iPhone 5 (and new Touch) has totally new dock connector - 'Lightning' - adapters available but no line-out
Sep 13, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #61 of 399
Quote:
I see you mentioned the Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo, the "CLAS" as some call it.

Do check out my blog on the topic of the Lightning connector at http://cypherlabs.com/blog/post/apple-lighting-what-it-means-for-audiophiles

Come see us at RMAF 2012!!

Thanks,

David Maudlin, CEO
Cypher Labs

Thanks for that, David - I raised the issue of the lightning connector with ALO's Ken Ball in the Sponsors forum and his suggestion mirrors yours - no surprises, I guess, but I cant blame Ken and many other manufacturers for feeling ticked off with Apple's approach to this change. Hardcore audiophiles aside, I cant believe they have obsoleted so many docks - bizarre behaviour from the company which once prided itself on its user community. Shades of their decision to stop dropping optical drives from various Mac computers. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #62 of 399
My mistake, not retractable, but removable.

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #63 of 399
Quote:

Thanks for that, David - I raised the issue of the lightning connector with ALO's Ken Ball in the Sponsors forum and his suggestion mirrors yours - no surprises, I guess, but I cant blame Ken and many other manufacturers for feeling ticked off with Apple's approach to this change. Hardcore audiophiles aside, I cant believe they have obsoleted so many docks - bizarre behaviour from the company which once prided itself on its user community. Shades of their decision to stop dropping optical drives from various Mac computers. 

Apple is a strong company and one which is, as others, all about shareholder value.  It makes perfect sense to obsolete a connector they came up with about a decade ago to forge ahead with "their" idea of the future.  Then again, they believe everyone should download aac lossy files to their devices.

As for the optical drive note, I think it was a good move since my Apple optical drive lasted less than a year in my Macbook before it started having "issues".

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #64 of 399
Quote:
Please post a photo of Win7 running on your 'gazillion year old' computer. I'm not even sure you were around when the x86 series ruled the desktop.  
rolleyes.gif

well, it definitely wont run. but a 3-5 year old mac that cant run at least a lion OS even if it can handle the specs? thats ridiculous. like you
wink_face.gif

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #65 of 399
Quote:
Well, it seems one LOD supplier has added their expert opinion.  David Maudlin CEO of ALO has noted in his blog that analog out from the new ipods and iphone is a non-starter.   The good news is that the ALO Solo will be able accept input from the new ipods.

Yes, it seems we are again at a crossroads.  For many who are on a budget and cannot afford to go digital from an ipod to a device like the Solo, we may be indeed buying an older ipod like expatinjapan suggest and running it with the antique 30 pin LOD into an amp.

So this may bump up sales of the Classic...

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #67 of 399
Quote:
Oh well, I`d better buy another used ipod touch 4G as a future proof back up for my fostex hp_p1.

Quote:
I'm confused please elaborate on what you mean about the classic???????????????????????????

I think you may have confused expat's post about the ipod touch.  Me, I am scouting ipod touch 2nd gens real time.

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #68 of 399
Quote:
I'm confused please elaborate on what you mean about the classic???????????????????????????

Ipod classic is about the only unit with uses the now antinque 32 pin. Meaning a lot of people will rush to buy that so they can still use their expensive (now somewhat outdated ) LOD! 

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #69 of 399
Quote:
Ipod classic is about the only unit with uses the now antinque 32 pin. Meaning a lot of people will rush to buy that so they can still use their expensive (now somewhat outdated ) LOD! 

huh?  32 pin?  I  meant 30 pin as in use on the touch and nano.  sorry for the confusion.  The LODs used on many ipods has varied in configuration form older models to new ones.  Many older LODs that did work on older hard drive based ipods did not work on newer nanos and touches not because of number of pinouts but because of a resistor required for the new ones.  At least that was the way it was when I went from a hard drive based ipod to a new nano and touch.  The actual number of pins required to get the line out was just a few of the 30 or so in the standard connector.

And FYI the word highlighted in blue in my post was "antique"  with tongue planted firmly in cheek LOL

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #70 of 399
Not just the Classic - Apple have ensured that any runout stock of older iPods in reseller stores will disappear quickly, although I'm basing that on the ASSUMPTION that Joe Public will grasp what the change means for his nephew's spanking new iPod dock. I'm of the opinion that Apple and companies like Samsung (cruel, but I cant help myself) will be dealing with some irate folk in the coming months. 

Sadly, iPod docks aren't restricted to K-Mart specials from Sony etc - I know several of the audiophile docks have migrated to the digital stream (Peachtree, for one), but older docks will sit idle from the moment you insert one of the new iDevices into their cradle. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #71 of 399
Unfortunately it seems that on September 12th 2012 Apple ditched the line out from their idevices.

That's a very bad day for users who liked to amp their idevices and for those of us who believe that it's better a good internal dac than a usb dac (which has reclocking shortcomings). Not to mention for users that own a few speakerd docks.

Thus on September 13th i have a strong feeling that my days as an idevice user are coming to an end and when i think that one of the stronger selling point for iphones (that was the ubiquitous line out port) is gone i get goosebumps.

When Steve Jobs passed away i was sure that Apple could not keep up but i didn't think that they were dropping the ball that fast.

Sad

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #72 of 399
Quote:

Scratch 'somewhat outdated', please - the correct terminology is 'completely obsolete', just like the Wolfson DAC in early iPods. Doesn't mean folk will simply throw their older iPods away, but 'end-of-life' is exactly that from a manufacturing POV. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #73 of 399
Quote:
Unfortunately it seems that on September 12th 2012 Apple ditched the line out from their idevices.

That's a very bad day for users who liked to amp their idevices and for those of us who believe that it's better a good internal dac than a usb dac (which has reclocking shortcomings). Not to mention for users that own a few speakerd docks.

Thus on September 13th i have a strong feeling that my days as an idevice user are coming to an end and when i think that one of the stronger selling point for iphones (that was the ubiquitous line out port) is gone i get goosebumps.

When Steve Jobs passed away i was sure that Apple could not keep up but i didn't think that they were dropping the ball that fast.

Sad

>drop the ball that fast

Really? this is what you say to the march of progress. They couldnt continue to make the phone smaller and thinner, like everyone wants, without making a new dock connector, one that was considerably smaller than the old version. So its fine for you to say that for you, this is a negative, and that you might not buy one. But to say that they dropped the ball is a bit ridiculous.

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #74 of 399
To put in simple terms, New connection=new contract with apple to make third party accessories for it. $$$

The only thing that got me interest is the new ipod nano, used as "not carrying at all" DAP.

PS:On the other hand I have been speaking with the phillips rep and asked them if they are planning to make a fidelo series DAP, something which 24/96 support, and I told them to refer to headfi to see the demand for such units. The person replied back to me with enthusiasm. Fingers crossed this might push philips to add a fidelo DAP to an already successful brand. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #75 of 399
Quote:
>drop the ball that fast

Really? this is what you say to the march of progress. They couldnt continue to make the phone smaller and thinner, like everyone wants, without making a new dock connector, one that was considerably smaller than the old version. So its fine for you to say that for you, this is a negative, and that you might not buy one. But to say that they dropped the ball is a bit ridiculous.

Well i might be ridiculous after all. But line out for me was a key point to the whole idevices musical ubiquity.

And music brought Apple to where it's at today. So in that area they have dropped the ball in my view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back