iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Nov 11, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #481 of 1,973
  Who has the iphone 6 could test if you have the audio glitches described here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6657115
I would understand if it is a problem with some units or a widespread one.
Thanks

No glitches with my iPhone 6, 128 GB, iOS 8.1 regarding audio glitches.  I also do not use Safari, I use Dolphin Browser as my web browser.  I'm more concerned with getting an update with Dolphin (have already emailed them) so it is just as good as it was pre-iOS 8 (they fixed a lot of the issues, only one minor one to go).

Nov 11, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #482 of 1,973
Just today, had an issue where listening to music and using the Huffington Post app, the music would stop while reading a certain article. Going to a different article, the playback was normal. It's weird. It think iOS 8 is definitely a work in progress.

Nov 11, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #484 of 1,973
No glitches whatsoever on my iPhone 6 in running 8.1 and currently jailbroken

Nice!  I was starting to feel like a person, all alone in lake bed in Jean, NV with tumbleweeds around me.

Nov 11, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #486 of 1,973
If anything things are better. After disabling some deamons my battery life and speed has greatly increased
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, never had issues with speed.  Battery life, yes.  Closing apps helps regarding battery life, and other known 'tips' as well (dimming screen, putting phone in airplane mode to charge faster, etc.) but I just use an external battery (both are shown in my profile), and that takes care of any and all battery issues so now (since I've had the external batteries) I have zero issues with the battery ever going dead on me.  Anyone who has a lightning port is happy to be around me as well because I have a total of 4 ports that can be used to charge their devices at the same time. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 11, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #487 of 1,973
I have owned quite a few excellent DAPs including Sony and Cowon and I am quite satisfied with the SQ of my iPhone 6 Plus and I don't find the sound at all muffled which is reported here. Either the ones who are saying the 6 Plus is muffled have defective units or the music files are of poor quality.

BTW I have got Neutron sounding nice on my iPhone 6 Plus though my B&W C5 IEMs.

Nov 11, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #488 of 1,973
I have owned quite a few excellent DAPs including Sony and Cowon and I am quite satisfied with the SQ of my iPhone 6 Plus and I don't find the sound at all muffled which is reported here. Either the ones who are saying the 6 Plus is muffled have defective units or the music files are of poor quality.

BTW I have got Neutron sounding nice on my iPhone 6 Plus though my B&W C5 IEMs.

Only a couple of people on this thread have stated the quality of the iPhone 6 Plus was muffled, but most really enjoy the sound quality of the iPhone 6 Plus (and the iPhone 6).  It could be due to defective units, but it's more likely they aren't using the best music app and specific settings that will eke out their music files.  Also, the headphone/IEM they are using may be a less-than-satisfactory choice regarding impedance, etc. which will in turn affect overall sound quality.

There are people that don't like Neutron or think it's inferior as well.  That is quite alright because it is great that we have choice, and can choose what apps we like and best suit our wants and needs.  

And yes, I am happy with Neutron, iPhone 6, SE846 with SCS and Tidal when I used it (reverted back to Spotify Premium because it's $5 per month [higher education discount] as opposed to $20 per month with Tidal).

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #492 of 1,973
Slightly off topic, but anyone know of a way to disable bluetooth A2DP without jailbreaking? Damn thing drives me crazy auto-playing every time I get in car when I never use bluetooth for music. I can't believe Android had this right years ago and iOS still does not.
confused.gif

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #493 of 1,973
My previous obsession was smartphones. I've owned too many iPhones and Android phones to name. Tweaked everything to hell and back, wrote my own kernel scripts, the whole 9 yards. I ALWAYS have good battery life, as I have learned through trial and error how to set up my phones in the most optimal way.

I'll let this screenshot of my iPhone 5 battery life on iOS 6.1.3 do the talking:

Please pick and choose what works best for you from this list, as obviously we still want the best functionality for our individual needs/wants:

1. Location Services - only enable for the apps that should know your location (i.e Google maps, Transit apps). Disable this for Facebook at ALL COSTS. Prefer to set "Use while in app" unless "Always" is needed. In Location Services, go to system services and only enable: Compass Calibration (Google Maps won't show your direction accurately after a while  or at all if you don't), Find my iPhone (if you use that) and Frequent Locations (for predictive traffic in maps/gmaps).

2. Background services - either disable completely (also disables geofencing) or enable only for the apps that you need to access background. Note: Skype will not show app badges with this disabled, but it will still show notifications. I alternate between disabled completely or enabled only for Skype and Dropbox (for auto camera sync on wifi). Everything else jives fine without it

3. Manual Brightness! - it stops the proximity sensor and ambient light sensor from polling constantly (this is the real reason why people blindly recommend this). Whatever brightness is comfortable to you. There's a trick where you can dim the screen via triple press home, even on stock iphone via some accessibility settings. Google it

4. Notifications - I see a lot of people leave these enabled for EVERYTHING. Be realistic. Enable for what you need. When you receive a notification, the screen turns on and takes up some battery. 

5. Calibrate your battery once/week or every two weeks. Let the battery die, charge it to 100% and leave phone connected for another 45 mins. I can write an essay on this, please challenge me.

6. Don't clear multitasking!!! Don't close apps manually unless you absolutely have to. The CPU, Disk and RAM has to work harder to start an app then to retrieve it from cache. This can have a considerable impact on battery life. A lot of people developed this habit from the 128/256/512MB phones which choked when everything was open. It's not needed any more, the memory management is pretty decent now.

7. The following apps abuse VOIP permissions to do whatever they want in the background without your permission: Facebook + FB Messenger and Hangouts. Replace Facebook + Facebook Messenger with the official Facebook Paper app (might need to change your Apple Store region to US then back, it's SUPER easy). It's a much better app in terms of navigation, aesthetics, battery usage and allows messaging AND news feed in the same app.

8. Unless absolutely needed, disable vibration. That little motor uses some serious juice when your phone is getting hammered with notifications. Note: starting that little motor from 0RPM takes more battery than keeping it at constant RPM so use this to your advantage in your vibration pattern if you must leave it enabled.

9. DO NOT USE PUSH EMAIL unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. Set the refresh interval to 15mins/30mins or an hour. This is huge (that's what she said). This is the number two draining element behind Location Services but I'm too lazy to switch it

10. This is something I don't have a problem with but if you are in an area where the signal is bad, daily, your battery life can take a huge hit. If I was experiencing that I would leave it, but you could for example enable airplane mode or disable Cellular Data (no data, but u still get SMS+Calls) and/or disable LTE (3g is still hitting HSPA+ speeds, no worries there). Enabling Airplane mode before you get on the subway is not a bad idea. Personally I can't be bothered to baby my phone like that anymore. 

Nov 12, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #494 of 1,973

That's nice to hear because despite this thread I went and ordered the Plus 128 GB. It suits my demands best as an overall device. It probably won't arrive before in two to four weeks, although I already got my Midnight Blue leather case.

Nov 12, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #495 of 1,973
Does anyone know if the iPhone 6 has the same Amp and DAC as the 6 Plus?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back