iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Feb 15, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #1,276 of 1,973
I managed to get rid of the awful EU volume cap on my EU iPhone 6 Plus. I can tell you that the SQ is now fantastic. The music has more punch and the soundstage is better as well has it being a lot louder. Jailbreaking is the way to go for audiophiles who have the EU iPhone 5, 5S and iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.

Nice job! Can recall the joy when i got to uncap my European 5s back in 2014. Bass fell into place.

Fear the man wearing velcro strapped sandals, for he has nothing left to lose.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #1,279 of 1,973
How did you get rid of the cap?

The iPhone has to be jailbroken. Unfortunately if you have updated to iOS 8.1.3 then you are out of luck as there is no jailbreak at the moment for that. However, if you haven't updated to 8.1.3 then you can google for the taig jailbreak for ios 8. Once you have the phone jailbroken you can install iFile on Cydia and then go to system/library/frameworks/MediaToolBox.framework and find the EUVolumeLimits.plist and change the current volume setting to 1. Do the same on the RegionalVolumeLimits.plist. Now go to var/mobile/library/preferences and find com.apple.celestial.plist and go to volumelimits then headphones then change to 1. Now reboot the iPhone.

I don't want to argue about security issues when jailbroken as non jailbroken iOS can have security issues too.

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #1,281 of 1,973
Hey all, I have a "shatter proof" screen protector for a iPhone 6, that i was incorrectly shipped. I have a 6+, if someone wants one for a 6, PM me. I am offering it free, just pay postage.

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #1,282 of 1,973
Hey all, I have a "shatter proof" screen protector for a iPhone 6, that i was incorrectly shipped. I have a 6+, if someone wants one for a 6, PM me. I am offering it free, just pay postage.

PM sent. Hopefully it's not too late! My fiancé needs a new screen protector, as her Zagg glass shield breaks if you so much as look at it the wrong way. Thanks!

Feb 15, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #1,284 of 1,973
Prior to switching to american iPhones i had an European 5s jailbroken and uncapped for 3 months and did not have any issue. I just installed iFile and iClean and did nothing else asiden from uncapping the amp. iClean was to get rid from temp files from time to time.

Fear the man wearing velcro strapped sandals, for he has nothing left to lose.

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #1,285 of 1,973
There's a few decent portable amps you can buy for less than $300 that are powerful enough to handle an hd800

Oh, there's more than a few.

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #1,286 of 1,973

Jailbreak obviously, it's the only way. Forget about iOS stability and security when you apply it though.

My stock US iPhone 6 is by far the most unstable phone I ever had. Pretty much every day I have to restart the messaging app. Once every week or so have to reboot to fix something that stopped working. iPhone stability has been a big joke for me so far.

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #1,287 of 1,973
Well. Today was interesting.
I had a friend round to listen to my O2 amp. He bought his iPhone 6 with him so I was able to give it a listen.
I really liked it.
Against my 5S it seemed to be a step back toward the less digital sound of the 4S.
With added weight and clarity.
The differences between the 6and the 5S were subtle but significant. IMO.
My friend is blind. So a literal blind test!
I switched between the two phones on HO and he consistently preferred the 6. Interestingly he found little difference in the bass but more in midrange and treble.
He also thought the soundstage was wider.
I didn't hear those differences but definitely preferred the bass of the 6.
All listening was done with the Sennheiser HD 600's.
Neither of us detected any difference in volume between the two phones.
Both running at maximum to drive the 600's.
Incidentally. The O2 simply added volume and did not change the SQ.
As I expected.
I tried the 6 with my IE8's and was surprised to find that the 6 suited them very well. Adding sub bass without exacerbating the midbass hump.
Volume from the HO was more than sufficient.
Basically, I cannot wait for the 6S :)

That's such a great comparison review and I think the 6s will be totally interesting to see how Apple further improve the current 6 :)

Won't be doing that then! :)

I won't either! (jail break my iPhone)

The thought of it is pretty scary IMO.

Feb 15, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #1,288 of 1,973
My stock US iPhone 6 is by far the most unstable phone I ever had. Pretty much every day I have to restart the messaging app. Once every week or so have to reboot to fix something that stopped working. iPhone stability has been a big joke for me so far.

Sounds like you need to throw that back at your supplier if possible. If not maybe a hard reset?

Feb 15, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #1,289 of 1,973
I think the 6s will be totally interesting to see how Apple further improve the current 6 :)

I may actually jump ship on Apple.
Google are supposed to be bringing out a modular phone in conjunction with Phoneblocks.
Project Aria.
Sennheiser are doing the audio module.
I will probably wuss out but I would like to support anyone who is trying to get off this upgrade merry go round.
The fact that you cannot access the battery and carry spares and the lack of SD slot is plain stupid.
Apple charge a fortune for extra memory.
A 64 gig SD card is available for a few pounds.
In the end SQ will be a major decider.
Looks like Apple will be hard to beat (no pun intended!) if they keep on doing what they have been doing.

Feb 15, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #1,290 of 1,973
I may actually jump ship on Apple.
Google are supposed to be bringing out a modular phone in conjunction with Phoneblocks.
Project Aria.
Sennheiser are doing the audio module.
I will probably wuss out but I would like to support anyone who is trying to get off this upgrade merry go round.
The fact that you cannot access the battery and carry spares and the lack of SD slot is plain stupid.
Apple charge a fortune for extra memory.
A 64 gig SD card is available for a few pounds.
In the end SQ will be a major decider.
Looks like Apple will be hard to beat (no pun intended!) if they keep on doing what they have been doing.

:O
Gooby pls gib nau.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back