iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Dec 3, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #661 of 1,973

I tried my colleagues Hong Kong version Exynos  Note 4 today and confirmed it was the Wolfson DAC. To be honest I was underwhelmed about the sound quality... The details were there while listening to my flac files using both stock and third party apps but there was a lack of dynamics which seems to confirm Elfary's conclusion that the Note is underpowered. This is using my 45 Ohm Westone UM-Pro50...

I still prefer my wife's iPhone 5s and yes, as of now, I'm still contemplating to get the iphone 6 plus 64 or 128 GB.
I currently use the LG Pro G (1st gen) which has better sound than the G3... The G3 has a flaw where high frequency noise of the motherbord and drive leak through the left channel (tested thanks to another colleague's G3...which he swapped for an iPhone 6 plus as well...) 

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #662 of 1,973
If you have a chance, try out the Z3 with anything under 16 Ohms.  You will love it.  I have Z3 with IM70, and I loved it.  My wife had bought the new Ipad Air 2.  I used the same FLAC files, but converted into Apple Lossless....and I found myself picking up the Z3 more often with the same IM70.

I broke my Z3 days ago...and now I am craving for it's musics.....

I also agreed despite the fact about the Note 4 with Wolfson newest DAC, I heard people said it "sucks" and it brought the Wolfson Chips to "Shame"  I am not much of an indepth tech guy, but I can say that I realized "Sony" probably built something in those circuitry which makes the WCD9320 works out wonderful...unless TFA9890 are doing those jobs, if that is the case, then the Nexus 6 will be SICK! as it has similar TFA9890 chips, but with 805 Snap Dragons !!! instead of 801 from Z3

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #663 of 1,973
Just switched from a Note 4 to an iPhone 6.  It even does a decent job of driving my LCD-X!

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #664 of 1,973
  Just switched from a Note 4 to an iPhone 6.  It even does a decent job of driving my LCD-X!

I'm not a fan of Note (too big) but I like the way Sammy tune his Exynos galaxy devices, the sound is more than acceptable on 95% of the occasions, just a little complaint about native alac support , the stock player is so good but I can't find myself having to convert everything to flac !

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #665 of 1,973
  If you have a chance, try out the Z3 with anything under 16 Ohms.  You will love it.  I have Z3 with IM70, and I loved it.  My wife had bought the new Ipad Air 2.  I used the same FLAC files, but converted into Apple Lossless....and I found myself picking up the Z3 more often with the same IM70.

I broke my Z3 days ago...and now I am craving for it's musics.....

I also agreed despite the fact about the Note 4 with Wolfson newest DAC, I heard people said it "sucks" and it brought the Wolfson Chips to "Shame"  I am not much of an indepth tech guy, but I can say that I realized "Sony" probably built something in those circuitry which makes the WCD9320 works out wonderful...unless TFA9890 are doing those jobs, if that is the case, then the Nexus 6 will be SICK! as it has similar TFA9890 chips, but with 805 Snap Dragons !!! instead of 801 from Z3

Just came across some reviews of the Z3, it seems to have a serious overheating issue ! Most of them mentioned that the sound is perfectly clean but quiet as usual. Knowing the output limit of Xperia devices, any sensitive IEM should be fine but I dislike the fact to be limited to low impedance phones, so even if it's the king of clarity , the Z3 is NOT for me
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #666 of 1,973

I second this, regarding the iPhone 6 driving the LCD-X decently.  Even though I do not own a LCD-X, I got to try it out with my iPhone 6 at a recent Head-Fi meet, and I couldn't help dancing around.  I am definitely happy that the iPhone 6 has more power output than the iPhone 5 I owned prior to the 6.

Dec 3, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #667 of 1,973
I can tell you why I chose the iPhone 6 plus, because it's so amazing and my friends are like, wow, that's so like a mini tablet!
smily_headphones1.gif
Phablets have been around long before the iPhone 6 Plus

I may be an apple fan girl, but Apple isn't the number 1 smartphone in the world for nothing
smily_headphones1.gif
Let's not say stuff like this.  As said in an earlier post, each phone has its pros and cons, no phone is the best.
Sales don't really mean anything either, with Beats being the #1 headphone brand and all.

Keep in mind that I am biased against Apple and dislike the company as well as their products.

Dec 3, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #668 of 1,973
  I don't think I'll ever understand why people flock to get the iphone 6/6+ when the lg g3 is superior in every way. 
>Smaller footprint with bigger and high res display
>3gb ram to just 1gb
>more powerful cpu and cpu though doesn't mean much nowadays
>removable battery
>full flash support in web browser (side load) 
>micro sd slot expandable to 128gb 
>much cheaper 
In a nutshell, there's really no reason to buy the iphone unless you're one of those people who can't live without IOS. 

- Build quality
- Touch ID
- Resale value
- Mute switch (can't believe how useful this is, coming from a former Android user)
- Accessories and ecosystem
- Continuity with OS X

It really depends on what you value in a smartphone. No need to justify your own decisions based on what others choose.

