iPhone 5 (and new Touch) has totally new dock connector - 'Lightning' - adapters available but no line-out
Sep 20, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #214 of 399
The iPhone 5 looks pretty good, I'm waiting for the reviews to come in, and to find out if there are any hardware/software problems with the phone at all. I still don't know if I should give up my Galaxy Nexus for it though, I use Google maps too often to give it up for Apple's new map app that hasn't had very good feedback so far.

Sep 20, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #215 of 399
Quote:
iFixit has started their teardown:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-5-Teardown/10525/1

It's still a work in progress, but I'm sure they'll be able to tell us what DAC is inside in the iPhone 5 soon enough!

Things are getting exciting. 

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #220 of 399
Quote:
I was just hoping for Wolfson. But hey, still keeping my hopes up for a solid digital out. 

@Jackcell, I hate to say it, but didn't I tell you so ?  
wink.gif

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #221 of 399
Quote:
I was just hoping for Wolfson. But hey, still keeping my hopes up for a solid digital out. 

Why hoping for a Wolfson? I haven't heard a single Wolfson'd cellphone with audio output as good as the 4S (and I've owned several). The Galaxy S with Voodoo Sound is a good match for it, but otherwise...

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #222 of 399
A lot of people prefer the smoother and warmer sound of the wolfson's used in the older ipod's (5.5 and below). I myself find my old nano to have better soundstage depth and is less fatiguing on my ears.

Sep 21, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #224 of 399
A lot of people prefer the smoother and warmer sound of the wolfson's used in the older ipod's (5.5 and below). I myself find my old nano to have better soundstage depth and is less fatiguing on my ears.

I'm going to buy a broken 30gb tomorrow and piece it together with the one I have here. Screw it. I regret trading my 60gb for something but I was like 13, I had no clue... I do hope for everyone else's sake that the iPhone 5 does have a line out and sounds better. My S3 sounds like crap. I should have fixed the broken screen on my iPhone 4 and kept it. At least I have my iPad but I'm not sure it's as good as my iPhone 4 was.

Sep 21, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #225 of 399
I read this yesterday, http://audioboost.net/2012/05/10/ipods-with-wolfson-or-cirrus-logic-audio-chip-which-one-is-better/  and thought it might help some that are confused because of lack of experimenting, etc.

Note: DAC chip details missing for iPod Touch 3G; 4G. Though, I think it's safe to assume they were Cirrus'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back