iPhone 5 (and new Touch) has totally new dock connector - 'Lightning' - adapters available but no line-out
Sep 12, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #31 of 399
Quote:

I'd say its safe to assume that they'd have to depend on the DAC in the lightning-to-30 pin adapter to give them line-out. The question is, what DAC is Apple using in the adapter and is it subject to change as time progresses (i.e. they use a better or worse DAC in the future).

Well

reading the apple site.

I don;t think there is a DAC in the convertor. Hence no support for Line-Out OR video out which means it is a pure Digital Signal.

Will need an external DAC of sort.

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #32 of 399
Quote:
Well

reading the apple site.

I don;t think there is a DAC in the convertor. Hence no support for Line-Out OR video out which means it is a pure Digital Signal.

Will need an external DAC of sort.

So could you use a non-extremely expensive DAC (like a Fiio e17) to bypass the internal DAC now, or will it still be encrypted?

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #34 of 399
Quote:

I'd say its safe to assume that they'd have to depend on the DAC in the lightning-to-30 pin adapter to give them line-out. The question is, what DAC is Apple using in the adapter and is it subject to change as time progresses (i.e. they use a better or worse DAC in the future).

Where did you read there is a dac in the adapter?  I just read that the lightning port was all digital and adaptive.  But I did watch Phil Schiller describe the new connector on a video of the event and his last example was using the new adapter to allow you connect an new iphone or ipod to your car stereo with your legacy 30 pin cable.  So it looks as if they will have some way to get line out.

also, just heard back from ALO and they will be blogging about the connection methods with a normal external amp and their Solo later tonight.

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #36 of 399
Quote:
Where did you read there is a dac in the adapter?  I just read that the lightning port was all digital and adaptive.  But I did watch Phil Schiller describe the new connector on a video of the event and his last example was using the new adapter to allow you connect an new iphone or ipod to your car stereo with your legacy 30 pin cable.  So it looks as if they will have some way to get line out.

also, just heard back from ALO and they will be blogging about the connection methods with a normal external amp and their Solo later tonight.

Do you have a link to the video, I tried searching around, but there's so many videos of today's event, it's hard to find which one.

BUT without seeing the video, them plugging into a car stereo is probably still just going through usb, and the head unit is using it as a usb drive.

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #37 of 399
Quote:

Do you have a link to the video, I tried searching around, but there's so many videos of today's event, it's hard to find which one.

BUT without seeing the video, them plugging into a car stereo is probably still just going through usb, and the head unit is using it as a usb drive.

That could well be what he was referring to.  I am on hold with Apple (2nd person) and waiting for the gurus to give me an answer.

Here is the link, FWIW:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57511581-37/apple-iphone-5-gives-the-world-a-new-connector-lightning/

scroll down a bit for the vid.

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #38 of 399
Quote:
That could well be what he was referring to.  I am on hold with Apple (2nd person) and waiting for the gurus to give me an answer.

Here is the link, FWIW:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57511581-37/apple-iphone-5-gives-the-world-a-new-connector-lightning/

scroll down a bit for the vid.

Well the gurus have spoken for now.  The response I got from Apple is it is impossible to tell for now whether the accessory will work with the lightning port and adapter.  I'm thinking it is probably less likely that an analog signal can be obtained via the lightning port and adapter without some sort of 3rd party decoder or something.  Let's wait a bit and see what ALO has to say and whoever else can chime in.

Maybe one of the early iphone 5 adopters can give us the definitive answer in the coming weeks.

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #39 of 399
I still haven't seen a single word from LOD makers re the Lightning connector or the possibility of using their existing LOD cables with the adapter - if the analog line-out function has been completely removed, as mentioned earlier in this thread, then its GAME OVER

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter

From iPhone 5, 5th Gen Touch and 7th Gen Nano, and presumably all future iDevices, you can throw your 200 dollar LOD cable in the closet, assuming it isnt a case of a firmware update to re-enable the line-out. Way to consult with customers and 3rd Party manufacturers, Apple. No idea if this impacts the CLAS/Fostex/Pure products, as they take the digital stream. Anyone ? 

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #40 of 399
ok, so yeah to me that is just using the iphone as a usb drive.  But the way he worded how the adapters will allow you to use your old devices leads me to believe there is some sort of line out capability there, whether or not he intended such implication is yet to be seen.  I use an ihome radio at work, so I wonder if I'll be able to use it if I ever decide to get an iphone 5 or a new touch...

Something else I noticed in their wording, they're saying 8 signal, not 8 pin (well it has 8 pins, but that's not what they said..), so what are these signals?

1. USB
2. Thunderbolt
3. HDMI
4. ??
5. ??
6. ??
7. ??
8. S/Pdif???  HA!  Yeah right...  dreams...  (even though it would probably be wicked easy)

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #41 of 399
I just submitted a question to the adapters product page, I wonder if I'll hear a response...

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #42 of 399
Hopefully I'm just being alarmist and it will all turn out to be a misunderstanding - think of the millions of consumer-grade iPod docks out there which simply wont work with the new iDevices if they have ditched the analog line-out : makes no sense at all to do that. 

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #43 of 399
Bad day for those of us who are impatiently waiting for the introduction of the Audioquest Hummingbird in Q1 of next year.  Do they build it with a Lightning connector, and require an adaptor for use with iPads, or build it with a legacy 30-pin connector and require an adaptor for use with iPhone and iPod Touch?

Add me to the list of people who are disappointed that there is no 128 gig iPhone or iPod Touch.

FWIW, Scosche has a full line of iPhone 5 cases on its website, so I think Apple kept the aftermarket in the loop during the development process.  I'm willing to bet that ALO will have Lightning LODs and Lightning-to-USB cables for the Solo by the time the first iPhone 5 ships on 9/21.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back