iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Nov 1, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #436 of 1,973
Good Day All,

I've been following this thread as this prompted me to go out and buy the 128 GB 6 Plus which I will use for the enjoyment of music playback.  A couple of nights ago I purchased the CanOpener App for IOS but couldn't get it to work with my wireless headphones.  It just wouldn't synch.  So, last night I just happened to try again and it magically started to work.  This App is amazing to my ears as the music just seems more open, less harsh, airy and clear.  It just sounds fantastic!  Anybody out there using this App and what are your impressions? 

Thanks and enjoy the music!

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #437 of 1,973
I am using the 6 plus,with HiFi M8,together with 846,or Westone 4R. At home. I also use the HD 800.It drives all of these with ease, Having all the controls on the M8,means I can get the sound I like.  ( NO. It won't go in my pocket!.) Highly recommended. 

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #438 of 1,973
I am using the 6 plus,with HiFi M8,together with 846,or Westone 4R. At home. I also use the HD 800.It drives all of these with ease, Having all the controls on the M8,means I can get the sound I like.  ( NO. It won't go in my pocket!.) Highly recommended. 

I keep reading how good the iPhones sound and admittedly neither my 5 nor my 6 really disappoint. However although I don't have any hi end gear ( the Philips L2, an SD3 and a re-shelled SD2) and my phones are my source most of the time but I always think that my MBA and an iPad mini retina are audibly better by quite a bit than the phones.

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #440 of 1,973
  Good Day All,

I've been following this thread as this prompted me to go out and buy the 128 GB 6 Plus which I will use for the enjoyment of music playback.  A couple of nights ago I purchased the CanOpener App for IOS but couldn't get it to work with my wireless headphones.  It just wouldn't synch.  So, last night I just happened to try again and it magically started to work.  This App is amazing to my ears as the music just seems more open, less harsh, airy and clear.  It just sounds fantastic!  Anybody out there using this App and what are your impressions? 

Thanks and enjoy the music!

CanOpener was discussed two weeks ago on this very thread.  Here's the link and enjoy the read: http://www.head-fi.org/t/733890/iphone-6-6-plus-audio-quality/270

Nov 1, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #442 of 1,973

Much respect and thanks!

No worries at all.  Have a great weekend! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 1, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #443 of 1,973
I keep reading how good the iPhones sound and admittedly neither my 5 nor my 6 really disappoint. However although I don't have any hi end gear ( the Philips L2, an SD3 and a re-shelled SD2) and my phones are my source most of the time but I always think that my MBA and an iPad mini retina are audibly better by quite a bit than the phones.

My 2012 15" Macbook Pro Retina replaced my Fiio E10, so not surprised with your findings.

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #444 of 1,973
Hi
Firstly, Let me say "Hi" - I've just joined here and it's a great source of information and advice!
I've been following this thread, particularly the EU volume limit info and as I'm sure you know, iFile was updated a few days ago, so having never done it before I jailbroke my iPhone 6 plus tonight, it all went well, but I seem to have hit a brick wall as to removing the EU volume cap:

I've read a thread here which says the setting to change is found:
/var/mobile/library/preferences/com.apple.celestial.plist
The file to change is:
volumelimits/headphone

when I look at that via iFile I see a slider switch for "canExceedEUVolumeLimit" which is switched on, plus under "volumelimits" headphones is at "1" and so is headset.

I'm very new to jailbreaking, but I assume that with the "canExceedEUVolumeLimit" switched on, maybe there isn't anything else to change?

I also read on a thread on Reddit )which is a year old) :
"SSH or iFile to "/System/Library/Frameworks/MediaToolbox.framework/"
and open

"RegionalVolumeLimits.plist"

Change the "0.82999999999999996" to "1" (either just the one for your country, e.g D=Deutschland=Germany or all)"

When I looked in that folder, there wasn't a "RegionalVolumeLimits.plist"

but there is a file "RouteDefaultVolumes.plist" with Airtunes at 1, Default at 0.5, HeadphonesBT at 1 and LineOut at 0.3

So, as things are, I can't notice that the headphone output is louder than before, so if anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful!

Cheers

Herbie

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #445 of 1,973
Hi
Firstly, Let me say "Hi" - I've just joined here and it's a great source of information and advice!
I've been following this thread, particularly the EU volume limit info and as I'm sure you know, iFile was updated a few days ago, so having never done it before I jailbroke my iPhone 6 plus tonight, it all went well, but I seem to have hit a brick wall as to removing the EU volume cap:

I've read a thread here which says the setting to change is found:
/var/mobile/library/preferences/com.apple.celestial.plist
The file to change is:
volumelimits/headphone

when I look at that via iFile I see a slider switch for "canExceedEUVolumeLimit" which is switched on, plus under "volumelimits" headphones is at "1" and so is headset.

I'm very new to jailbreaking, but I assume that with the "canExceedEUVolumeLimit" switched on, maybe there isn't anything else to change?

