iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Oct 28, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #391 of 1,973
Dear all,

Did the iphone 6 still keep the flat sound signature as same  as it predecessor ? 

As myself love the rock/metal genre music I always goes with sony mobile phone. Once I use the iphone 4s I found it's very suck for the bass impact. 

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #393 of 1,973
I am going to buy an iphone 6, but not yet decided. I thought the storage is the only difference of 6 & 6+.
So should I buy 6+ instead of 6 if I want better sound quality?

I'm not sure what you mean by storage being the only difference? They have the same storage configs.The sound should be exactly the same. The + has a non-audio knock against it IMO, as I think it will prove to be underpowered for its screen resolution.

Oct 28, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #394 of 1,973
I am waiting for delivery of a 6+. I have a couple of questions.

If i use Amazon cloud player to download my music into the 6+, will the Neutron player be able to access the music files. Is it true that i will have to use I-tunes ( media monkey?) on my PC to get the music into the apple music player ?

I have had a few i phones in the past, but have been using a 128gb S3 for the past couple of years. I so wish Poweramp was available for IOS.

Oct 28, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #395 of 1,973
If you're using the native Apple music player then both itunes and Mediamonkey will work. But for the Neutron player you have to sync the files through iTunes, but there are 2 ways, as Neutron can be pointed to 2 directories, either the iTunes directory or the Neutron directory. For Neutron to be able to see the files in the Neutron directory you use iTunes and scroll to apps until you find the Neutron app and then you transfer the files to the Neutron directory, in fact the same way as if you would sync non media files to their respective app in iOS. Not sure if Mediamonkey can sync to other directories on the iOS devices.

The reason why Neutron gives you options if to be able to transfer Flac files to your iPhone (iPad) as iTunes does not support these via the native Apple music player...

Oct 28, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #396 of 1,973
I tried the new Galaxy Alpha phone the other day, which has a Wolfson dac, and to me it sounded better than iPhone 6 and 6+. Smoother and more musical but maybe a tad less detailed. I prefer a smooth sound signature. That said, I hate Samsung's software so I'd never buy a Samsung phone, no matter how good it sounds. Touchwiz UI is horrible.

Oct 28, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #397 of 1,973
Are you sure it's a Wolfson DAC? Got these specs from GSMArena...

The Exynos 5430 chipset that is at the heart of the Samsung Galaxy Alpha has a Seiren co-processor. It's a Cortex-A5 processor that's tasked exclusively with decoding audio, band equalization and sample rate conversions. The Snapdragon 801 version of the Galaxy Alpha lacks this additional core.

Oct 28, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #398 of 1,973
I just got my Tidal lossless free trial offer today -- another source option.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ianmorris/2014/10/28/tidal-lossless-music-streaming-review-forget-spotify-get-cd-quality-music/

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #399 of 1,973
If you're using the native Apple music player then both itunes and Mediamonkey will work. But for the Neutron player you have to sync the files through iTunes, but there are 2 ways, as Neutron can be pointed to 2 directories, either the iTunes directory or the Neutron directory. For Neutron to be able to see the files in the Neutron directory you use iTunes and scroll to apps until you find the Neutron app and then you transfer the files to the Neutron directory, in fact the same way as if you would sync non media files to their respective app in iOS. Not sure if Mediamonkey can sync to other directories on the iOS devices.

The reason why Neutron gives you options if to be able to transfer Flac files to your iPhone (iPad) as iTunes does not support these via the native Apple music player...

Thanks, I was hoping that you could point the neutron player on the 6+ to the downloaded Amazon files folder and avoid the apple music player and itunes all together. Then i remembered its Apple.
smile.gif

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #400 of 1,973
Well the workaround would be to go in iTunes under the Amazon app to look for the downloaded Amazon files and to copy them to the Neutron app... Provided they aren't protected by DRM you should be able to play them :wink:

Oct 28, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #401 of 1,973
Can't wait for Tidal to come to Canada. Canada is always lagging in streaming services. Only 7 day trial though? Everyone else does 30 days.

Oct 28, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #402 of 1,973
I just DL'd the iphone app today after receiving the email notice this morning that they were now streaming in the US

Got the 30 day trail and have high hopes for this service to be a success. So far I'm liking what i'm hearing. Definitely sounds better than any other streaming service i've tried b4 and I've tried most.

I'm still on an iphone 5, ios7, (JB'd), will be getting the 6+ in December.

