iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Sep 24, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #92 of 1,973
Its neat in a recent Hi-Fi Guy facebook post he said that low impedance headphone have some major issue with the 6. 

That's the kind of Samsung issue that i find hard to believe that's happening on 2014 iPhones.

Guess more assessments on the matter would be needed.

As a cautionary measure i think i'd stick to my trusty 5s for the time being.

Sep 24, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #94 of 1,973
iPhone 5S also has high output impedance >2 and is not good for low impedance IEM's like XBA-3/30/4/40, but sounds amazing with everything else.
iPhone 5 was even worse with impedance >3
On iPhone 4 the impedance was best of them all <1
iPhone 4 is <2 Ohm impedance.
If the new iPhone 6/6+ has impedance <3 should be fine with everything that is not so low impedance dependable like the XBA series.

Sep 24, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #96 of 1,973
I got EPH-100s in the mail today (16 ohm) and it is much tamer with them than with RE400s (32). RE0(64) was better than RE400s.

I have not heard any clipping on any of them (though the sibilance just about killed me on the RE400s). My Wolfson GS3 is noticeably smoother on all. This sounds better to me at first blush, but some of that might be my familiarity with it; iPhone is the more aggressive of the two.

If I had to guess, I would say that it could use some minor tweaks to the hardware controls to take a little of the edge off. 

Sometime soon, I will get the GF's 5s and do some comparisons. Also, my RE400s went in for a warranty cord repair, so will be interesting to see if what I get back sounds any different.

Sep 24, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #98 of 1,973
Just started playing around with the iPhone 6 plus and I'm not sure about the sound quality. I was using an iPhone 4 for a while and liked that. The 6 seems to have a wider soundstage but lacks the impact of the 4. The best way I can describe it is the 4 was a more forward sounding player and while not bass heavy in any way whatsoever, definitely had more punch.

This is how I've felt using my vmoda m80s and se535s. As it goes, I prefer the 4

Sep 24, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #99 of 1,973
Just started playing around with the iPhone 6 plus and I'm not sure about the sound quality. I was using an iPhone 4 for a while and liked that. The 6 seems to have a wider soundstage but lacks the impact of the 4. The best way I can describe it is the 4 was a more forward sounding player and while not bass heavy in any way whatsoever, definitely had more punch.

This is how I've felt using my vmoda m80s and se535s. As it goes, I prefer the 4

Nice little review neat findings with the 4. 

Sep 25, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #100 of 1,973
I got my iPhone 6 in Cologne (Germany) yesterday. I've been testing it with regards to SQ for over a day now, and must say I am impressed.
However, I compared it to my iPhone 5S. I've had all previous iPhones, but I can't really (objectively) remember the sound of them. 

Tested with my Westone 4R's: 
It seems the iPhone 6 has a more 'lush' and 'warm' sound signature, with a tad expanded soundstage. It is (to my ears) equally detailed, the details are just presented in a different manner. I can't put my finger on that one yet.

Tested with my Beyerdynamic T70p (directly driven from HP out):
iPhone 6 definitely drives the beyers way better. It was never about the power with the 5S, but the sound was just too tinny. And yes, the T7-p can be 'bright' or 'thin' sounding to some, but when powered adequately it is a beautifully balanced and brilliantly insightful can.
The iphone 5S could never pull this off, the iPhone 6 can. I have to do some more proper testing though.

On a side note: I've had the chance to audition an iPhone 4S last month. It was rather as I remembered; powerful and loads of impact. However decay, separation and overall detail were seriously lacking to my ears (compared to iPhone 6 from the top of my head).

Regards,

Ric.

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #101 of 1,973
  I got my iPhone 6 in Cologne (Germany) yesterday. I've been testing it with regards to SQ for over a day now, and must say I am impressed.
However, I compared it to my iPhone 5S. I've had all previous iPhones, but I can't really (objectively) remember the sound of them. 

Tested with my Westone 4R's: 
It seems the iPhone 6 has a more 'lush' and 'warm' sound signature, with a tad expanded soundstage. It is (to my ears) equally detailed, the details are just presented in a different manner. I can't put my finger on that one yet.

Tested with my Beyerdynamic T70p (directly driven from HP out):
iPhone 6 definitely drives the beyers way better. It was never about the power with the 5S, but the sound was just too tinny. And yes, the T7-p can be 'bright' or 'thin' sounding to some, but when powered adequately it is a beautifully balanced and brilliantly insightful can.
The iphone 5S could never pull this off, the iPhone 6 can. I have to do some more proper testing though.

On a side note: I've had the chance to audition an iPhone 4S last month. It was rather as I remembered; powerful and loads of impact. However decay, separation and overall detail were seriously lacking to my ears (compared to iPhone 6 from the top of my head).

Regards,

Ric.

Nice assessment. Thanks

BTW i'm afraid the colored volume squares, the screen self lighting up when volume on headphones goes loud and the EU toggle in the volume limit menu are still there...which means that is capped and does not go as loud as an iPad or a non european iPhone ;(

Sep 25, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #102 of 1,973
  I don't like Apple products much but I applaud them for putting discrete audio dac chips in their phones as opposed to onboard chips in Android phones. I really dislike Android now due to its instability and will probably buy a Windows Phone but if the dac chip in 6/6+ is good, I might buy an iPhone instead.

I am late to the party and if this has been answered I apologize, I could not find it in this thread. What is the DAC chip used in the 6s?

BTW, I have a 6+ 128, and was thrilled to double the amount of music I can carry around on it. I don't listen often to music from my phones as I have a good DAP but when I do, its nice to have a good selection.

Sep 25, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #103 of 1,973
Has anyone been able to measure the output impedance on the iPhone 6 yet?

Sep 25, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #105 of 1,973

I am late to the party and if this has been answered I apologize, I could not find it in this thread. What is the DAC chip used in the 6s?

BTW, I have a 6+ 128, and was thrilled to double the amount of music I can carry around on it. I don't listen often to music from my phones as I have a good DAP but when I do, its nice to have a good selection.

It is the same 338S1201 audio codec for 5S, 6 and 6+ 

Has anyone been able to measure the output impedance on the iPhone 6 yet?

No info yet.

Let's move further iPhone 6 sound quality discussion to the new dedicated tread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/735430/iphone-6-plus-ios-8-sound-quality-discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back