iPhone 5 as a source
Sep 23, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #31 of 96
I assume lightning cable to USB dac doesn't work, as was the case with other Apple products.. can anyone confirm this?

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #32 of 96
Quote:
 Did you notice any hiss just during the unlocking sequence ? I mean when with iems plugged you slide your finger to unlock...is a burst of hiss till the home screen is loaded ? 

Had that issue with my iPhone 4S since i upgraded to iOS 6. Thus yesterday i got it exchanged for a new unit runnin' iOS 5 and the blackness is the same as usual and that hiss is gone.

Let me try it at work tomorrow (too lazy to do it tonight) and I'll report back.

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #33 of 96
Quote:
True but the fact that you'd be using an ipod or apple product for that matter will be the bigger limiting factor in this situation. For such files there are much better options like the DX100.

Anyways I've been hearing conflicting comments regarding this new iphone5. Some seem to enjoy it more while others are saying its a downgrade from the iphone4 sound quality? I'm wondering if this is due to the phone not being burned in? Or placebo due to being happy with a new toy?

History tells me its the latter, and you've been here long enough to know where I'm coming from.  :wink:

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #35 of 96
What about the features and enhancements? Is it something that is worth the upgrade or no? I'm hearing many are disappointed by the enhancements in comparison to the 4 and 4s (meaning not a huge jump). However I am a believer in burn in myself. Just had too many experiences where it slaps you in the face and isn't subtle. At least not to these ears. Never really noticed much change on the iphone4 though. It got slightly smoother and opened up a bit but nothing like the changes on my Studio V or DX100.

Sep 24, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #37 of 96
Quote:

There is one thing in my little review that I should've said was I haven't critically listened to any digital in a while, so my ears are biased toward analog sound. Also my se215's are mostly used for live sound and live recording so if they are hooked up to anything digital it is digi 002 and digi 003 interfaces with better D/As and running at 24 bit.

Sep 24, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #38 of 96
Quote:
First post on this great forum. I have been lurking around for a bit and found some useful information here and there. I think it is time for me to contribute.

Impressions after two days of use - the iPhone 5 is more mid-centric than the 4/4S. Human voice seems to be a bit more forward but lacks a bit of treble timbre and emotion. Not sure which DAC chip it uses yet.

By the way, the new connection works well with my Fostex HP-P1.

If I remember correctly, DACs only convert fixed point binary to analog. How can they lack emotion? you can ONLY judge DACs based on it's accuracy on music reproduction from your iphone. You can't randomly say some dac's have more emotion. Are you talking about your eq setting by any chance? 

Sep 24, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #40 of 96
Sep 24, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #42 of 96
Quote:
iPhone 5 sounds worse than the 4 or 4S, IMO. There is an emphasis in the mids and bass, but the human voice lacks emotion, and the treble is rolled off. I have had the iPhone 4, Galaxy S, S2, Galaxy Nexus, iPhone 4S, Galaxy S3, and now the iPhone 5. Among these phones, I would probably rank Galaxy S2 as the worst in terms of sound quality, but I think the iPhone 5's sound quality is not far away from the bottom spot. Too bad I don't have the S2 any more for comparison. The Earpods actually sound okay-ish for a bundled earplug, and I think the iPhone 5's sound signature may have been tuned to suit the Earpods - but on my custom IEMs, the sound is not very good, especially on my Westone ES5 which is already a bit mid-centric to begin with. The ES5 sounds wonderful with the iPhone 4.

It would appear that the one phone you haven't owned is the Nokia - allegedly 'the music phone'.  
rolleyes.gif

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #43 of 96
Quote:

iPhone 4 > iPhone 4S > iPhone 5, at this moment.

Hmm, from my own experience 4 and 4s sound about the same (paired with w/ UM2 RC), but the output from 4s is slightly more powerful. I set volume to 4-5 bars on iPhone4 to get comfortable listening volume, while on iPhone4s I only need to set the volume to 3 to reach similar volume. 

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #44 of 96
I think Im gonna keep my Iphone 4 as Music Source until supercurio releases the voodoo sound to the S3.
The only thing that would make me buy an Iphone 5 is the sound quality  improvement over the 4.. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back