Oct 28, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #403 of 1,973
Here's pretty nice solution for the iphones that I have been trying out this afternoon....   

https://www.avforums.com/threads/review-of-ravpower-filehub.1807172/

For the test I'm using the following:

iphone 5
ifi idsd micro DSD DAC/AMP
RavPower wireless file hub
PNY 256GB mem stick
Oppo PM-2 Headphones
Nplayer App

So far its played back everything I've thrown at it including DSD formats...   the DSD are being converted to PCM... but they still play and sound great... 

The iphone app N Player doesn't have the same options as Neutron but does work and is lots easier to use....   I'm still playing with Neutron to see if I can get it to work with this setup too....

Oct 28, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #404 of 1,973
Turned on Tidal this afternoon.....   very very nice.... 
atsmile.gif
   Lots of fun with this streamer....     so much music I've never heard and the SQ is perfect....

I only got the 7 day tryout... but won't matter... its staying on the phone....

with the ifi idsd its fantastic...

http://tidalhifi.com/us

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #405 of 1,973
Review: The "Tidal" Wave - 'HIFI'delity Streaming Is Here To Stay

I heard of the streaming music application "Tidal" through Head-Fi member, Dixter as well as various audio websites on the internet.

I have been trying out just about every music playback application that has been mentioned on Head-Fi, and have found the best sounding offline, local music playback application (Neutron) and it has not been 'beaten' yet regarding overall sound quality, but I was only limited to Spotify for great sounding streaming music for a great price ($5 per month if you are a college student).  There was nothing even remotely close to an application that could best Spotify regarding having an all-around stellar listening experience, until I listened to the "Tidal" streaming music service.

After reading a couple of recommendations for the service, I thought, why not try it out?  

I tried out the streaming service Tidal tonight, and here are my findings (tested on my iPhone 6, 128GB iOS 8.1):

Very good music quality, as the HIFI setting (when the song is playing in HIFI mode, shown as lit on the bottom right of Now Playing screen) sounds better than Spotify's Extreme Setting (320 kbs), no arguing that.

With that said, here are the pros and cons of Tidal:

Pros:

- HIFI songs sounds amazing and Tidal is a leader (as of 10-28-14) regarding streaming Lossless/FLAC-quality music.

- The interface is easy to use (in my opinion) as users of Spotify will acclimate to the UI of Tidal fairly easily.

Cons:

- You can try Tidal free, but that is after you give Tidal your credit card number or authorize Tidal to charge you $19.99 per month after the 7 day trial (you can cancel before the 7 days are over so they will not charge you).  This means if you plan to keep this app, the music will sound great, but you will be paying to play.

- Using your cell network to stream HIFI songs is disabled by default.  If you enable it, I hope that you have a high enough data plan (or have an unlimited data plan) to prevent incurring data overage charges with your cellular network.

- You need a fairly fast WiFi network to stream the HIFI songs without any intermittent hiccups.  I paid for the fastest service at home (Time Warner), and I still experienced intermittent buffering with some songs (around 40% - 50% of them).  

- If you are streaming HIFI songs, you will experience slightly longer (up to several seconds longer) buffering regarding playing each song compared to Spotify as well if you attempt to fast forward each specific HIFI song compared to Spotify, as the HIFI songs files are larger than the Spotify Extreme Setting songs.

Findings and Suggestions

You can use your WiFi network to stream HIFI songs without your cellular data being affected if you keep the HIFI cellular streaming toggle switched off.  You will need to lower quality in settings to have a compromise of not using too much data when you stream music when you are on your cellular network.  Once you lower the quality, Spotify sounds just as good as Tidal, as both sound great.

You can also save the songs in offline mode, but make sure your device has enough storage space to accommodate the additional file storage space each HIFI song will require.

If you already have a subscription to Spotify Premium (or your favorite streaming service), it may be a little difficult to give up your playlists and offline songs if you decide to cancel the Spotify service for the Tidal service, and going from as low as $5 a month to $20 a month may be too big of a jump to some people.  Again, regarding quality audio streaming, you currently have to pay to play.

My suggestion is that everyone should check out Tidal if you have a credit card and/or a PayPal account, because if you do not like it, you can just cancel the subscription before your trial period ends (and not get charged).

Conclusion

All and all, until more established companies like Spotify, Beats, Pandora, etcetera, up their game and offer Lossless/FLAC quality streaming, Tidal is simply put, the discerning audio enthusiasts' streaming application.  Happy Listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back