iPhone 5 (and new Touch) has totally new dock connector - 'Lightning' - adapters available but no line-out
Oct 13, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #331 of 399
Quote:
Wait a minute, I get the the new adapter can be used for iPod docks that uses analog output of the iPod, but what about the more expensive (better) ones like Monitor Audio, that extracts the audio digitally from the iPod, how is this possible with the new iPhone or the new iPod Touch when using the adapter, since the adapter is analog audio only?

Just got my adapter.  I can confirm it will run a digital signal to docks.  I am currently listening to my iPhone 5 > Wadia 170i.  I will test it with my pure i20 later...

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #332 of 399
Quote:
Just got my adapter.  I can confirm it will run a digital signal to docks.  I am currently listening to my iPhone 5 > Wadia 170i.  I will test it with my pure i20 later...

Thanks Pelli - it only took us 23 pages, but we got there in the end. Look forward to your feedback on the Pure i-20. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #333 of 399
That adapter is going to look slightly skewed on the new ipod nanos (the lightning dock is not centered).

*I am curious about the sound though and future measurements.

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #334 of 399
Quote:
 Look forward to your feedback on the Pure i-20. 

No bugs with the pure i20 either!

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #335 of 399
Excellent news - I can die happy on Dec 21 ! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #336 of 399
Oct 15, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #338 of 399
Oh ok I see now lol. I'd kinda forgotten about that lol. I thought you were talking about some new product that was coming out on Dec 21st or something lmao.

Oct 15, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #340 of 399
Quote:
same here, but i doubt anything will happen tho, we will see, ill be blasting music from the 90s, to keep in mind how crazzy the y2k was

I worked on code fixes for Y2K - we started in 1998 - trust me when I tell you that it wasnt ALL hype. Our code was written in a relatively modern 4GL language (less code to do the same job as earlier languages) and had been built around the distinct possibility that we would need 4-digit years, but the testing was the important part - the banks have millions billions of lines of COBOL that form the basis of our financial system here in Oz - a lot of it written back in the day when memory was expensive and 'saving' two digits was a big deal. A code monkey in 1975 had a lot more to worry about than the distant possibility that his code would still be running in 1999 - turns out he was wrong. 

FWIW. we also tested the code against this little gem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

Even at the consumer level. many of us are running 64-bit operating systems now, but 32-bit was still very common in commercial Unix boxes 12-13 years ago.  

Oct 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #341 of 399
Quote:

I worked on code fixes for Y2K - we started in 1998 - trust me when I tell you that it wasnt ALL hype. Our code was written in a relatively modern 4GL language (less code to do the same job as earlier languages) and had been built around the distinct possibility that we would need 4-digit years, but the testing was the important part - the banks have millions billions of lines of COBOL that form the basis of our financial system here in Oz - a lot of it written back in the day when memory was expensive and 'saving' two digits was a big deal. A code monkey in 1975 had a lot more to worry about than the distant possibility that his code would still be running in 1999 - turns out he was wrong. 

FWIW. we also tested the code against this little gem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

Even at the consumer level. many of us are running 64-bit operating systems now, but 32-bit was still very common in commercial Unix boxes 12-13 years ago.  

this seems like a nightmare- quote from wiki: There is no universal solution for the Year 2038 problem.

getting back on topic, has anyone seen the new ipod touch 5g in store- future shop, best buy, or apple?
i know they're shipping but am wishing i can get them in store instead of deal with the hassle of shipping companies

Oct 16, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #342 of 399
I tried the new ipod touch in store tonight.

I ab`d it with the headphone out of an iphone 4 (my ipod touch 4G was in my bag but I was too lazy to take it out)

My thoughts, I liked it very much, quite lush. I listened to Norah Jones on both devices. Nice bass and mids - my kinda thing.

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #343 of 399
Quote:
I tried the new ipod touch in store tonight.

I ab`d it with the headphone out of an iphone 4 (my ipod touch 4G was in my bag but I was too lazy to take it out)

My thoughts, I liked it very much, quite lush. I listened to Norah Jones on both devices. Nice bass and mids - my kinda thing.

Thus it's as promising as the measurements that lnks posted around here showed.

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #345 of 399
http://www.macworld.com/article/2012137/hands-on-with-apples-lightning-to-30-pin-adapters.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back