iPhone 5 (and new Touch) has totally new dock connector - 'Lightning' - adapters available but no line-out
Oct 23, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #376 of 399
Quote:

Possibly, but I dont have one damned minute to investigate further. 
evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, you are free to download dbPoweramp and use it for 21 days - try doing the conversion with that software and compare your filesizes. I admit that I only took a quick glance at a couple of my files, so I may have spoken too soon - I will check it out again tonite and report back.

I used dbPoweramp back in the day and it worked well.

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #378 of 399
i use poweramp and its pretty quick since it uses multi core processing
for me, 4 x 30mb files take less than 30 seconds to convert from flac to alac (quad core computer)
esay to use however ive noticed that file size is around the same 

Nov 7, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #379 of 399
FWIW, I can confirm that my Pure i-20 dock works with the lightning-to-30pin adapter and my iPhone 5 not just for playing digital audio via the Pure's built-in DAC, but also as a digital transport passing the iPhone's digital audio to another external DAC. Specifically, it's able to pass a digital signal via Toslink optical cable to my CEntrance DACmini.

I would really like to confirm:

(1) whether the Pure i20 (and/or any other external DAC) is still receiving bit-perfect digital audio from the iPhone 5 (i.e., full resolution even with 48khz/24-bit ALAC files); and

(2) whether the Pure i20 is capable -- both as a digital transport to another external DAC and/or via its own internal DAC -- of extracting and playing bit-perfect lossless audio files that are greater than 48khz/24-bit. I realize 96/24 files can't be loaded onto the iPhone itself, but it is possible to play these files over WiFi via iTunes Home Sharing from iTunes running on another computer (or, with 3rd-party apps, from a NAS or other server via a DLNA stream), and I'd like to know whether those ultra hi-res files will pass through at full resolution to external DACs (like the i20) if they are bypassing the iPhone's DAC completely, or will the iPhone first intercept and resample their resolution down to 48/24 before passing it on to the i20. (Note: I'm also aware this is already possible from an iPad via the Camera Connection Kit (or the new Lightning-to-USB Camera Adapter, I assume) to external USB DACs, but the Pure i-20 and other DACs/transports with 30-pin connectors have been the only way to extract digital audio from an iPhone because the CCK only works with iPads. I'm asking whether this can still be done in bit-perfect fashion and with 96khz files from an iPhone 5.)

Thanks!

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #380 of 399
I'd be interested to know the answer to this as well.  I was under the impression that the iPhone and iPods truncated any 24-bit samples to 16-bit.  I know they will play a 24-bit file, but are you certain it is bit perfect?

I asked this question about my HRT iStreamer DAC, but it was ignored by customer support.  Are we seeing 24-bits to our DAC's, or is the iDevice truncating the sample to 16-bit internally before passing along the digital signal?

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #381 of 399
I would be really surprised if the Pure i-20 were receiving only a truncated 16-bit stream from the iPhone because Pure advertises the DAC as capable of 24-bit, and the only way to get audio data to the unit in the first place is via the 30-pin connector. So if iOS devices can't or won't pass 24-bit audio data via the 30-pin (or now lightning) port in any event, then Pure would be completely misrepresenting their product. But I'm sure that's not right, I think I read a lot of posts almost a year ago confirming that it receives full 24bit audio.

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #382 of 399
iDevices at least up to and including iPhone4 and iOs5 and anything of the same age do not support above 16/48. Anything above that gets truncated before being sent out even though higher res files could be played. This was confirmed by Dan Lehrer who wrote the FlacPlayer app. What iOs6 or the latest generation devices can do I dont know

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #383 of 399
Quote:
The real question is, when will people stop asking for more storage space on their iPhone/iPod touch? As soon as they release one with 128GB capacity, you'll hear people asking for 256GB and 512GB soon after that. Do you really need your entire library with you wherever you go?

This may be a bit old, but I saw this and it irked me.  Please do not make your opinions someone else's unreasonable request. :p  Let me explain...

