iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Oct 20, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #316 of 1,973
Neutron IS able to recognise my playlists but they aren't arranged in folders created under iTunes.

Okay. If you must use folders and not playlists (even though Neutron should be able to fully recognize folders) try the Onkyo music player, at it may be able to recognize folders for you.

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #317 of 1,973
I tried to get a new phone today... no luck. sold out everywhere, Note 4 and iPhone 6 plus. I did see the Note 4,didnt look much different than my Note 3. I might get the iPhone 6+ instead...

I am worried about using it. it's been a while, since the OG iPhone was released. Android has done well by me, especially for work. I can use spreadsheets, word, edit them, etc. last time I checked it wasn't possible in iPhone. Anyone know?

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #318 of 1,973
I agree, after checking it out, I can say there is not enough of a discernible difference in sound quality to rule out either. Onkyo, to my ears sounds great as well and is the only application that comes close or even on par with the sound quality of Neutron Player.

The Onkyo HD Player pack (FLAC, WAV, DSD playback) is an IAP of $9.99, which comes with the Neutron app when you purchase it. The Onkyo app does start off free though, so that is great if you do not intend to play high res music from the player - if you do, plan on paying $9.99.

I do like the EQ user interface as well as the "Featured EQ" presets - fun to try out. There may not be as many comprehensive and thorough settings/options as Neutron, but both apps sound great regardless of anything other than the processing/upsampling modes being set to 64-Bit/turned on - both are pure portable bliss.

Hi moedawg140.... in your reply you indicate that the Neutron app comes with " (FLAC, WAV, DSD playback) "     can you help me find out how to play back DSD on Neutron app...  thanks

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #319 of 1,973
I tried to get a new phone today... no luck. sold out everywhere, Note 4 and iPhone 6 plus. I did see the Note 4,didnt look much different than my Note 3. I might get the iPhone 6+ instead...

I am worried about using it. it's been a while, since the OG iPhone was released. Android has done well by me, especially for work. I can use spreadsheets, word, edit them, etc. last time I checked it wasn't possible in iPhone. Anyone know?

There are office applications such as Numbers (spreadsheet), Pages, Key notes etc under iOS so no worries.

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #320 of 1,973
You can edit with them as well, correct? one of my employees has an iPhone 5, he couldn't edit spreadsheets, only view. I thought that was weird, but he isn't technologically savvy. That would be a deal breaker for me.
The other reason I'm shying away from the Note 4, looks like customizing it won't be as easy as it was in the past, primarily theming. I'm still up in the air to be honest. They both have their benefits. I wish I could get both!!

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #321 of 1,973
Hi moedawg140.... in your reply you indicate that the Neutron app comes with " (FLAC, WAV, DSD playback) "     can you help me find out how to play back DSD on Neutron app...  thanks

I apologize if it sounded like I stated or implied Neutron can support playback of DSD files, because currently (check here: http://neutronmp.com/) it can not. Maybe in a forthcoming update it will.

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #323 of 1,973
Don't own the iphone 6 (European version), but have listened to it several times now in the Apple store.

I have to say that I'm not sure I'm a fan of the way it sounds. I'm no audiophile, but I trust my ears and from my admittedly limited listening, to me the bass seems a little slow and bloated and interferes with other frequencies. It could be that I'm just used to my HTC One M7 (which does lack punch sometimes). It actually sounds more like my M7 with Beats turned on (which is not a good thing).

The last iphone I owned was the 4 which to me was better than my HTC and the iphone 6. Absolutely clean, but with an impact when needed. Again, this could just be my memory playing tricks on me.

For those that have the 6 and are using Neutron or this Onkyo player that's also been mentioned : does it actually make a significant difference to the stock iphone player? And for a relative layman like myself, would I be able to wade through the UI and make sense of it to EQ out the bass?

Oh and btw I'm listening through DBA-02 Mkii IEM's.

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #324 of 1,973
Just to let people know, if they're features that you feel should be included in the app, feel free to let the developer know, he's very good about adressing any questions you may have on the app at his email adress, neutronmp@gmail.com There's a forum for discussions at http://neutronmp.com/neutronforum.html. Best of luck

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #325 of 1,973
Based on what I've read, Spotify music can only be listened through their specific apps because the music is DRM encrypted. I also read that there are certain extensions that exploit and bypass the DRM encryption.

Regarding streaming via Neutron, you would have to point Neutron to something like an audio file directory (like your own home server through a url). There are probably other ways, but the few sites that I tried streaming via url did not work for me. I would rather use Spotify itself to stream, as having to copy and paste each music or playlist file url in Neutron is not the most convenient. I only use Neutron to playback local files on my iPhone 6, and that's it. Everything else regarding audio playback, I use Spotify Premium.

There are third party apps which play Spotify data. I have on called SpotEQ which has a better equalizer.

I am not sure how it would work in iOS, but on Android you can play Spotify local files with other apps, e.g., Neutron or PowerAmp. Just point the app to the directory -- file names are crazy, but MP3 tags are read properly.

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #326 of 1,973
No if, right there you say neutron comes with wav flac and DSD, which is IAP with onkyo app. Which is it then :rolleyes:

You can read whatever is read however you want. I clarified what may have been implied, and if that is not good enough for you, then I'm not sure I would be able to help you, sir or ma'am. Please PM me if you have any more issues with me.

There are third party apps which play Spotify data. I have on called SpotEQ which has a better equalizer.

I am not sure how it would work in iOS, but on Android you can play Spotify local files with other apps, e.g., Neutron or PowerAmp. Just point the app to the directory -- file names are crazy, but MP3 tags are read properly.

Yeah, for iOS I'm not sure either. Spotify (at least on iOS) has an EQ already that isn't half bad. I know of a third party Spotify EQ for the desktop version of Spotify (haven't used though). The SpotEQ app looks like it has a lot going for it. I didn't test it out, but good find though. :bigsmile_face:

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #327 of 1,973
Maybe suggest that anyone who posts their findings on the sound of the iPhone 6 or 6 plus please also mentiones which firmware used... As it turns out it seems that 8.1 does have some changes for good or for worse depending on the app used and the headphones used...

Oct 21, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #328 of 1,973
What if I'm not looking for EQ but rather just a player to run the music through it's processor. With streaming on computer, I run everything off of Amarra SQ with EQ off. It still gives a pleasant flavour.

Oct 21, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #329 of 1,973
What if I'm not looking for EQ but rather just a player to run the music through it's processor. With streaming on computer, I run everything off of Amarra SQ with EQ off. It still gives a pleasant flavour.

Neutron as well as Onkyo for iOS sound great regardless of using EQ or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back