iPhone 5 (and new Touch) has totally new dock connector - 'Lightning' - adapters available but no line-out
Oct 23, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #361 of 399
Quote:
Decided to by the new nano. Soudwise it is as good as the sansa clip+ (paired with xba-4). The preset EQ do work, however navigation with one hand is a joke. I still dont know who decided to remove physical buttons from devices of such size.

Yea so my advice is buy clip+, the extra 135+ will not give you an upgrade in sound. Anyways I took one for the team, I dont know how much my works mean to you guys. 

Thanks for the feedback - its all grist for the mill. Most here are fairly well entrenched in one of two camps - either willing to consider an iDevice or so passionately anti-Apple that its wise not to wake them  :wink:

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #362 of 399
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback - its all grist for the mill. Most here are fairly well entrenched in one of two camps - either willing to consider an iDevice or so passionately anti-Apple that its wise not to wake them  :wink:

I have the ipod with the wolfson DAC and I honestly do not know why it was praised so highly.

I dont mind the nano, it makes a good stop watch and decent FM radio, but honestly I got 'lucky'. I wanted to buy the 64 GB ipod touch from dick smith but they said "they dont have any of the new ipod in stock", I know they were lying because stocking your devices in display cabinet and just turning them around so the back side of the case is showing is not a great way to hide your products. They kept insisting that I buy the older model, I refused went to JB hifi and ask my mate to give me a discount on the nano instead.

If the nano had physical button I would actually find it decent, the lack of physical button (ignoring the price) is what annoys me greatly.

Wishing for the days that walkman comes to its sense and sell its new product in Oz :wink:

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #364 of 399
But the new Nano has all the physical buttons you could need.

Also, it's the first iPod I've had - apart from the Shuffle - that can be operated entirely blindly... Using voiceover I can browse all my playlists/folders using just the buttons on the Nano or those on my Klipsch iems; I can pick it up and use it without bothering to turn the screen on.

For physical controls it's better than a Clip+.

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #365 of 399
Quote:
now I remembered why I hardly used my ipod video, itune sucks. 

Why? Is it because it is the most polished, easy to use media player?
In 6 years all the different versions, iTunes itself has never crashed! Any time I want to have the song/file I just do a simple search and its there to do with whatever I wish.

Drag and drop is good, but importing it to iTunes which takes 20 seconds more including transposing if need be, gives much more control over what you can access for that tune.

In case I don't get what you mean, why don't you give us your reasons why 'iTunes sucks'

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #366 of 399
Quote:
Why? Is it because it is the most polished, easy to use media player?
In 6 years all the different versions, iTunes itself has never crashed! Any time I want to have the song/file I just do a simple search and its there to do with whatever I wish.

Drag and drop is good, but importing it to iTunes which takes 20 seconds more including transposing if need be, gives much more control over what you can access for that tune.

In case I don't get what you mean, why don't you give us your reasons why 'iTunes sucks'

Are you using iTunes on Windows or a Mac ? Its far better on Apple devices. The cynics argue that Apple deliberately crippled it on Windows, but that makes no sense - surely the aim is to lock people into the Apple universe ? Several of my main objections to iTunes - DRM and the continual attempts to redirect users to the Apple Store - arent as trenchant as they were in previous versions of the software, but I far prefer to be able to drag and drop music from a file manager, be it Windows or Linux. I'm happy with the default 256K AAC downloads now, but I still have older downloads that were only 128K - bloody arrogant of Apple to settle on such a low bitrate even if AAC is a technically superior compression standard. 

My biggest single objection to iTunes is that it's Apple's toy - if they want to force every iDevice owner on the planet to de-authorize their existing computers and re-authorize, they can. On the upside, they will let me download all my old purchases again. Swings and roundabouts, I guess.  

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #367 of 399
sorry - I've probably missed it in the thread

but now the new Ipad mini and the new 4th gen Ipad has the new dock connector

can you still use DACs with them via camera connector - or better off going for 3rd gen while they are still available?

