iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Feb 16, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #1,306 of 1,973
^I use the IFi iDSD Nano with my 6+, though I upgrad d the amp, significantly, by adding an Apex Glacier.

This, iPhone > CCK>iFi>Cardas RCA TO 1/8">Glacier > PS500e/Dunu Titans/Alclair RSM.

Feb 16, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #1,307 of 1,973
^I use the IFi iDSD Nano with my 6+, though I upgrad d the amp, significantly, by adding an Apex Glacier.

This, iPhone > CCK>iFi>Cardas RCA TO 1/8">Glacier > PS500e/Dunu Titans/Alclair RSM.

I think it's really great how the iPhone 6/+ is so versatile with so many devices such as different amplifiers etc but also just how great it sounds with headphones that don't actually even need an amplifier as I can use my momentum headphones just with my iPhone 6+ and it just sounds so great :)

Feb 16, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #1,308 of 1,973
  You could use a mobile DAC that's compatible with iOS, like the Sony PHA-1/2/3 or the ifi iDSD.

Thanks for the recommendations Uberclocked. I'm sure there are other self powered products that are closer to the $60 shipped that a UD110 costs. Fiio perhaps.

It just galls me that the UD110 worked effortlessly on earlier iOS versions, with none of the "too much power" pop ups. Part of its appeal in the first place, price aside, was that it was so light as to not flag as an excessive power draw on both iOS and Android.

What puzzles me is why it should still work, now and again, with iOS at all anymore.

Feb 16, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #1,309 of 1,973
I think it's really great how the iPhone 6/+ is so versatile with so many devices such as different amplifiers etc but also just how great it sounds with headphones that don't actually even need an amplifier as I can use my momentum headphones just with my iPhone 6+ and it just sounds so great :)

True, for out and about all the IEM's are great straight from the 6+, the Grado's are a little dorkey looking through, so they stay home:wink:.

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #1,310 of 1,973

Thanks for the recommendations Uberclocked. I'm sure there are other self powered products that are closer to the $60 shipped that a UD110 costs. Fiio perhaps.

It just galls me that the UD110 worked effortlessly on earlier iOS versions, with none of the "too much power" pop ups. Part of its appeal in the first place, price aside, was that it was so light as to not flag as an excessive power draw on both iOS and Android.

What puzzles me is why it should still work, now and again, with iOS at all anymore.

You could try buying an E07K off the FS forums used?
http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-andes-e07k-portable-usb-dac-and-headphone-amplifier-96khz-24-bit/reviews/10914

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #1,311 of 1,973
And yet, I am listening to the iOS music app now with the UD110, which earlier today connected on the first attempt within Djay as noted in my earlier post, and then required approx 5 attempts to reconnect in Djay, although the 2nd time it connected it failed to playback through the Djay app, even though it was identified as connected by the app. So I exit Djay, checked in sound portion of the settings app to see if any audio there, ringer and alerts played back through UD110, opened Music app, hit play, track plays through UD110.
Funny but I am suspecting that it's got something to do with the manner in which the Lightning CCK is attached in the first instance, whereby a slight tug of the CCK on my part, immediately after insertion, encouraged it to be seen by Djay, even though it wouldn't produce any audio until after opening Settings:Sound and thereafter the Music app. Bafflingly random outbursts of fitful functionality. Or a bit of a pain in the hole.

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #1,313 of 1,973
I love my 6+. The audio quality to me sounds better than my 5s. They can drive my 250 and 600 ohm headphones just fine, and all my other headphones to dangerously loud.

The iPhone 6 and 6 plus are definitely formidable DAPs!  I agree, they drive a lot of headphones pretty darn well.  I am happy that my 6's power output is more than my 5.  Hopefully the next iPhone will be even better in every regard. 
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #1,314 of 1,973
The iPhone 6 and 6 plus are definitely formidable DAPs!  I agree, they drive a lot of headphones pretty darn well.  I am happy that my 6's power output is more than my 5.  Hopefully the next iPhone will be even better in every regard.  :ksc75smile:

Yeah me too, tho they have been improving each gen. 4s was good but lacked 600ohm oomf, 5s got a little better, and 6+ surpassed the amping power of my A2 which barely could drive my k701. I'm getting more of a kick from the k701 on the 6+

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #1,315 of 1,973
Yeah me too, tho they have been improving each gen. 4s was good but lacked 600ohm oomf, 5s got a little better, and 6+ surpassed the amping power of my A2 which barely could drive my k701. I'm getting more of a kick from the k701 on the 6+

True test, I'm even able to drive the HE-6 to listening levels (in a quiet setting).  Do they get crazy loud?  Not at all, but for the 6 to drive those hard-do-drive headphones, is pretty awesome in itself.  What music playback/streaming applications are you utilizing?

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #1,316 of 1,973
Wonder why the iPhone 6 can drive harder to drive HPs despite same Vrms. They improved the current handling? My iPhone 6 can drive my LCD-2.2 quite loud. In fact max volume on iPhone 6 is deafening, I listen normally to 2 clicks short of max. To my NAD Viso HP50, it's perfect. Detail and power combined. My desktop gears are getting more and more uncomfortable as days go by. There might be a day where there's no more reason for a desktop, even at home.

I wish Apple could produce a special iPhone specifically designed for audiophiles. I think that would be a hit. 2 or even 3 Vrms with 256G storage? I'm salivating...

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #1,317 of 1,973
Wonder why the iPhone 6 can drive harder to drive HPs despite same Vrms. They improved the current handling? My iPhone 6 can drive my LCD-2.2 quite loud. In fact max volume on iPhone 6 is deafening, I listen normally to 2 clicks short of max. To my NAD Viso HP50, it's perfect. Detail and power combined. My desktop gears are getting more and more uncomfortable as days go by. There might be a day where there's no more reason for a desktop, even at home.

I wish Apple could produce a special iPhone specifically designed for audiophiles. I think that would be a hit. 2 or even 3 Vrms with 256G storage? I'm salivating...

In another thread I posted a similar wish with regards to the iPhone specifically designed for audiophiles/music enthusiasts.  If they could somehow hone the circuitry of the Chord Hugo into the iPhone...

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #1,318 of 1,973

That's a pretty good question.

Whenever i listen to the iPhone 6 at high volumes it amazes me because of the phenomenal authority, fullness and clarity that it delivers. It's impressive!

But voltage wise it measures around 1 volt (no load) just like any previous (non European) iPhone. Hence there must be something more to the 6/6+. May be slew rate?

If they add one more volt to the equation Apple would send to bankruptcy to a lot of audio companies.

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #1,319 of 1,973
Wonder if you guys can help me. I'm looking for a good amp or amp/dac combo solution for my k7xx. I'll primarily drive it via the iPhone but also would like the option of running it through my PC. Portability isn't a huge deal. At the moment I've narrowed down to the Monoprice Desktop Headphone Amplifier and the Fiio E17k chiefly because they can drive both. Anyone can offer inputs or alternatives on this matter? Preferably not spending more than 150USD.

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #1,320 of 1,973
My contract is coming to an end and I'm in the market for a new phone.
I have been contemplating to get the 6 plus since its launch, even tested it numerous times.
From my previous posts it's clear that I'm happy with the sound and how it drives my Westone IEMs.
Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't get the 6 plus and wait for Apple's next iteration i.e. 6S plus to be launched in less than half a year? Anyone experiencing too much lag with the 128 GB models?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back