iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Apr 15, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #1,756 of 1,973
Hi Elfary,

After having the iPhone 6s Plus for 3 weeks now, I think it is even warmer than the iPhone 6 which I had been using for one year. But it is very good to my ears without any buzzing up to now. Regarding V10, kissmevn mentioned that there was a whole background sound in a song that he could listen clearly on V10 but not on iPhone. I found this claim outrageous because even if V10 is brighter, the differences are too minimal for someone to claim that he could hear something in a song on V10 and not on iPhone. Another strange claim was that he should turn up the volume on the iPhone to hear details clearly and this caused distortion!! I don't know but I never heard distortion from iPhone at any volume level...

I don't know if your iphone is different but on my friend's, the mid become a bit distored after 60% of the sound bar(maybe sorce unforgiving and k10 too revealing?). I once owned 5/5s and it has the same problem. The only iphone I liked is the 4s(paired well with my gr07). Wish we could meet each other to test side by side and clear things :)

Apr 15, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #1,758 of 1,973
I don't know if your iphone is different but on my friend's, the mid become a bit distored after 60% of the sound bar(maybe sorce unforgiving and k10 too revealing?). I once owned 5/5s and it has the same problem. The only iphone I liked is the 4s(paired well with my gr07). Wish we could meet each other to test side by side and clear things :)

You know what? Everything could be; maybe your iems are too sensitive, maybe there is a mismatch with iPhone, maybe LG is brighter than iPhone...differences are minimal. The problem is that you came here trying to advertise your purchase by diminishing another product which you don't like. Well, statistically many more audiophiles (I am not one by the way) agree that there is no distortion above 60%(!!!) volume on any iPhone. Either your iems had a problem with device's output, or the device was defective, or your iems are too bright, or whatever. So to make clear once again: You are free to not like Apple like many others, I love Apple for many different reasons, but you have no right to claim publicly that iPhone has distortion above 60% volume in the mids. Your earphones may be the problem, your particular device, but not iPhone in general.

Also LG may have made an equally nice sounding device with Apple, some aspects better, some worse etc, little brighter here, kind of more detailed there...But it's not better than an iPhone. It may be to your ears, but it's just a subjective point of view. That's all. For me also it's rather strange that you go and buy devices with the crippled Android os, where the manufacturer of the device has nothing to do with the os and as I heard updates may take some months to arrive on your device, but it's just my point of view... You bought it, because you believe it's "more revealing than an iPhone"...Ok, well done. But do not try to advertise your purchase by diminishing a well known device produced by a company with many more years of expertise in the audio universe than LG.

And no we cannot meet. Sorry, I live too far away from you...

Apr 15, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #1,759 of 1,973
I have never ever heard distortion out of an iPhone 3Gs, 4s, 5s or 6 at any volume level with any iems (UM3x, SE530/535, W30, Pro 50 or SE846).

What i have read about that leaves me utterly puzzled.

If the tonality it's not right, then nothing else really matters.

Apr 15, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #1,763 of 1,973
You know what? Everything could be; maybe your iems are too sensitive, maybe there is a mismatch with iPhone, maybe LG is brighter than iPhone...differences are minimal. The problem is that you came here trying to advertise your purchase by diminishing another product which you don't like. Well, statistically many more audiophiles (I am not one by the way) agree that there is no distortion above 60%(!!!) volume on any iPhone. Either your iems had a problem with device's output, or the device was defective, or your iems are too bright, or whatever. So to make clear once again: You are free to not like Apple like many others, I love Apple for many different reasons, but you have no right to claim publicly that iPhone has distortion above 60% volume in the mids. Your earphones may be the problem, your particular device, but not iPhone in general.

Also LG may have made an equally nice sounding device with Apple, some aspects better, some worse etc, little brighter here, kind of more detailed there...But it's not better than an iPhone. It may be to your ears, but it's just a subjective point of view. That's all. For me also it's rather strange that you go and buy devices with the crippled Android os, where the manufacturer of the device has nothing to do with the os and as I heard updates may take some months to arrive on your device, but it's just my point of view... You bought it, because you believe it's "more revealing than an iPhone"...Ok, well done. But do not try to advertise your purchase by diminishing a well known device produced by a company with many more years of expertise in the audio universe than LG.

And no we cannot meet. Sorry, I live too far away from you...

Ok, fair enough, looks like our debate can't be solved for now. Sorry if what I say made you think that I want to diminish iphone, it's not. It's because you said iphone was the same as some dedicated Dap so my intention was only to try if that true.

Apr 16, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #1,764 of 1,973
I have never ever heard distortion out of an iPhone 3Gs, 4s, 5s or 6 at any volume level with any iems (UM3x, SE530/535, W30, Pro 50 or SE846).

What i have read about that leaves me utterly puzzled.

I have, but it takes a special set of circumstances for that to happen, specifically low impedence transducers with a relatively low sensistivity (just because an transducer has a low impedence does not automatically mean that it has a high sensistivity)

It's possible in that scenario that the iPhone (or any other phone/DAP for that matter) will not be able to provide sufficient current for a given volume level - current, not voltage, is the limiting factor for low impedence transducers.

Of course it's unlikely that you'll come across such a mismatch these days, but it is nonetheless possible, even more so if you have a habit of driving your headphones/IEMs to ear splitting levels.

Apr 16, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #1,765 of 1,973
Had i pushed the volume knob to the maximum, SPL with the iems i mentionesd would have gone north of 130dbs, so obviously i have never used the top two volume squares (in which non EU iPhones go past 0'5 volts) with any iPhone.

Apr 19, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #1,766 of 1,973
I want to get a portable dac/amp for my Shure se846 to bypass my iPhone 6+'s dac. Is there any portable dac/amp out there that would give me significant improvement in SQ compared to iPhone 6+ ? By improvement, I mean lower "record hiss" and increased soundstage, without sacrificing the bass.

I am not looking for DAPs, as I really enjoy the SQ and convenience of Tidal.

Thank you! 

Apr 19, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #1,767 of 1,973
I want to get a portable dac/amp for my Shure se846 to bypass my iPhone 6+'s dac. Is there any portable dac/amp out there that would give me significant improvement in SQ compared to iPhone 6+ ? By improvement, I mean lower "record hiss" and increased soundstage, without sacrificing the bass.

Thank you! 

I like my Onkyo HA200 and there is one in classified ATM...
Mind you,how about a DAP that plays Tidal?

Apr 19, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #1,769 of 1,973

Thank you! 

Check out the MOJO.  Its very good.

Apr 19, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #1,770 of 1,973
Thanks. A DAP that plays Tidal is fantastic ! Wishful thinking ...

Onkyo DP-X1 although there are some issues with that player according to the thread.
Pioneer xdp -100r
AR M2 or imminent M20. That's the one I'm waiting for...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back