EarPod-esque sound quality, the V-Moda Bass Freq were nice back in the day (Amazon has those and the metal version for sale currently).

3.  My favorite workout IEM utilizes the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves.  Check my signature or profile for the review.  Not cheap, but is truly epic with regards to turning a universal to a custom silicone IEM that is perfect for blocking out the sweat from your ear canals.

4.  Most all IEMs in the $250 price range will be straight down with regards to cabling (except for certain sport-type models), but I prefer over the ear IEMs when working out.  People prefer both versions though.

MD, you have any new impressions on the Neutron vs Onkyo HD Player re SQ?

Apr 5, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #1,392 of 1,973
Oooh,

Learned something new today (that Neutron is on iOS)...

My iTunes library is screwed up, doesn't sync properly - if Neutron works the same as on Android, will be happy (I have the Onkyo HD app, but don't get along with syncing via the app tab, cannot get folders in there, only files)...

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, I love Neutron!  I did read your question before, but I would be shooting fish in a barrel with my suggestions - I just forgo the matching and syncing options Apple offers and always set it to manually manage music, so I can add and take out folders/albums and songs as I so choose.  Maybe try at an Apple store and see what the geniuses say?  Hope you get it taken care of!

MD, you have any new impressions on the Neutron vs Onkyo HD Player re SQ?

I would need to try out the new options of Onkyo because I read it has DSD support on my update notification, but the only issue is that I do not own enough DSD files to really make it worthwhile for me.  Regarding SQ between Neutron and Onkyo for files such as 320kb mp3s, I would have to listen to the newest versions of both players with zero EQ set.  Onkyo has been the only player with regards to SQ that I would recommend if the user interface of Neutron may be difficult for some users to use (I do have UI and audio settings I use that I can PM to anyone).  I'll let you know if anything changes, but so far, both are exemplary players with regards to SQ.

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #1,394 of 1,973
For MP3 playback, any view on if Onkyo on Netron offers sound quality benefit over the native iOS music app?

I use the Onkyo app in preference over the native app. To my ears, with MP3 the sound quality is noticeably better, but not by a large margin.

Apr 5, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #1,395 of 1,973

+1, the iPhone has a great sound although it can sound a bit brash at times. Great detail though. I personally think that the Beyerdynamic A200p offers slightly better overall SQ and tonal balance to the iPhone without breaking the bank. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back