iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Oct 31, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #425 of 1,973
Hi guys, first post.

Trying to decide between a 6 or 6 plus and I just read on WhatHiFi that the 6 plus audio quality isn't as good as the normal 6?  Just wondering if people here who have heard both can confirm at all?  I've seen the people with the 6 plus seem pretty happy with the sound quality though so a bit confused.

Thanks.

Oct 31, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #426 of 1,973
  Hi guys, first post.

Trying to decide between a 6 or 6 plus and I just read on WhatHiFi that the 6 plus audio quality isn't as good as the normal 6?  Just wondering if people here who have heard both can confirm at all?  I've seen the people with the 6 plus seem pretty happy with the sound quality though so a bit confused.

Thanks.

Welcome to Head-Fi, cjh86!  I believe that overall, there is not a concrete consensus regarding which phone's audio quality is 'better'.  My suggestion would be to bring your favorite headphones and A/B the demo songs that are on both of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus' at a location that has both for demo and try them both out to find out what sounds best to you.  You can also stream a few YouTube videos as well and A/B those if you'd like.  I would also try out both sizes and find out for yourself if the Plus may be too large for you, or if it is a match made in smartphone heaven.  Good luck, and again, welcome! 
regular_smile .gif

Oct 31, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #427 of 1,973

Welcome to Head-Fi, cjh86!  I believe that overall, there is not a concrete consensus regarding which phone's audio quality is 'better'.  My suggestion would be to bring your favorite headphones and A/B the demo songs that are on both of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus' at a location that has both for demo and try them both out to find out what sounds best to you.  You can also stream a few YouTube videos as well and A/B those if you'd like.  I would also try out both sizes and find out for yourself if the Plus may be too large for you, or if it is a match made in smartphone heaven.  Good luck, and again, welcome! 
regular_smile%20.gif

+1

Oct 31, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #428 of 1,973
  Hi guys, first post.

Thanks.

Welcome and the traditional greeting (and so true) is "Welcome to Head~Fi sorry about your wallet"   
beerchug.gif

Nov 1, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #429 of 1,973
  I took delivery of a 128GB 6 Plus yesterday. I like the way it sounds, it's warmer than either my iPod classic or the touch I used to own. However, I noticed that I sometimes get a little faint pop or click from the headphone out after music stops playing, about 30 seconds afterwards. It's like the amp is shutting down. I got this with three different headphones/earphones. Anyone else experience this? Hopefully it's a software bug that will get fixed in an update.

Don't think that this is an issue... I have tested and replicated this on both my iPad and Macbook Pro Retina Late 2013. It sounds indeed like the preamp powering on and off to save battery... 

Nov 1, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #430 of 1,973
I bought the iPhone 6 Plus and report that the SQ is the same as the iPhone 5S though one notch quieter with the ridiculous EU volume cap. There has been a jailbreak released for the the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus but I am unable to install it as it isn't available for Mac OSX yet.

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #431 of 1,973
I bought the iPhone 6 Plus and report that the SQ is the same as the iPhone 5S though one notch quieter with the ridiculous EU volume cap. There has been a jailbreak released for the the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus but I am unable to install it as it isn't available for Mac OSX yet.

Which headphones are you using?

I did not find the sound identical and need address the issue since a good friend of mine is traveling to the US next week and he could bring me a non capped iPhone 6...

Running seems like a great idea until you actually start running

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #432 of 1,973
Which headphones are you using?

I did not find the sound identical and need address the issue since a good friend of mine is traveling to the US next week and he could bring me a non capped iPhone 6...

Running seems like a great idea until you actually start running

The headphones I am using are Audio Technica CKX9iS which are very good IEMs. I also tested with B&W C5 and still the same. Of course the reason my 6 Plus may sound the same as my 5s may be due to the EU cap being on both my 6 Plus and 5S which I once read affect SQ.

Nov 1, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #434 of 1,973

You should use a VM, you can use Virtual Box (free) and download M$ iso from their site (demo mode)

Nov 1, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #435 of 1,973

You should use a VM, you can use Virtual Box (free) and download M$ iso from their site (demo mode)

Or you can use Boot Camp as well.  Fairly straightforward regarding use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back