iPhone 5 as a source
Sep 25, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #46 of 96
I agree with SnakeOil's comments. The iPhone 4 is a better sounding player than the iPhone 5, by a significant margin. 

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #47 of 96
I'll chime in.

Here's my take on it. The big "disappointment" to me is that I don't hear any improvement over the other iPhones. It's not that the 5 sounds bad on its own, but compared to the previous generations, it doesn't sound any better, and that's what I feel is "disappointing." Because otherwise I think it sounds very good. I've compared my 5 directly to my 4, and as others have described, the 4 is a little airier and open, whereas the 5 has a bit more mid and low-end presence. This isn't a horrible thing, but unfortunately, for already warm, mid-centric phones (like the ES5), this sound signature isn't ideal. Like I said, it really isn't bad even listening to my ES5s through it, but when you do an A/B comparison, you can tell the difference. Let me know if you want any more specifics, but that's what I hear.

As for the hissing when on the lock screen, loading the home screen, scrolling through home screens, etc., I do hear it, but only when I'm plugged into power. Unplugged, it's pretty much silent, but even when it's plugged in, once I hit Play, the hiss vanishes. It's odd, but it doesn't really bother me.

To me personally, even though the headphone out quality isn't any better, I feel the other big improvements to the phone (including the phone's speaker and screen quality, and certainly the speed) make it a worthy upgrade. But if all you're going for is a sound quality improvement, pass on this one.

Sep 25, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #48 of 96
Quote:

To me personally, even though the headphone out quality isn't any better, I feel the other big improvements to the phone (including the phone's speaker and screen quality, and certainly the speed) make it a worthy upgrade. But if all you're going for is a sound quality improvement, pass on this one.

Lets take a step back here - are Apple selling a smartphone or a portable music player ? You could argue that it is a media player in the same way as its iTouch sibling, but I cant quite see why Apple would throw more development budget into the sound quality of their smartphone. Assuming they have used the same silicon and software in the new Touch, it would be interesting to see some impressions on that iDevice vs its predecessor.

As I said earlier, I'm wary of early impressions, but if your disappointment is mirrored by owners of the new Touch / Nano, it makes the issue of being able to access the digital stream via the line-out even more important for Apple devotees going forward. Whether SQ from the headphone out is better or worse is likely unlikely to impact iPhone sales, IMO,. 

Sep 25, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #50 of 96
Quote:
I'll chime in.

Here's my take on it. The big "disappointment" to me is that I don't hear any improvement over the other iPhones. It's not that the 5 sounds bad on its own, but compared to the previous generations, it doesn't sound any better, and that's what I feel is "disappointing." Because otherwise I think it sounds very good. I've compared my 5 directly to my 4, and as others have described, the 4 is a little airier and open, whereas the 5 has a bit more mid and low-end presence. This isn't a horrible thing, but unfortunately, for already warm, mid-centric phones (like the ES5), this sound signature isn't ideal. Like I said, it really isn't bad even listening to my ES5s through it, but when you do an A/B comparison, you can tell the difference. Let me know if you want any more specifics, but that's what I hear.

As for the hissing when on the lock screen, loading the home screen, scrolling through home screens, etc., I do hear it, but only when I'm plugged into power. Unplugged, it's pretty much silent, but even when it's plugged in, once I hit Play, the hiss vanishes. It's odd, but it doesn't really bother me.

Thanks a lot for you detailed impressions.

As i posted elsewhere really i don't think that there is much room for improvement in the 16 bit realm from where iPhone 4/4S set the bar.

It seems that the 5 must sound closer to the iPad 2 where stereo crosstalk was a bit worse than 4/4S hence the less openness. Let's wait for the objective data to creep in but if the iPhone 5 is close to the 4/4S it will be a fine source for iems.

As for the hiss i had it with the 4S not connected to any power outlet. Just iPhone + UM3x and in the transition from unlock screen to the home screen there are a few seconds of loud hiss. And by now i've tried several 4S under iOS 6 and i heard the same noise on all of them. On the new 4S that Apple gave last weekend (that runs iOS 5.1) this hiss is absent and the blackness is there 100% of the time.

It's not a big deal since the hiss never happened on the music app but it just bugs me being greeted by few seconds of hiss.

Sep 25, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #52 of 96
Neither did i with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. Except when i updated the 4S to iOS 6.

But as i stated the hiss was just in the unlocking sequence thru the home screen. A couple of seconds after the home screen is loaded the hiss ceased no to come back till device locking. And i've experienced it on 4 iPhone 4S running iOS 6.

Back on topic with the iPhone 5 it's almost a general consensus that it does not sound any better than previous iPhones. And there are quite a few early adopters that hear it as a slight step back in comparison with 4/4S.

