iPhone 5 (and new Touch) has totally new dock connector - 'Lightning' - adapters available but no line-out
Sep 21, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #226 of 399
Quote:
I read this yesterday, http://audioboost.net/2012/05/10/ipods-with-wolfson-or-cirrus-logic-audio-chip-which-one-is-better/  and thought it might help some that are confused because of lack of experimenting, etc.

Note: DAC chip details missing for iPod Touch 3G; 4G. Though, I think it's safe to assume they were Cirrus'.

Unless he's heard them all, those are very grandiose generalizations. They don't all even use the same Cirrus or Wolfson chips. A touch 3g LOD out is very smooth open and detialed, hard to beat.

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #227 of 399
If you're into reading tea leaves, consider the following.

(1) Audience, which provided noise-reduction components for prior iPhones, announced a while ago that it is not supplying anything for the iPhone 5.

(2) Cirrus Logic's Q3 earnings forecast was way, way above analysts' expectations.

(3) The chip that iFixit says is the Cirrus Logic audio chip doesn't look much like any standard Cirrus audio codec.

Obviously this is pure speculation on my part, but in my view (1)+(2)+(3)= a custom Cirrus chip including both audio and noise reduction. Which means we may not know for a while which stock Cirrus codec it incorporates, although my bet is that it's based on the 42L73, because that's designed to be a one-chip solution for all of a smartphone's audio needs.

Sep 21, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #229 of 399
What I look forward to is "if" there will be an easy way to get a useable digital signal out of the 5. 

Sep 21, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #230 of 399
Quote:
What I look forward to is "if" there will be an easy way to get a useable digital signal out of the 5. 

This^ is exactly what I am waiting to find out as well.  I will be getting this phone and since it is provided to me free of charge (haha, yeah right now I'm tethered to work...) so I want to find a way to make it work with my e17.  I have an iPod video 5.5g, which I am perfectly happy using line-out on.  However, since that will not be an option with this device, I am really hopeful that I can find a way to get a digital signal out of this thing to feed to my e17.  I am doubtful that it is going to happen, but hey I can have dreams right?  

Sep 21, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #231 of 399
Quote:
I'm going to buy a broken 30gb tomorrow and piece it together with the one I have here. Screw it. I regret trading my 60gb for something but I was like 13, I had no clue... I do hope for everyone else's sake that the iPhone 5 does have a line out and sounds better. My S3 sounds like crap. I should have fixed the broken screen on my iPhone 4 and kept it. At least I have my iPad but I'm not sure it's as good as my iPhone 4 was.

If you're going to buy another device for music then why not just get a USB DAC for using with your S3? A lot more utility in that approach.

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #234 of 399
If you're going to buy another device for music then why not just get a USB DAC for using with your S3? A lot more utility in that approach.

Because it was broken and I have one missing parts, put it together and it cost me $15, that's pretty hard to beat... the guy said it didn't work although it did the diagnostics fine but a part had come off the board so I used my other one which I got for free a while ago.

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #235 of 399
So after reading the link that ShotgunShane posted and finding out the cable has authentication chips in it it's obvious to me the device won't shake hands with anything unless Apple specifically clears it. That's so disappointing, I was hoping with Jobs gone there would be a little more loosening of the hardware to third party accessory manufacturers. I'm hoping I'm wrong in my assumption and over the next few days good news will begin to flow in as far as mobile DAC compatibility is concerned.

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #236 of 399
Quote:

Last comment:  Any speculation that next versions of the iPad (or rumored miniPad) are going to have the lightning connector?  Just wondering...

The iPod Mini will definitely have the new lightning connector, and will be released in time for the holidays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nice, Peter doesn't mess around!

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #237 of 399
Early days yet guys, and I am always wary of day-old impressions, but ...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/628129/iphone-5-audio-quality-with-headphones-is-it-better-than-the-iphone-4s

thin sounding at first but it tone down quickly but still has a digital sound

The above is a stark contrast to the initial (gushing) praise heaped on the 3GS iPhone a couple of years back. As I said, early days, and things might settle down within a week or two, but the above quote summarizes several impressions of the iPhone 5 SQ. Revealing, but 'digital' - as much as I hate to say it, that remains my impression of the 2010 Classic to this day.

Very tempted to get one of the 4th Gen Touch models before they disappear - if I'm reading Wikipedia correctly, even the 8GB would have the internals from the aforementioned iPhone 3GS. I didnt get to hear that model, but enjoyed messing around with an older model Touch. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod#Models

Still, that is the same page which carries this gem:. 

Audio Chip All iPods (except the iPod shuffle, 6G classic and 2G touch)[27] Audio Codecs developed by Wolfson Microelectronics
Sixth-generation iPod classic Cirrus Logic Audio Codec Chip

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #238 of 399
Quote:
Early days yet guys, and I am always wary of day-old impressions, but ...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/628129/iphone-5-audio-quality-with-headphones-is-it-better-than-the-iphone-4s

thin sounding at first but it tone down quickly but still has a digital sound

The above is a stark contrast to the initial (gushing) praise heaped on the 3GS iPhone a couple of years back. As I said, early days, and things might settle down within a week or two, but the above quote summarizes several impressions of the iPhone 5 SQ. Revealing, but 'digital' - as much as I hate to say it, that remains my impression of the 2010 Classic to this day.

Very tempted to get one of the 4th Gen Touch models before they disappear - if I'm reading Wikipedia correctly, even the 8GB would have the internals from the aforementioned iPhone 3GS. I didnt get to hear that model, but enjoyed messing around with an older model Touch. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod#Models

Still, that is the same page which carries this gem:. 

Audio Chip All iPods (except the iPod shuffle, 6G classic and 2G touch)[27] Audio Codecs developed by Wolfson Microelectronics
Sixth-generation iPod classic Cirrus Logic Audio Codec Chip

The 4th-gen Touch does have a Cirrus Logic chip, despite what Wikipedia says.
wink.gif
 I never tried the line-out when I had mine, but the headphone-out sounded good to me.

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #239 of 399
Instead of buying a new iPod Touch, I bought an iPhone 4s 64gb in white.  All the goodies of the new iPod touch except; Smaller screen (and footprint, all good by me smaller rig) 30 pin dock connector (oh YEAH) GPS chip (Now my biking computer apps will actually work, the new iPod Touch doesn't have a GPS chip) A better camera (I don't think I need to explain this one) The ability to activate (it is Verizon, who I happen to be with). All this for $450 used (new 64gb iPod touch is $400, and if bought at the apple store considering tax, I would've paid about the same), great  shape (like new) though squaretrade warranty is gonna be pricy....

Sep 23, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #240 of 399
It's a real head-scratcher to me why the iTouch can't get the good camera. It wouldn't cost Apple much more considering economy of scale and the iTouch would sell better. I guess Apple wants to reward those that are willing to pay $100 a month in a more important and competitive market, but it almost seems like a penalty to iTouch users.

Anyways I did the same thing, except I went for black
biggrin.gif

I won mine for $485 but that was over a month ago, it was perfect, and most importantly factory unlocked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back