iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Oct 28, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #406 of 1,973
Nice review, dawg

I also signed up for the 30 day trail today and would have to agree with everything you've said about it, however, I was able to get "hifi" playback while on 4g/LTE connection (with hiccups) and pretty seamless playback while on wifi 100/5.

I would definately agree that it's the best sounding streamer I've ever tried and I've tried most.

I expect I'll be using the heck out of this service for the 30 day trail and will have to think long and hard about whether to pony up for the $20 monthly charge after that to keep the service going.

Hopefully, Tidal will continue to make improvements (the sooner the better) to help justify the cost of this outstanding but expensive service.

Cheers

Oct 29, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #407 of 1,973
Are you sure it's a Wolfson DAC? Got these specs from GSMArena...

The Exynos 5430 chipset that is at the heart of the Samsung Galaxy Alpha has a Seiren co-processor. It's a Cortex-A5 processor that's tasked exclusively with decoding audio, band equalization and sample rate conversions. The Snapdragon 801 version of the Galaxy Alpha lacks this additional core.

Yes, I know a Wolfson when I hear one. :)

Anyway, you can see here. Only Exynos chipsets have it though, Snapdragon has its own audio codec so there isn't a Wolfson codec in phones with Snapdragon.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung+Galaxy+Alpha+Teardown/29604

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #408 of 1,973
Thanks for confirming that. I can imagine the confusion of the audiophile customer trying to figure out which version of the phone has the Wolfson DAC inside. Is it region specific?
Anyhow... Back on topic... Any other users out there comparing the iPhone 6 or 6 plus headphones output quality vs any other contenders?
It seems the LG G3 has quite a bit of issues with interference through headphones jack.... Nevertheless it was measured by GSMArena as having the cleanest output, lowest stereo crosstalk and highest dynamic range trailing right below the iPhone 6 plus (with headphones attached). This still makes the iPhone 6 plus the technical winner on paper.... But would love to hear more testimonials...

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #409 of 1,973
Thanks for confirming that. I can imagine the confusion of the audiophile customer trying to figure out which version of the phone has the Wolfson DAC inside. Is it region specific?
Anyhow... Back on topic... Any other users out there comparing the iPhone 6 or 6 plus headphones output quality vs any other contenders?
It seems the LG G3 has quite a bit of issues with interference through headphones jack.... Nevertheless it was measured by GSMArena as having the cleanest output, lowest stereo crosstalk and highest dynamic range trailing right below the iPhone 6 plus (with headphones attached). This still makes the iPhone 6 plus the technical winner on paper.... But would love to hear more testimonials...

Indeed. Wolfson dac must be in all Samsung models I think, Snapdragon codec can't quite match the quality. It's really stupid of them to make different versions, then again, European iPhone 6 sounds worse than American iPhone 6 due to volume caps.

As far as I know, USA mostly get Samsung with Snapdragon SoCs. The last Galaxy with a Wolfson dac in the US was Note II if I'm not mistaken. In most of Europe, my country included, we get Samsung phones with Exynos SoCs and Wolfson dacs.

I don't want to sabotage this thread, but Snapdragon SoCs are not that good. Newest Exynos chips are even slightly better. Apple's A8 and Nvidia's 64 bit K1 chips (used in Nexus 9) are much better. Snapdragon are way behind in terms of technology (2 years behind of Apple and Nvidia). They couldn't even make a proper 64 bit chip, even the upcoming Snapdragon 810 is ARM's own design and not Snapdragon's custom design. Samsung should just stop using Snapragon, make better Exynos SoCs and include the highest quality Wolfson dacs in all their phones.

Oh and it would be great if Apple gave Europeans the option to buy iPhones without headphones so that we could buy an iPhone without a volume cap.

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #410 of 1,973
My Galaxy TAB had a Wolfson on board and there even was a hack to make it sound better.... But my Exynos Galaxy Note (1) was already equipped with a Yamaha YMU823 codec ..... But I digress...

(Edited to reflect the correct audio codec)

Oct 29, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #411 of 1,973
Besides the SQ on Tidal that won me over is another option I like is being able to stream to more than one device at the same time... 
for the test I used a IPad, Iphone5, Iphone6 and a PC... 

all on wifi and all playing different songs... worked great....  so the wife can stream and I can stream at the same time for the same single price.. :)

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #412 of 1,973
My personal consensus regarding Tidal is that I am going to enjoy the music while I still have the trial period, and then try to get another trial period in after a few months to find out if their service has gotten more robust and that everything else other than sound quality is up to Spotify's level to warrant me paying 4 times more a month than I currently do now.  I would love it if Spotify would offer lossless/FLAC quality music.  I am pretty sure that once other more established streaming services start to offer lossless quality streaming music as well, Spotify will more than likely follow suit.