I want a minimum of a 128gb ipod touch.  That is not unreasonable and pretty frankly should have happened by now.  Every ipod for the longest time DOUBLED in size with every iteration until the touch came out.  They doubled it once or twice and then release 3 or 4 complete iterations without changing the same AT ALL.  I'm sorry, but more people are downloading more apps, more music, more videos, more games.  These take up valuable space.  The touch is supposed to be a one device does it all solution.  Well, my music library isn't as big as some, but I have over 1000 CDs.  I can hear the difference between lossless and 230AAC.  It isn't large, and I don't always "notice it", but I can tell double blind tested.

I personally want lossless on my portable device.  O.k., so let's take your theory and get an ipod classic.  Not enough space.  160GB?  Too small.  So, not matter what I do, I need to either cut a serious amount of albums out of my device or use compression.  I opted for compression, because the difference in quality is less irritating than me wanting to listen to something and not having it.  That leads me to music listening preferences.

I personally listen to what I want to hear at that moment.  I rarely do "browsing" or random listening.  I know what I want to hear and I pick it out and play it.  I might want to listen to Dream Theater and then relax to some George Winston.  There is no easy way to know what I'm going to want to hear.  As it is with the iPod touch, i ALREADY have run into MANY times where I though "I really want to listen to such-and-such" and I scrolled through only to find it was an album I had to chop off my list because of space limitations.  Not to mention I'm not using 320AAC, I'm using 256AAC.  I will never go lower than that.  I can already tell the difference, but 128AAC is noticeably less quality in most situations.

So, with 128GB ipod I can ALMOST fit all of my music on my iPod using compression.  So picking a few albums to drop wouldn't be THAT bad.  But then as I purchase new CDs I need to decide which albums to cut out to put the new CD on.  This gets old fast, but again, it wouldn't be as bad with 128GB.  Now using my iPod touch, about 98% is filled with music.  I don't mind that, as it is primarily my music device, however I use the camera as well to make video reviews for youtube.  Every time I have to do this I need to remove about 30 CDs of music to make space for a short review video.  Then I have to wait a long time to sync the music back up using the on-the-fly conversion in iTunes, which I need to use, otherwise I need to keep two libraries or sets of music (which I used to do) and that takes way too much time to not be worth it anymore now that they have 256 on-the-fly, which will suffice for now.

Then I use apps for financial tracking, voice memos, gotta have angry birds :wink:, writing, utilities, etc.  These all take space. Every time I find a game or app I want to try I need to remove at least 3 or 4 CDs to make space, because my iPod is full and syncing doesn't work well with the iPods when it is at or near capacity.  Keep in mind the iPod touch is NOT 64GB.  It is about 57GB useable.  But that leaves about 55 for music, but no wait, it doesn't sync well with less than 1GB free, so that really only leaves 54GB.  10GB?  That's a lot of music I had to cut out after expecting at least 60-something GB.  So, let's just assume I didn't fill it with music.  I don't have any videos on my iPod.  Videos can be a few GB EACH.  I don't have a lot of games other than angry birds.  Some games take up a GB now or more.  Most good games are at least a few hundred MB.  Don't forget my books and photos and everything else media.

So, what it comes down to is that it isn't big enough.  Not everyone shares the same device usage habits and preferences, but as I said I sacrifice videos and other things as it is to have more music.  You can say "well get the classic" and I have seriously considered it, but I'd rather not spend another $250, have to manage two devices, sync two devices, charge two devices, etc.  I might still do it, but I'd rather just have a 128-256GB touch.

That would:
- give me one device instead of two
- prevent the need to remove items to free space for syncing
- give me more music
- give me more apps, games, etc.
- prevent me from having to remove items to record videos or take photos
- save me money

All that fixed with just a space increase, like they have done with most ipods until recently.

Now my thought is that they want to have people use their cloud services and lock you into that for better or worse.  So why would they give people more space if they want to promote the cloud?  Unfortunately, the cloud isn't viable for large music libraries (or anything for me personally).  There is also the economy and storage costs, which might have an effect.  But that doesn't mean you should ask "do you really need that much more music".  That would just indicate that they probably would upgrade it if they could afford it.  Personally, I'd pay another $100 for a 128GB touch, and I think some others would too.  Perhaps they could make them more on-demand so as not to run up manufacturing costs for nothing.  Just throw in the custom ssd drive when someone orders it and have it take a bit longer.  Or just do what they've always done and step the whole product up like they should.