Sep 25, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #53 of 96
Meanwhile, over at WhatHifi:

"The iPhone 5 sounds better than ever. How Apple does this, we do not know. It’s incremental but apparent all the same, with extra detail and clarity making tracks even more engaging."

source: www.whathifi.com/review/apple-iphone-5

(part of) iLounge's take:

"Tested with an ultra high-end pair of JH Audio JH16 Pro earphones, the iPhone 5 generally exhibited even better sound quality than the iPhone 4S, with an even lower static floor and slightly enhanced clarity—details that will likely only be noticeable to users of relatively expensive headphones, but are upgrades nonetheless."

source: www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/apple-iphone-5-16gb-32gb-64gb/P2

Sep 25, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #54 of 96
well with CIEM the noise floor will not be aparent unless it is total crap.

the rest ("openness", spaciousness" etc). usually falls in the 6k-8k region when using a 1/30 Eq. But with out a base reference very difficult to know what is going on.

Sep 25, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #55 of 96
Quote:
I assume lightning cable to USB dac doesn't work, as was the case with other Apple products.. can anyone confirm this?

I would really love to know the answer to this if anyone can confirm. More specifically, I know some folks have confirmed that certain Made-For-iPhone USB DACs still work (e.g. ALO and CLAS), but it would be exquisitely awesome if the iPhone 5 Lightning adapter / connector can pass through (not decode, just pass through) unaltered digital audio via USB to regular, non-MFi, USB DACs (e.g. Centrance DACmini / DACport, Benchmark DAC1-USB, etc.) exactly like the iPad can via the Camera Connection Kit. Any knowledge out there on this? I have searched in vain for a definitive answer.

If the answer is yes then I am also extremely curious to know whether the digital output is capped at 24-bit / 48KHz like previous iPhones or whether it can pass through (again, not decode, just pass through to an external USB DAC) up to 24-bit / 96KHz -- again, exactly like the iPad can via the Camera Connection Kit to USB. (But for now I'd settle for knowing the answer to just the first question!) Thanks.

Sep 25, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #57 of 96
Quote:

I would really love to know the answer to this if anyone can confirm. More specifically, I know some folks have confirmed that certain Made-For-iPhone USB DACs still work (e.g. ALO and CLAS), but it would be exquisitely awesome if the iPhone 5 Lightning adapter / connector can pass through (not decode, just pass through) unaltered digital audio via USB to regular, non-MFi, USB DACs (e.g. Centrance DACmini / DACport, Benchmark DAC1-USB, etc.) exactly like the iPad can via the Camera Connection Kit. Any knowledge out there on this? I have searched in vain for a definitive answer.

If the answer is yes then I am also extremely curious to know whether the digital output is capped at 24-bit / 48KHz like previous iPhones or whether it can pass through (again, not decode, just pass through to an external USB DAC) up to 24-bit / 96KHz -- again, exactly like the iPad can via the Camera Connection Kit to USB. (But for now I'd settle for knowing the answer to just the first question!) Thanks.

If it that might kindle a little bit more interest in the iPhone 5 for me. My Galaxy S3 does that (only to 16/48 mind) and it's quite magical simply connecting a USB DAC to it. Someone here must have the equipment to check this stuff, surely?

Sep 25, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #58 of 96
Quote:
Lets take a step back here - are Apple selling a smartphone or a portable music player ?

Yes, I realize Apple IS selling a smartphone. I also realize what kind of forum I'm posting to, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. I tried to emphasize in my post that the sound quality difference between the 4 and the 5 isn't day and night....

Whether SQ from the headphone out is better or worse is likely to impact iPhone sales, IMO,. 

...You really think that?

Meanwhile, over at WhatHifi:
"The iPhone 5 sounds better than ever. How Apple does this, we do not know. It’s incremental but apparent all the same, with extra detail and clarity making tracks even more engaging."
source: www.whathifi.com/review/apple-iphone-5
(part of) iLounge's take:
"Tested with an ultra high-end pair of JH Audio JH16 Pro earphones, the iPhone 5 generally exhibited even better sound quality than the iPhone 4S, with an even lower static floor and slightly enhanced clarity—details that will likely only be noticeable to users of relatively expensive headphones, but are upgrades nonetheless."
source: www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/apple-iphone-5-16gb-32gb-64gb/P2

Mmmmmmkay, let's settle down a little, whathifi and iLounge....

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #59 of 96
Quote:

Yes, I realize Apple IS selling a smartphone. I also realize what kind of forum I'm posting to, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. I tried to emphasize in my post that the sound quality difference between the 4 and the 5 isn't day and night....

...You really think that?

Mmmmmmkay, let's settle down a little, whathifi and iLounge....

I honestly don't think most people will care. Most are use to listening to crap sound as is. What most people want is quantity not quality. More features, faster speed. Music generally will take a back-seat for the majority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back