iPhone 4S
Oct 13, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #46 of 187

Quote:
No it's being replaced for me. I'm possibly replacing my 4G Touch with a 4GS. 

Oh the iPhone 4S.. I thought there's a new ipod touch called the 4GS. My bad.. 
tongue.gif

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #47 of 187

Quote:
The Touch 4G is my DAP of choice (though it's being replaced by a 4GS soon), but the 3GS is simply better sound-wise imo. The Touch tends to color the sound in the mids and rolls off the treble, 3GS simply has a more reference sort of quality and easily stays on par with a DAP like the J3 whereas the Touch doesn't. The 3GS doesn't have treble roll-off, if nitpicking the region that has roll-off is the treble but not to the extent of the Touch. Cowon and Samsung players have bass roll-offs. 

Conducting those sort of test is tricky as you somehow have to find a way to perfectly match them first, the output requirements are quite different on both. 

I did feel the 3GS had better mids even though the bass disappeared under 40hz, which might be down to the internal amp rather than DAC? It's annoying. How does the Touch 3G fare? I'm been browsing the Refurb store and the 64GB ones pop up occasionally, would save me some money, although the form factor of the 4G does cut down on the overall size of the brick once you add the CLAS+amp.

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #49 of 187

I did feel the 3GS had better mids even though the bass disappeared under 40hz, which might be down to the internal amp rather than DAC? It's annoying. How does the Touch 3G fare? I'm been browsing the Refurb store and the 64GB ones pop up occasionally, would save me some money, although the form factor of the 4G does cut down on the overall size of the brick once you add the CLAS+amp.

Odd, I don't remember the bass of the 3GS disappearing at all under 40hz, that sounds very wrong ime. The 3G Touch is almost identical to the 4G Touch in terms of sound.

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #50 of 187
This was with UE SF5 Pros (the old ones pre-Logitech). On the 3GS the 20hz tone was barely audible, where as on the 4G Touch I had to check the EQ was off (it was) because it was quite prominent. I'd give it a try with some other IEMs but I don't have any others to hand atm.

Oct 14, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #52 of 187
well...as a iPhone 4 user, I was disappointed....and btw its confirmed that its only 518mb RAM

has Tim been living under a rock for the last few months?? There has been leaks about the Prime and the SGS3 for ages, and they released this phone....

I've got a good idea Apple, instead of fearing and suing Samsung, why don't you work more with Samsung with your hardware. After all, Samsung is the best at hardware and you can't make a good phone with out them.

Oct 14, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #54 of 187
Mine should be delivered while I'm at work... I'll have my hands on it later though.

Regarding the RAM...  the 4S steams through all sorts of benchmarks and in real world use (which is what matters most) it's fast. It 'only' has an underclocked A5 yet it runs quicker than the current Android phones at stock. If the end user experience was being affected by the current amount of RAM then they'd have upped it, but evidently it isn't. For things like multi-tasking it doesn't need more RAM like Android because apps don't really run fully in the background bar the odd thing like Tom-Tom.

I think we'll see 1GB on the next one because it'll be the start of a new tick-tock cycle and they'll be things that will require more RAM, although I've got no idea what they might be.

Oct 14, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #55 of 187

Quote:
Mine should be delivered while I'm at work... I'll have my hands on it later though.

Regarding the RAM...  the 4S steams through all sorts of benchmarks and in real world use (which is what matters most) it's fast. It 'only' has an underclocked A5 yet it runs quicker than the current Android phones at stock. If the end user experience was being affected by the current amount of RAM then they'd have upped it, but evidently it isn't. For things like multi-tasking it doesn't need more RAM like Android because apps don't really run fully in the background bar the odd thing like Tom-Tom.

I think we'll see 1GB on the next one because it'll be the start of a new tick-tock cycle and they'll be things that will require more RAM, although I've got no idea what they might be.

All sorts of bench mark?? theres only been one, thats the browser thingy. Which doesn't say much except that Apple improved its browser

And the RAM thing, what you said is very fanboyish, they obviously didn't fit 1gb of RAM cause they couldn't, I don't have enough RAM on my iPhone 4, its becomes REALLY laggy at the end of the day because of the lack of RAM. 

Oct 14, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #56 of 187
Yah, I've only seen 2 bench marks where the iPhone 4s topped the Galaxy S2.  1 was a javascript bench mark and the other was graphics 3D benchmark.

Making fan boy comments that the A5 crushes everything is wrong!  It certainly has a more powerful graphics chip but that's it.

Oct 14, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #57 of 187

Quote:
Yah, I've only seen 2 bench marks where the iPhone 4s topped the Galaxy S2.  1 was a javascript bench mark and the other was graphics 3D benchmark.

Making fan boy comments that the A5 crushes everything is wrong!  It certainly has a more powerful graphics chip but that's it.

the A5 is just an underclocked Exynos with a better graphics chip. 

what I'm looking forward to the most is the the purported SGS3 specs sourced from the same person that leaked the Prime (which looks pretty accurate to me, look at the leaked video of the actually Prime)

http://www.gsmarena.com/purported_samsung_galaxy_s_iii_specs_revealed-news-3149.php

Oct 14, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #59 of 187

Quote:
the A5 is just an underclocked Exynos with a better graphics chip. 

what I'm looking forward to the most is the the purported SGS3 specs sourced from the same person that leaked the Prime (which looks pretty accurate to me, look at the leaked video of the actually Prime)

http://www.gsmarena.com/purported_samsung_galaxy_s_iii_specs_revealed-news-3149.php

Those leaked SGS3 specs are a little out to lunch in my opinion.

1.5GB Ram yes.
10MP camera yes.
Battery size, hopefully.
Dual Core 1.8 is more realistic.  Quad core is pretty much pointless on a phone.
720p screen is more realistic.

Oct 14, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #60 of 187
I have just sold the supercrappy SGSII (lots of bugs for a TOTL cell phone, Android isn't prepared to dual core cell phones and ridiculously short battery life) 20 minutes ago after suffering it for 3 months and currently waiting for the iPhone 4S to be released in Spain on October 28th. Hopefully, I wouldn't need to update and tweak the damned cell phone everyday, as I used to do with the SGSII, and I will be able to have an all in one portable unit with good quality music (will be paired with the Fostex HP-P1) and decent cell phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back