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #368 of 399
Quote:

Are you using iTunes on Windows or a Mac ? Its far better on Apple devices. The cynics argue that Apple deliberately crippled it on Windows, but that makes no sense - surely the aim is to lock people into the Apple universe ? Several of my main objections to iTunes - DRM and the continual attempts to redirect users to the Apple Store - arent as trenchant as they were in previous versions of the software, but I far prefer to be able to drag and drop music from a file manager, be it Windows or Linux. I'm happy with the default 256K AAC downloads now, but I still have older downloads that were only 128K - bloody arrogant of Apple to settle on such a low bitrate even if AAC is a technically superior compression standard. 

My biggest single objection to iTunes is that it's Apple's toy - if they want to force every iDevice owner on the planet to de-authorize their existing computers and re-authorize, they can. On the upside, they will let me download all my old purchases again. Swings and roundabouts, I guess.  

Yes on MACs. I changed Dec 06' Right before I had the latest and greatest Alienware model and it was a horror story. I do think I had iPods before that but honestly
I try to forget TTBM and TTOHW (the Time Before MAC and The time Of The Horrid Windows) LOL

You know, I have Parallels and XP installed on the MACs I'm going to download iTunes to see how difficult it is. They make software to run on Windows and if they deliberately made it run bad on Windows that would not be good. I do not think it would be a wise business decision on Apple's part as you point out, therefore I think it is conspiracy theory rubbish.

BTW, I just re-ripped about 300 Cd's into ALAC. It really makes a difference on how they sound. Its worth to do.

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #369 of 399
I've used iTunes on my Windows pc since it came out and before I had an iPod. For what I want in a player and media manager app it works perfect and exactly how I want such a program to work. Don't confuse the iTunes application with the iTunes music store.

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #370 of 399
sorry - I've probably missed it in the thread

but now the new Ipad mini and the new 4th gen Ipad has the new dock connector

can you still use DACs with them via camera connector - or better off going for 3rd gen while they are still available?

I have not sern this mentioned anywhere but you would at least need the Lightning adapter plus the cck as the cck has the 30 pin plug.

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #371 of 399
Quote:
BTW, I just re-ripped about 300 Cd's into ALAC. It really makes a difference on how they sound. Its worth to do.

I used dbPoweramp to convert my FLAC collection into ALAC - it preserved my metadata and iTunes gave me my album art. Not quite as obsessed with album art as some on Head-Fi. but its nice to have the pretty pictures. File sizes between FLAC and ALAC appear to be identical, and I cant detect any difference in sound quality - makes sense given that both will decompress to the original WAV anyway, assuming the original FLAC version was ripped correctly.

http://blowfish.be/eac/Setup/setup4.html

Of course, those who are happy to remain in the Apple Universe dont need any of the above.  
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #372 of 399
Quote:

I used dbPoweramp to convert my FLAC collection into ALAC - it preserved my metadata and iTunes gave me my album art. Not quite as obsessed with album art as some on Head-Fi. but its nice to have the pretty pictures. File sizes between FLAC and ALAC appear to be identical, and I cant detect any difference in sound quality - makes sense given that both will decompress to the original WAV anyway, assuming the original FLAC version was ripped correctly.

Of course, those who are happy to remain in the Apple Universe dont need any of the above.  
biggrin.gif

I had the majority of my music in MP3 128.....so to rip into Lossless really made a difference in sound.

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #373 of 399
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Now wait one damned minute. Converting FLAC to ALAC using Foobar2k creates significantly varying file sizes for me. They sound the same to my ears but I'm looking at a 20-odd MB difference between FLAC and ALAC versions of Mike Dawes' "The Impossible", 1MB difference between versions of Atomic Tom's "This Is How We Like To End" (with ALAC being larger), and less than 200KB difference between FLAC and ALAC versions of Crossfade's "Breathing Slowly". Am I doing something wrong?

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #374 of 399
Nothing wrong. They are 2 different algorithms so you would expect differences but both are lossless. Flac in itself can compress at different levels so will result in different file sizes. Just like zip and arj archive files will be of different sizes (and zip files have different compression levels) but they will all uncompress to the original files.

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #375 of 399
Quote:

Am I doing something wrong?

Possibly, but I dont have one damned minute to investigate further. 
evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, you are free to download dbPoweramp and use it for 21 days - try doing the conversion with that software and compare your filesizes. I admit that I only took a quick glance at a couple of my files, so I may have spoken too soon - I will check it out again tonite and report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back