I don't mean this to sound angry or anything.  I'm just trying to illustrate that while you may not listen to music the same way I do, that doesn't mean other people don't have the same desires.  You could go back to 2000 when my samsung yepp was 128MB.... yes, MB.  I loved it then, but it was a different time and I had to be more selective.  I hated that part of it truly, but I liked having any music with me.  Before that I carried CDs and a CD player everywhere I went.  I could grab 10 CDs in 10 seconds and head out the door.  Even itunes isn't that fast. :p  I already spend way too much time "managing" my music.  I want to put it on my device and not ever think of it again.  New CD?  Rip and sync.  Done.  I don't want to sync, strategically pick music i "think" i "might" want to listen to tomorrow only to find I don't the next day.  Spending hours managing the music.

Anyway, not to get too far off topic, but to answer your question.  Do you need your entire library everywhere you go?  Maybe not, but at least MOST of it. :p  Yes, yes I do.  haha.  In terms of always needing more, well that depends.  CDs are still going strong for the most part and the majority of digital downloads are smaller than CD files.  Therefore, considering that I have a large library but not as large as some, I think a step or two higher is reasonable for a multi-purpose devices.  That would give a lot of music space compressed, or a lot of mixed usage space.  For super audiophiles they should always have a music player a step above in quality and space.  By now they should easily have a 250GB ipod classic.  Even if it doesn't sell as well, it obviously sells enough, as it never goes away.  And the price of drives has been dropping.  They could throw in a new drive, make new sales and keep the costs possibly exactly the same as they have been.

With either of those two scenarios, I wouldn't need more space for at least 10 years, at which point all of the drive technology should be vastly larger and more affordable and the newer devices should easily match my library needs.  If they release higher quality digital audio and eliminate CDs, they should STILL compensate for the larger files by giving people more space in general, so comparatively that wouldn't change anything.

I bet you didn't expect to get such a long response huh? haha -o

Apr 25, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #384 of 399
Hi,

I totally agree. Right now to accommodate my music collection I use two iPod Classics - a 160 and a 120 - and I hope Apple never forgets customers like us. I hope one day when these iPods die, they would have a 50 GB solid state version. Both my iPods go into a particular case I have that has two pouches that fit the Classic perfectly. That's my on-the-go collection. Cheers.

Apr 25, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #385 of 399
Of course I meant 500 GB, not 50. Sheesh.

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #387 of 399
Quote:
I'm still holding out for at least a 128 ssd touch or a 250gb classic.  sheesh.  apple is getting behind the game here!!!

They've been slowly falling behind for awhile now. Am I the only one on this thread who also wishes Apple would upgrade the DAC amp section of the Classic/Touch as well as the storage. The Classic hasn't been updated in ages.

Apr 26, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #389 of 399
Quote:
 Am I the only one on this thread who also wishes Apple would upgrade the DAC amp section of the Classic/Touch as well as the storage. The Classic hasn't been updated in ages.

The Thailand floods probably still affect the spinning hard disks production to some extent. More importantly, with falling SSD prices, the need of spinning HDDs really lessen. Like how the 17" MBP was a minority, perhaps large capacity (>128GB) iPod buyers aren't substantial enough to justify updating the Classic range. At some point, we will have high capacity (>200GB) iPod touches. Having a great DAC will be a plus.

Apr 26, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #390 of 399
Quote:
The Thailand floods probably still affect the spinning hard disks production to some extent. More importantly, with falling SSD prices, the need of spinning HDDs really lessen. Like how the 17" MBP was a minority, perhaps large capacity (>128GB) iPod buyers aren't substantial enough to justify updating the Classic range. At some point, we will have high capacity (>200GB) iPod touches. Having a great DAC will be a plus.

The prices have pretty much come back down to where they were for most HDDs.......whether that applies to the small-diameter ones like used in a Classic, I am not sure though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back