iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
May 7, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #1,801 of 1,973
iPhone 6 is the best smartphone for music period.
I just love how iPhone delivers the emotion in a voice and the instrument separation is the best I've heard on any smartphone

+1 from a subjective point of view

+1 objectively

https://m.seeko.co.kr/zboard4/zboard.php?id=m_device&page=2&sn1=&divpage=1&sn=off&ss=on&sc=off&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=9

May 7, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #1,802 of 1,973

I agree with both points of view regarding an external DAC, etc...  I've got the iFi DSD Nano and it really does make a big difference in SQ, but I travel a lot, so it's just not practical for flying and putting all that stuff onto your tray table. 

The iPhone 6 is an absolutely great piece of hardware.  That's the first good investment, here.  The second, IMHO, is a really good set of headphones.  They don't have to be expensive, but I promise you a set of used Noble Savants (I also have Shure SE535's) by themselves with the 6 make a terrific listening experience.  And that's all you need.  Use whatever software that floats your boat (I've tried them all and they all have pros and cons) and let the 6 and the headphones take you away.  

I still bring the Nano for times in the hotel where I can spread things out and take the time to appreciate some DSD files, etc...

May 8, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #1,803 of 1,973
Same here... On the bus communing to work I just use the IPhone 6+ with my Westone UMPro50s but when traveling business I bring my Venturecraft DAC/AMP as well... At home use a totally different dedicated system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 16, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #1,804 of 1,973

Okay, so I've got to say that my latest purchase has made a believer out of me that you can truly have it all with just a set of headphones and an iPhone 6.  I picked up a set of Shure SE846's and it's clear that just using them, the Onkyo HF app, and the iPhone 6 give me the best sound quality I've ever heard come from the 6.  The combination has me leaving my iDSD Nano at home, going forward.  In fact, these headphones make my Apple Music songs sound great and I've got 128gb storage on this phone and won't even need it.  I know the 846's  aren't for everyone, but man if you can save up for them, get 'em.  

May 16, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #1,805 of 1,973

Okay, so I've got to say that my latest purchase has made a believer out of me that you can truly have it all with just a set of headphones and an iPhone 6.  I picked up a set of Shure SE846's and it's clear that just using them, the Onkyo HF app, and the iPhone 6 give me the best sound quality I've ever heard come from the 6.  The combination has me leaving my iDSD Nano at home, going forward.  In fact, these headphones make my Apple Music songs sound great and I've got 128gb storage on this phone and won't even need it.  I know the 846's  aren't for everyone, but man if you can save up for them, get 'em.  

I agree wholeheartedly. Same setup here + Tidal.

May 25, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #1,806 of 1,973
Do you guys use EQ at "off" or "flat" setting with stock Music app? There's definitely a difference.

Also, I can't help but notice that for some strange reason stock Music app just simply sounds better than Neutron.

May 25, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #1,807 of 1,973
I just ordered a Cayin C5, which is an amp with no dac and I will be using my iphone 6 as my primary source. Do you think it would be beneficial to get an external dac like the dragonfly red or should I just stick with the headphone out on my iphone?

May 26, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #1,808 of 1,973
I just ordered a Cayin C5, which is an amp with no dac and I will be using my iphone 6 as my primary source. Do you think it would be beneficial to get an external dac like the dragonfly red or should I just stick with the headphone out on my iphone?

Depends what you are using it for IMO. For portable use don't underestimate how much of a PITA a stack is to cart around. I assume you are using a headphone that needs an amp? The iPhone itself sounds excellent with a nice pair of IEM's...
AFAIK the Cayin is not Apple certified so to get a true line out you will need the clunky CCK for the full masochistic audiophile experience :wink:

May 26, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #1,809 of 1,973
There are DIY cables out there that no longer need the apple CCK because the chip is already built-in... Lavricables has one that has the Lightning connector on one side and micro -USB on the other... Consequently with this cable I am able to output files digitally up to 192 kHz / 24 bit and even unconverted files of 384 kHz / 32 bit... Also can stream DSD natively ☺️

Provided your DAC or DAC/amp supports it of course...

May 26, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #1,810 of 1,973
There are DIY cables out there that no longer need the apple CCK because the chip is already built-in... Lavricables has one that has the Lightning connector on one side and micro -USB on the other... Consequently with this cable I am able to output files digitally up to 192 kHz / 24 bit and even unconverted files of 384 kHz / 32 bit... Also can stream DSD natively ☺️

Provided your DAC or DAC/amp supports it of course...

This "Lavricables" sounds promising.  Do they have a thread for their CCK cable?  My quick perusals made it seem like performance is hit or miss with current firmware.  This is more likely an Apple issue; but I would be buying this to make things better than the current sad state of affairs with the CCK and perhaps the Lavricable is not fully there yet. One user had to return his.  Now true, Lavricable took it back, but then again I would prefer to know that it just "works".

I find the CCK really unreliable and a pain to use.  True, on a sunny day it will feed hi res to my various DAC units, but only if I chant several prayers from multiple faiths and aim eastwards.

What ever happened to the FIIO L19 ?

May 26, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #1,811 of 1,973
I have both the Fiio L19 and the 6N pure silver OTG lightning to micro USB from Lavrivables. The latter one is less bulkier and sounds more detailed too. You can PM Lavricables here on head-fi or check out his eBay or Facebook.
https://m.facebook.com/lavricables

May 27, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #1,812 of 1,973
 Do you guys use EQ at "off" or "flat" setting with stock Music app? There's definitely a difference.

Also, I can't help but notice that for some strange reason stock Music app just simply sounds better than Neutron.

I have tried many players but always come back to the stock music app because the sound quality is really good and the interface is killer.

And about the EQ, I don't find any difference between flat and off

May 27, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #1,813 of 1,973
+1 from a subjective point of view

+1 objectively

https://m.seeko.co.kr/zboard4/zboard.php?id=m_device&page=2&sn1=&divpage=1&sn=off&ss=on&sc=off&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=9

Thanks for the link. Results are really outstanding.

Apple is improving the sound in every iteration of iOS, I don't know what magic they're doing in the software but I'm impressed to say the least. One of these days Apple will kill the boutique bricks.

May 27, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #1,814 of 1,973
I have both the Fiio L19 and the 6N pure silver OTG lightning to micro USB from Lavrivables. The latter one is less bulkier and sounds more detailed too. You can PM Lavricables here on head-fi or check out his eBay or Facebook.
https://m.facebook.com/lavricables

I have the Lightening to Micro from Lavricables that you refer to, very happy with it. The sound is fine, cannot say it makes a huge difference but if there is it's certainly for the better. I highly recommend Lavricables, they're a pleasure to do business with.

I'm wondering whether to buy one for my AQ Red DAC. Perhaps not as the Mojo is getting more and more use over the AQ DAC. Therefore another $100 cable isn't overly justified right now, that may change.... 

May 28, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #1,815 of 1,973
Hi guys.

I'm sorry if I'm asking something that have been answered a lot of times, but I don't feel like reading 123 pages of forum posts, bear with me :)

I have an iPhone 6 and it has EU volume limit!

I have an mobile soundsystem.

When I play from my iphone my soundsystem can't play as loud as when my friends play from their iPhone 5's.

It annoys me!

If I want to buy a mobile little amplifier to crank the volume a bit, which one do you prefer? My soundsystems input is mini jack or phono.

Please help a n00b, angry at EU for stupid regulations. :)

Rasmus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back