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #413 of 1,973
As an european user of an american (uncapped) iPhone 5s wanna share a short story that might help others:

Last Sunday morning my iPhone 5s 64gb (US Model A1533 GSM) experienced a loss of sensivity on a part of the screen.

Restoring did not solve the issue so rushed to an Apple Store in the afternoon.

They serviced the A1533 iPhone by swapping the screen several times. Issue remained so...

...they told me that they would swap the iPhone under warranty but since they didn't have A1533 iPhones (or any other non european iPhone) they would ask for it and ring me back when it arrived.

Early Tuesday morning (barely 40 hours after leaving the store) the manager rings me: my brand new US A1533 iPhone 5s 64Gb has arrived in store. Rushed there. Thus in less than 48 hours i got a brand new AMERICAN (non capped) iPhone from my local (EUROPEAN) Apple Store. All covered by the warranty. I just spent the gas to get there.

Bottom line: it's pefectly feasible to live in Europe with an US iPhone both from an operational and from an aftersales support points of view. Hence it's possible to enjoy the whole volt fromt headphone out instead of the crippled amp we are served in Europe thanks to dumb politicans.

My kudos to Apple for such a 1st class replacement. After 6 years not that i was thinking in leaving the brand but certainly that brand has impressed me.

Oct 29, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #414 of 1,973
Well I just ordered an Iphone 6+ 128gb for me, 64gb for my wife.  Been playing around more with my Ipad Air recently.  Had it for a year but didn't bother with music on it, and wow, I'm liking it more than the Note 2.  With or without the E18.

Dixter, I looked up the O2, and I might buy the C5D(a portable O2?) just for the Iphone.  Not sure if I should keep the E18 or send it back.  Very few comparisons online between the E18 and C5D, but they all say C5D is better.

Edit:  And oh, I will definitely have to check out Tidal!

Oct 29, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #415 of 1,973
  Well I just ordered an Iphone 6+ 128gb for me, 64gb for my wife.  Been playing around more with my Ipad Air recently.  Had it for a year but didn't bother with music on it, and wow, I'm liking it more than the Note 2.  With or without the E18.

Dixter, I looked up the O2, and I might buy the C5D(a portable O2?) just for the Iphone.  Not sure if I should keep the E18 or send it back.  Very few comparisons online between the E18 and C5D, but they all say C5D is better.

Edit:  And oh, I will definitely have to check out Tidal!

does 6 sound better than 6+?

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #416 of 1,973
Anyone else think that the included EarPods synergize great with the iPhone 6+? I mean I was a fan of them when they came with my iPhone 5, but it's even better now. Opinions?

Oct 30, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #418 of 1,973
I have a Iphone 5 and now the 64gb Iphone 6 plus. Using the UE900s IEMs plugged in directly, I find the Iphone 6 plus cleaner and punchier in the bass. Highs are sweeter and mid smoother. I tried plugging in the FiiO E12 amp - found the bass boost (later version - 50 hz I think) a bit boomy and muddied the mids (We all know the E12 does that!).
I short I prefer the 6 plus on its own.
I tried the iFi DSD Micro using the camera kit. I used my Audio Technica AT900's - Will try it with my HD800's this evening for more extended testing.
I will report back.

I have a Chinese Xiaomi Redmi Android phone. Let us say the SQ is underwhelming! Nothing seriously wrong but MEH...MEH!
Also on UE900's and E12.

Music:
Jackson Browne Solo Acoustic Vol I
Shelby Lyne Breakfast in Bed
Stacey Kent The Changing Lights
Alison Kraus - A Hundred Miles or More

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #419 of 1,973
I took delivery of a 128GB 6 Plus yesterday. I like the way it sounds, it's warmer than either my iPod classic or the touch I used to own. However, I noticed that I sometimes get a little faint pop or click from the headphone out after music stops playing, about 30 seconds afterwards. It's like the amp is shutting down. I got this with three different headphones/earphones. Anyone else experience this? Hopefully it's a software bug that will get fixed in an update.

Oct 31, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #420 of 1,973
  I took delivery of a 128GB 6 Plus yesterday. I like the way it sounds, it's warmer than either my iPod classic or the touch I used to own. However, I noticed that I sometimes get a little faint pop or click from the headphone out after music stops playing, about 30 seconds afterwards. It's like the amp is shutting down. I got this with three different headphones/earphones. Anyone else experience this? Hopefully it's a software bug that will get fixed in an update.

If I'm by the Apple store this weekend I'll plug my IEM's to test for ya

So do I pause the music and wait or?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back