I'm far from being a lg fanboy lol. In fact, the last time I owned a lg phone was one of the flip cam shell ones with a 1.5 inch colour display from 10 years ago. Even now I'm still using my htc desire z and won't be upgrading any time soon because of the lack of a compact flagship phone with a full qwerty keyboard in today's market. Anything phone with a display exceeding 4 inches is too big for me. 
Yes my opinion is based on raw facts because hardware always comes first before anything else. Interface isn't important because anyone considering purchasing an android or iphone would have already done their research. All phone companies that base their custom software on the same android os firmware will pretty much have identical performance. To be honest, I think the hardware in all current flagship phones is an overkill and for people who constantly upgrade their phone to the next model are just wasting money. When there's a list of phone that offer the same feature and os, it's only natural to choice the one with the best specs. To me, the g3 ticks all the boxes but I'm probably still not going to get it. I just wish older phone support otg. 

Lol, I highly doubt it.

Dec 3, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #669 of 1,973
I second this, regarding the iPhone 6 driving the LCD-X decently.  Even though I do not own a LCD-X, I got to try it out with my iPhone 6 at a recent Head-Fi meet, and I couldn't help dancing around.  I am definitely happy that the iPhone 6 has more power output than the iPhone 5 I owned prior to the 6.

I went from iPhone 4s which was great, to iPhone 6 Plus which is just totally awesome and all my friends want one now too! :)

Dec 3, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #671 of 1,973
Regarding the 6+
Its headphone out is the best I've heard on a phone.  In fact, it's the first stock jack I consider listenable.  I found previous i devices to be best in class, but still lacked the focus of a good dedicated portable DAC.  The 6+ doesn't project as deep a soundstage as the Pico, Microstreamer, or DX90.  The built in amp doesn't have nearly the sense of slam that the a good portable amp does either.  But the proportions are all there.  I can't hear any details present in my dedicated portables that are missing from the 6+.  The relationship between loud and quiet sounds, the relative spaces between instruments, and the textural clarity are all as accurate as I've heard from a portable.  I don't know if they used a new DAC chip, or implemented the same old one better, but the level of performance Apple achieved is game changing.  I was going to get a DX90, but now there's really no point.  It certainly makes paying the premium on a 128 gig iPhone feel like a better deal.  I wonder if the new iPads sound this good? 

Regarding the Sony Z3.
I'm generally pleased with it's headphone jack.  It might be ok on less efficient portable headphones.  But its noise floor is too high for uber sensitive IEMs.  That's not necessarily a knock though, as I've never heard anything other than an iPhone that was quiet enough for IEMs, including several of Samsung's Woflson phones.  My wife has had her Z3 for several weeks now, and hasn't once experienced overheating.  And this is with hours a day spent gaming.  Battery life astoundingly good.  Even she can get through a day on charge, which is a first for her.  The screen is way too blue by default, but Sony lets you tweak the color balance, which is fantastic.  I think Sony's industrial design is first rate too.

Dec 3, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #673 of 1,973
  Regarding the 6+
Its headphone out is the best I've heard on a phone.  In fact, it's the first stock jack I consider listenable.  I found previous i devices to be best in class, but still lacked the focus of a good dedicated portable DAC.  The 6+ doesn't project as deep a soundstage as the Pico, Microstreamer, or DX90.  The built in amp doesn't have nearly the sense of slam that the a good portable amp does either.  But the proportions are all there.  I can't hear any details present in my dedicated portables that are missing from the 6+.  The relationship between loud and quiet sounds, the relative spaces between instruments, and the textural clarity are all as accurate as I've heard from a portable.  I don't know if they used a new DAC chip, or implemented the same old one better, but the level of performance Apple achieved is game changing.  I was going to get a DX90, but now there's really no point.  It certainly makes paying the premium on a 128 gig iPhone feel like a better deal.  I wonder if the new iPads sound this good? 

Regarding the Sony Z3.
I'm generally pleased with it's headphone jack.  It might be ok on less efficient portable headphones.  But its noise floor is too high for uber sensitive IEMs.  That's not necessarily a knock though, as I've never heard anything other than an iPhone that was quiet enough for IEMs, including several of Samsung's Woflson phones.  My wife has had her Z3 for several weeks now, and hasn't once experienced overheating.  And this is with hours a day spent gaming.  Battery life astoundingly good.  Even she can get through a day on charge, which is a first for her.  The screen is way too blue by default, but Sony lets you tweak the color balance, which is fantastic.  I think Sony's industrial design is first rate too.

I agree that in terms of detail retrieval, anything that can heard in a dedicated audiophile dap or amp can also be heard in a main stream dap.  

Dec 4, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #675 of 1,973
Thank you for your tips on the FLAC for IOS.

Finally, I got my Z3 Tablet Compact....Oh my gosh, this is it...my music, my everything.  I love it !!!! Neither Iphone 6 nor Note 4 could replace this guy music playing Job.  The details, separation, and extensions.  I realize this sound signature right away, where as Iphone 6, Ipad Air 2, Note 4, all left me seeking for something more, like some beats are missing.  The Z3 ? Everything is there, and the ATH-IM70 is just Superb and WONDERFUL !!!!

The satisfaction of a portable Phone + Tablet + Dedicated Flac Player....YUPE !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back