I also read on a thread on Reddit )which is a year old) :
"SSH or iFile to "/System/Library/Frameworks/MediaToolbox.framework/"
and open

"RegionalVolumeLimits.plist"

Change the "0.82999999999999996" to "1" (either just the one for your country, e.g D=Deutschland=Germany or all)"

When I looked in that folder, there wasn't a "RegionalVolumeLimits.plist"

but there is a file "RouteDefaultVolumes.plist" with Airtunes at 1, Default at 0.5, HeadphonesBT at 1 and LineOut at 0.3

So, as things are, I can't notice that the headphone output is louder than before, so if anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful!

Cheers

Herbie

Let me know if this helps
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E7BPsizmgzY

Nov 1, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #446 of 1,973
Hi
That EU Volume Limit Disabler didn't show up when I searched for it in Cydia.
There is a package called EUUnlimited which says it's for IOS6, so I've given that a miss!
Can you see EU Volume Limit Disabler when you search for it?

Nov 10, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #450 of 1,973

Further testing over the last few days with my Iphone 6 plus.
1. With Camera kit and the iFi iDSD playing CD quality test tracks
2. On its own with EQ on and Off
3. In direct comparison to the iBasso HDP-R10
Using Music Player on IOS
Findings with UE900s
A>IMHO, I find the Iphone 6 superior to the 5, and to my Xiaomi Android phone. It does not however sound audiophile. Without the EQ on, the SQ is too trebly and peaky. With the EQ on, the bass emphasis makes the sound listenable. Quite suitable for transit journeys in public transport.
B>With the camera kit and the iFi iDSD, the SQ takes a quality leap. Becomes quite listenable. Even with the XBass Flat setting, it is what I would say mid-fi SQ level.; Sound Stage wise it is average with reasonable L & R separation; Central vocal images are reasonable well defined.
C>On its own iphone 6 plus - in comparison to my iBasso HDP-R10 on its own, it loses out in transparency and neutrality. Sound stage is narrower and central image not so well defined.
D>With the camera kit and the iFi iDSD, much closer to the iBasso HDP-R10 on its own. but that is not a fair comparison as the amp section on the iDSD is really quite good. So plug in the iDSD to the line output of the HDP--R10 and the gap opens back in favor or the HDP-R10.

Findings with ATH-900 
Repeated A, B, C and D above.
A > It can drive the ATH-900 reasonably well. Surprising good sound. But needs the EQ to be on!
B >Ooh - really quite nice SQ. I could live with this for casual listening. X-Bass can be flat. SQ and Sound Stage is more than mid-fi. Really a nice Simple Portable setup.
C >ATH-900's sound quite nice on the 6plus. Definitely sounds better on the HDP-R10. Sound Quality and Sound Stage shows the audiophile standard of the HDP-R10.
D>With the camera kit and iFi DSD, I could easily live with the iphone 6 plus as the source. Spend the whole sunday switching between this and the HDP-R10 with the sound out to iFi DSD. Pretty good - SQ still a little trebly but really nothing much to complain about.

Findings with the HD800s
IMHO, even the HDP-R10 cannot drive the HD800's even on High Gain setting. Yes you can raise the volume and the SQ is quite good, but I know the HD800 when driven by the iFi DSD and even better on my 15watt/channel speaker amp set up.
A> Iphone 6 plus using a 1/8 to 1/4 inch adaptor. - Cannot drive the HD800.
B>With Camera Kit and iFi DSD - Enjoyable music with the HD800. Quite nice - really enjoyable. SQ and Sound Stage all round improvement over UE900 and ATH-900. (As it should be!!) Can Really Enjoy this setup
C>HD800 too fussy for even the HDP-R10 on its own.
D>See B above

REPEAT TEST of above using Accudio TM pro
((I remember my Accudio TM pro (USD4.99 on App Store) which I had on my iphone 5. Reinstalled it. -  With the correct bass lift (1 db ) and gain adjusted to get a smooth curve, EQ on, the above tests were repeated once more.
IMHO - dump the music player. The peaky treble is so much smoother with the Accudio TM Pro. Use an after market music player; I am quite happy with the Accudio TM pro (it is free as I had purchased it for my Iphone 5 previously)

Conclusion:
The Iphone 6 is good enough with a bit of EQ tweaking to provide hours of music pleasure during travelling and when you are not in the 'audiophile' serious listening mode.
A good set of IEM's helps tremendously of course.
With the camera kit and a good DAC/Amp - the SQ as a portable set is so good, I can heartily recommend it;
Oh yes DUMP the music player in IOS!

Music Tracks used
1. A Hundred Miles or More - Alison Krauss
2. The Changing Lights - Stacey Kent
3. Sting Live in Berlin
4. Moody Blues - Live at the Albert Hall
5. Chris Issac - Live at the Filmore
6. Shelby Lynne - Just a little Lovin'

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back