iPhone 5 (and new Touch) has totally new dock connector - 'Lightning' - adapters available but no line-out
Sep 12, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #49 of 399
The real question is, when will people stop asking for more storage space on their iPhone/iPod touch? As soon as they release one with 128GB capacity, you'll hear people asking for 256GB and 512GB soon after that. Do you really need your entire library with you wherever you go?

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #50 of 399
I doubt I will ever be able to carry my entire library with me. The SDXC specification tops out at 2 Tb.

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #51 of 399
Quote:
The real question is, when will people stop asking for more storage space on their iPhone/iPod touch? As soon as they release one with 128GB capacity, you'll hear people asking for 256GB and 512GB soon after that. Do you really need your entire library with you wherever you go?

Nope.  And 128 isn't really that unreasonable, I don't see why storage capacity can't double every year or so, for me the bigger head scratcher is why the touch isn't at 128 yet.

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #52 of 399
Quote:

"Need" is such an interesting word when applied here. If need really came into the equation this website wouldn't even exist. No no one actually needs that but a lot of people want it (me not included there). Perhaps it would drive the price up so much it would be come unrealistic to put into production or make squillions of dollars out of it?

Personally I would love to see a memory expansion slot (that would stop people caring so much about a 128 gb model). But that will never happen. I shouldn't put ideas into their heads though I guess. They will make a proprietary memory expansion slot and call it iMemory. Or iBrain. And the cards themselves will cost .... A Lot.

I'm a little annoyed at the new proprietary connector. So long as the DIY plugs are available and I can make my own LODs or USB cables for my CLAS I won't care. Be nice if they just used a mini USB connector.

Sorry to sound cynical, but I'm getting old it's my prerogative.

The new phone and ipod look nice though :). I like the expanded battery time. Funny I've never really been bothered by in house connectors and cables and things before. Wonder what sparked me up this time?

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #53 of 399
Hopefully I'm just being alarmist and it will all turn out to be a misunderstanding - think of the millions of consumer-grade iPod docks out there which simply wont work with the new iDevices if they have ditched the analog line-out : makes no sense at all to do that. 
makes perfect sense, about 30 usd per dock times a million worth if sense.
Apple knows once you have your consumer in a metaphorical leash anything is possible! As of now they bring the goods, and rest must adopt accordingly! Looks like a lot of new contracts are needed to be signed simply because of the new dock port, apple will be rolling in cash this year!

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #54 of 399
Having opened up my iPhone 4 and 4S a few times for modes, I can tell you that there's really no space on the logicboard for an expansion (micro sd) slot. The new lightning connection will free up some space compared to the 30-pin, but I'm sure we'll see that Apple's already used up that space as soon as iFixit does their teardown.

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #56 of 399
Hidden in all the iPhone5 hype is the new iPod Nano: Approx. 1.5" X 3" with the new Lightning connector and 16GB. A Lightning to 30 pin adapter cable (approx. 8") is available but is not compatible with iPod Out or video. The new iPod earbuds use the new connector and there is a regular headphone out.

IMO if you have accessories (LOD, DAC, amp, etc.) with your current iPod/iPhone, trading up (?) to new model obsoletes all your expensive toys. At least until the aftermarket responds.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #57 of 399
Sep 13, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #59 of 399
It's retractable.

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #60 of 399
Well, it seems one LOD supplier has added their expert opinion.  David Maudlin CEO of ALO has noted in his blog that analog out from the new ipods and iphone is a non-starter.   The good news is that the ALO Solo will be able accept input from the new ipods.

Yes, it seems we are again at a crossroads.  For many who are on a budget and cannot afford to go digital from an ipod to a device like the Solo, we may be indeed buying an older ipod like expatinjapan suggest and running it with the antique 30 pin LOD into an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back