iPhone 5 (and new Touch) has totally new dock connector - 'Lightning' - adapters available but no line-out
Sep 12, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #16 of 399
I'm very happy the headphone jack will be at the bottom. When I put my phone in my pocket, I put it in head first so when I pull it out, it will be ready to use. That little flipping motion, plus having a cable jabbing out (especially on the train) gets in the way. The bottom is the best way to have it in a city. If I were just in the town or in the country, I may not care so much, but Tokyo necessitates clean, tight designs. Strange that Japanese companies don't think of that and make big, ugly, and overcomplicated stuff.

Quote:
Cant say I like the look of this pre-release photo - unlike the image above, it has the headphone jack at the bottom of the iPhone :

Commonsense dictates that you wont be listening via the headphone-out with your LOD/CLAS etc connected, but I don't see what the problem was with having the headphone out at the top of the phone. Much easier to listen with the thing on Shuffle in a pocket/satchel etc. Presumably Apple will make the same changes to the next generation of the Touch - no idea what they will do with the other models but ditching the 30-pin connector is reportedly due to the number of obsolete pins in the old connector. 

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #17 of 399
I can't remember where, but I saw an adapter that had the new dock connector, and an 1/8" trs coming out of it.  To me that means they're ditching the lineout pins, which is a shame, but it does become a good excuse to buy a portable dac.

Edit, found the picture:

It kind of makes sense as to why they would move the headphone jack to the bottom.

Maybe they moved it to the bottom because they figured holding the bottom of the phone to your mouth with headphones plugged in at the top was a bad idea. It looks just plain weird if you ask me.
Ironically I can't find any pictures of that on Google Images.

And let me guess, that adaptor is going to be sold at $29?

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #19 of 399
Quote:
Please post a photo of Win7 running on your 'gazillion year old' computer. I'm not even sure you were around when the x86 series ruled the desktop.  
rolleyes.gif

x86? That is not old enough...

go back to 8086, the precursor to the x86 (286, 386, 486, 486 DX2 etc) :wink: 640k of ram in DOS. trying to boot games to make them work. IRQ and DMA fighting. ahh the good ole days. lol

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #20 of 399
I really hope the change to the ipod range is a positive one. I really dont care about the phone, my interest is completely on the ipod range. 

Sep 12, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #23 of 399
Copy of my post from another thread.
So the infos out on it.  It's say all digital, so no direct LOD.  But there is a 30 pin adaptor, which probably contains a cheap DAC, which means, that it will be likely that Iphone compatible DACs from 3rd Party's are very possible.

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #24 of 399
I was hoping for a 128 GB model.  Why change the pin configuration.  That's hardly innovative.

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #25 of 399
Quote:
Copy of my post from another thread.
So the infos out on it.  It's say all digital, so no direct LOD.  But there is a 30 pin adaptor, which probably contains a cheap DAC, which means, that it will be likely that Iphone compatible DACs from 3rd Party's are very possible.

Very interresting indeed. All digital out...hmmm... no more Lineout but better ways to feed external DACs.

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #28 of 399
Quote:

ummmm.. old dock pin configuration vs new pin configuration not innovative?

B/c it is not backward compatible with the previous generation accessories unless you purchase an conversion adapter.

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #29 of 399
Are the potential new ipod owners who use a LOD and external amp out of luck?

It seems unclear as to whether the new ipod adapter will allow the new ipods to connect via an analog line out from the old 30 pin dock connector to your portable amp using a legacy LOD.

This description from the Apple store has me concerned "This adapter lets you connect devices with a Lightning connector to many of your 30-pin accessories.* Video and iPod Out not supported."

Does anyone have a friend at Apple who can clarify?  

The new Nano looks great BTW.

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #30 of 399
Quote:
Are the potential new ipod owners who use a LOD and external amp out of luck?

It seems unclear as to whether the new ipod adapter will allow the new ipods to connect via an analog line out from the old 30 pin dock connector to your portable amp using a legacy LOD.

This description from the Apple store has me concerned "This adapter lets you connect devices with a Lightning connector to many of your 30-pin accessories.* Video and iPod Out not supported."

Does anyone have a friend at Apple who can clarify?  

The new Nano looks great BTW.

I'd say its safe to assume that they'd have to depend on the DAC in the lightning-to-30 pin adapter to give them line-out. The question is, what DAC is Apple using in the adapter and is it subject to change as time progresses (i.e. they use a better or worse DAC in the future).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back