iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Feb 15, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #1,291 of 1,973
Sounds like you need to throw that back at your supplier if possible. If not maybe a hard reset?

Those are just a couple of examples. I can think of a dozen more. I tried to talk to Apple about bluetooth that did not work properly. Finally, after about two hours with a supervisor on chat, he admitted that Apple doesn't support modern multi-channel bluetooth. And he said the Apple developers really didn't take suggestions, in this case for a basic feature Android has had for years. Which a friend of mine who is a senior developer there confirmed. The bottom line is that iOS is not nearly as evolved as Apple likes to think it is. It's nice and easy for grandma, but you don't have to look to carefully to find holes.

Feb 15, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #1,292 of 1,973
I may actually jump ship on Apple.
Google are supposed to be bringing out a modular phone in conjunction with Phoneblocks.
Project Aria.
Sennheiser are doing the audio module.
I will probably wuss out but I would like to support anyone who is trying to get off this upgrade merry go round.
The fact that you cannot access the battery and carry spares and the lack of SD slot is plain stupid.
Apple charge a fortune for extra memory.
A 64 gig SD card is available for a few pounds.
In the end SQ will be a major decider.
Looks like Apple will be hard to beat (no pun intended!) if they keep on doing what they have been doing.

That sounds really interesting, especially Sennheiser's involvement, but I totally agree that Apple should start putting SD slots on iPhones.

:O
Gooby pls gib nau.

You are totally silly! :)

Feb 16, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #1,293 of 1,973

My stock US iPhone 6 is by far the most unstable phone I ever had. Pretty much every day I have to restart the messaging app. Once every week or so have to reboot to fix something that stopped working. iPhone stability has been a big joke for me so far.

I think 1 GB ram is not enough for iOS 8 and up. iPad Air 2 works fine (2 gb ram).

Feb 16, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #1,294 of 1,973

I think 1 GB ram is not enough for iOS 8 and up. iPad Air 2 works fine (2 gb ram).

I agree, unfortunately.  I say this because there isn't any way to add any more RAM ourselves.  If I have more than around 10 tabs (I multitask) open in Dolphin Browser, the app can't stop from crashing, it seems.  Keeping the tabs at around 5-7 keeps the iPhone 6 content, which is satisfactory, but not excellent.  At least the iPhone 7 (or whatever they call it) will more than likely have at least 2GB of RAM installed, and maybe the 6S will as well to differentiate itself from the 6.

Feb 16, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #1,295 of 1,973
Since iOS 7 release i have find stability and smoothness a bit worse than on Forstall era iOSs. The OS is still quite reliable and beautiful but i'd wish that they rethink the iOS release schedule as it is pretty obvious to me that the put them out before they are actually finished. May be a 1.5 year refresh cycle would be more realistic.

And hope that someday they collapse the Artist view and fix the stuttering when scrolling through the beautiful landscape view of  Music app.

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #1,296 of 1,973
So I looked back I don't think anyone has posted on this.

I usually use an iPhone 6+, geek out 720, and sennheiser hd700's as my portable setup.

Usually to use this setup I need a usb hub, battery, and camera cable and splitter cable. Now, it seems like things have changed and the hub is no longer needed. The annoying "this device needs too much power" when there was separate power to the Dac is gone.

Anyone else having luck? Sq seems to have improved since I got rid of that cheap hub :)

Feb 16, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #1,297 of 1,973

I usually use an iPhone 6+, geek out 720, and sennheiser hd700's as my portable setup.

Usually to use this setup I need a usb hub, battery, and camera cable and splitter cable. Now, it seems like things have changed and the hub is no longer needed. The annoying "this device needs too much power" when there was separate power to the Dac is gone.

Anyone else having luck? Sq seems to have improved since I got rid of that cheap hub
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #1,298 of 1,973
Gooby pls gib nau.

It could go either way.
Sennheiser seem to have focused on wireless capability.
Doesn't bode well for SQ.
They have been"listening to the Phoneblocks community."
Wasn't the camel a horse designed by committee?! :wink:

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #1,300 of 1,973
It could go either way.
Sennheiser seem to have focused on wireless capability.
Doesn't bode well for SQ.
They have been"listening to the Phoneblocks community."
Wasn't the camel a horse designed by committee?!
wink.gif

Ugh.
It's not Sennheiser's fault.  It's the community's.  Read this:
 In our challenge on audio product design you expressed a preference towards wireless in-ears. Previously, Sennheiser’s had wireless in-ears in their portfolio and now they are seeing an opportunity to bring such a product back! 

https://community.phonebloks.com/challenge/view/12/_How-to-combine-the-sound-blok-to-wireless-in-ears

I vote we get all of Head-fi to either spam Sennheiser or the Phonblocks team with complaints, preferably both.  And request that the audio module be increased to a 2x2 block and feature the ESS9018K2M along with line out capability.  We should also request that there should be a replaceable 1x1 amp module so we can customize that to our power requirements.

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #1,302 of 1,973
Uberlocked, have you heard the iPhone 6 or 6+ yet?
smily_headphones1.gif

I have not due to the lack of interest from my peers in lending me their iPhones for testing its audio capabilities (and the fact that none of them care too much for sq, and the few that do don't own iPhones).  It wouldn't have been a good idea in the first place, as the only way I could really get detailed impressions was if I brought an iPhone home with me and tested it against my other sources while volume matched.  That probably wasn't going to happen and the most likely scenario if they let me borrow their iPhones would be to listen to them for less than an hour with their music in a noisy environment.  
frown.gif

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #1,303 of 1,973

Anyone else having luck? Sq seems to have improved since I got rid of that cheap hub
smily_headphones1.gif

I can sporadically get my Stoner Acoustics UD110 to work without the "this device needs too much power" pop up, but only about 1 in 20 attempts, and generally only by first opening Djay app, with headphones plugged into the iPhone HP out, and only then connecting the DAC via CCK lightning dongle. Am using an iPhone 6 Plus.
The thing is, and judging by comments on the Algoriddim (Djay developers) forums, Apple can't make up their minds as to whether to allow iOS to power external DACs or not. Almost every second OS update either breaks or resolves operability of external USB DACs.

Poor form on Apples' part that they can't figure out whether to leave this in or pull it entirely. It hampers devs and thus customers satisfaction with the products.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else knows of an easy way to cheat the OS into powering an external DAC ?

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #1,304 of 1,973
This belongs in a Sennheiser thread. Can we please get back on the track?

You just made me realize that we don't have a Sennheiser Phonblocks thread yet.
But yeah, sure.

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #1,305 of 1,973

I can sporadically get my Stoner Acoustics UD110 to work without the "this device needs too much power" pop up, but only about 1 in 20 attempts, and generally only by first opening Djay app, with headphones plugged into the iPhone HP out, and only then connecting the DAC via CCK lightning dongle. Am using an iPhone 6 Plus.
The thing is, and judging by comments on the Algoriddim (Djay developers) forums, Apple can't make up their minds as to whether to allow iOS to power external DACs or not. Almost every second OS update either breaks or resolves operability of external USB DACs.

Poor form on Apples' part that they can't figure out whether to leave this in or pull it entirely. It hampers devs and thus customers satisfaction with the products.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else knows of an easy way to cheat the OS into powering an external DAC ?

You could use a mobile DAC that's compatible with iOS, like the Sony PHA-1/2/3 or the ifi iDSD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back