iPhone 4S
Oct 5, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #32 of 187

Quote:
Take a look at this article (http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/02/itunes-may-upgrade-to-24-bit-files-but-why-bother.ars).

That was actually the article I first heard about the 24bit thing (first thing come up in Google I believe), Hopefully iPhone 5 will have the 24bit DAC

Oct 6, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #33 of 187
24bit is quite significant for digital volume control quality, those who poopoo it clearly do not realize this.

Oct 6, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #34 of 187

Quote:
24bit is quite significant for digital volume control quality, those who poopoo it clearly do not realize this.

Really ? 
eek.gif
 In what way ? Good or bad ?

Oct 10, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #36 of 187

Quote:
A5 CPU, 1GB RAM, 8MP Camera, Siri, iOS 5, but nothing much else changed. No iPhone 5. Discuss.

Brilliant ! lmao, you took me back to being a student, we had a very stern Japanese teacher who would give us a set of data then bark at us: Discuss ! - which you would do out of fear of death, he was a great teacher. Anyway, does anybody know whether the DAC in the iPhone 4S is Wolfson or Cirrus Logic ?

Oct 10, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #37 of 187

Quote:

Brilliant ! lmao, you took me back to being a student, we had a very stern Japanese teacher who would give us a set of data then bark at us: Discuss ! - which you would do out of fear of death, he was a great teacher. Anyway, does anybody know whether the DAC in the iPhone 4S is Wolfson or Cirrus Logic ?

I'm going to guess that its still the same, which if I remember correctly is Cirrus Logic

Oct 10, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #38 of 187

Quote:
I'm going to guess that its still the same, which if I remember correctly is Cirrus Logic 

Cirrus Logic is currently used in the iPad, iPod Touch and iPhone. I know there is a lot more to sound than just the DAC, but without getting into a debate on chips, I prefer the warmer sound of the Wolfson, so I'm hoping it's not the Cirrus Logic DAC. After a quick search, the only info I could find is this out of date article indicating a possible return to Wolfson, but as the iPad 2 uses Cirrus Logic, I'm going to guess that the article by the Economic Daily News of Taiwan is actually incorrect. Oh well, we will know soon enough...

Oct 10, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #39 of 187

Quote:
A5 CPU, 1GB RAM, 8MP Camera, Siri, iOS 5, but nothing much else changed. No iPhone 5. Discuss.

MacRumors has just issued an update on the specifications of the iPhone 4S: the RAM is now thought to be 512 MB rather than 1 GB, the specifications chart on Wikipedia has also been updated with the RAM field now showing 512 MB, but the DAC field is still a blank space...

Oct 12, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #40 of 187
Wikipedia is wrong again, the IP4 doesn't use the same DAC as the 3GS it uses the Cirrus Logic 338S0589 that is actually Apple branded. This Apple branded DAC is much better than the previous Cirrus DACs, even better than the Wolfsons Apple was using as you won't get any rolled-off bass or other artifacts the Wolfsons had. I'm almost certain the 4GS is going to be using the same DAC since the Ipad 2 uses the same one as well. 

Oct 12, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #41 of 187

Quote:
I just want an iphone with a digital out that doesn't require a 500 dollar addon

The people who supply that 500 dollar addon actually paid Apple a hefty sum for the right to do so. Last time I checked, the Pure i-20 cost a lot less than 500 dollars, but I'm sure they also paid Apple big bucks.

Oct 12, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #42 of 187
I plan on getting a 64GB Touch after I get my customs, then an amp for the LOD, then after that I'll see if my ears are still wanting more and try out the CLAS (perhaps at a meet if possible). There's nothing stopping you from returning if you don't like it, distance selling regulations and all that (at least over here).

BTW, I AB'ed my mum's Touch 4G vs. my about to be sold 3GS (4S incoming) today and they didn't sound identical, so it'll be interesting to compare the 4S when I get it, although I don't plan on using it for audio. One thing I did notice straight away with the Touch and 3GS was that the latter had some pretty obvious bass roll-off; I always use the subwoofer test track Woofer Cooker which has this ridiculous frequency sweep at the start that goes down to about 20hz and maintains a constant rumble. The 3GS was barely audible while the Touch kept it together all the way to the bottom. The overall sig felt a little different too, although I did this while updating her Touch to iOS 5 and her laptop to iTunes 10.5 so didn't listen for more than 5mins.

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #43 of 187
The Touch 4G is my DAP of choice (though it's being replaced by a 4GS soon), but the 3GS is simply better sound-wise imo. The Touch tends to color the sound in the mids and rolls off the treble, 3GS simply has a more reference sort of quality and easily stays on par with a DAP like the J3 whereas the Touch doesn't. The 3GS doesn't have treble roll-off, if nitpicking the region that has roll-off is the treble but not to the extent of the Touch. Cowon and Samsung players have bass roll-offs. 

Conducting those sort of test is tricky as you somehow have to find a way to perfectly match them first, the output requirements are quite different on both. 

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #44 of 187

Quote:
The Touch 4G is my DAP of choice (though it's being replaced by a 4GS soon), but the 3GS is simply better sound-wise imo. The Touch tends to color the sound in the mids and rolls off the treble, 3GS simply has a more reference sort of quality and easily stays on par with a DAP like the J3 whereas the Touch doesn't. The 3GS doesn't have treble roll-off, if nitpicking the region that has roll-off is the treble but not to the extent of the Touch. Cowon and Samsung players have bass roll-offs. 

Conducting those sort of test is tricky as you somehow have to find a way to perfectly match them first, the output requirements are quite different on both. 

Where did you hear of that? Apple just updated the iPod Touch (introduced a white model).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back