iPhone 3G revealed: "Improved Audio...flush headphone jack...$199 for 8GB"
Jul 17, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #151 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
however, the iphone only has bass roll off: it has excellent separation and as always, loads of power and for a portable player, the bass roll off is still among the best... no like nano, d2, zens or most cowon

Alright, well that's a little more positive.... How does the 3G sound compared to the 2nd Gen iPod Nano? I can't remember specifics about the Nano when I listened to it with my SE530s, but what I do remember is something was missing. I couldn't put my finger on it at the time (I wasn't as analytical about sound back then as I am now). It might have been muddy, rolled off lows and congested mids/highs, but I could be wrong. Can anyone compare the 2nd Gen Nano to the 3G for me please?

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #152 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricthaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well,

I thouroughly tested my iPhone 3G against my iPhone 1.0, Sony NW-Z516, iPod nano 3rd gen and iriver clix and must say the iPhone is my favourite right out of the headphone jack, maybe a tie with the sony, but it sounds really, really good. I was stunned.

Once one did a good listening to the iPhone 3G you'll see that the 3G has a real nice output. A tad better then the 1.0 iPhone imho. So now I have a very good portable rig, if I don't wanna carry around the amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by psikey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was looking to get the 3g iPhone so thought I'd give themm a try and basically I found sound quality to be same as Nano, lacking decent base. Don't normally use EQ settings but thought I'd try the base boost on the Apple devices and while I get the base it distorts the sound to my ears. I then went into the Sony store & tried my 530's with a Walkman A828 and sound was absolutely stunning without any EQ.

Made me realise the Walkman W960i phone I use is also pretty damn nice sound quality. Very unlikley I'll get and iPhone now even though it looks stunning.

I know everyone has their opinions and everything, and that's fine, but who here is probably closer to the "truth" (if there is one)?

Jul 17, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #153 of 205
well,

All is relative to their own experiences, opinions and interpretations.
But afaik the Walkman branded phones sound crappy. I've had a few, including W880i, W810i, W800i, W850i and W950i and all sounded very, very crappy.

The Walkman A828 has indeed very nice SQ but the Walkman branded phones are terrible imho.

Regarding the SQ on the iPhone 3G, it is very nice. Though it is neutral. There is no bass boost or pumped up high end as is the case with the Sony's. My Triple.fi's like this neutrality of the iPhone very much. Only thing I'd like to improve is the volume. My Triple.fi need quite some juice from the iPhone's amp and it just has about enough to feed them properly, but if I wanna rock on it I have to get my 2Move.

Rgds,

ric

Jul 18, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #154 of 205
I really hope I don't find issues with the iPhone 3G's apparent neutrality. I do in fact like a warmer sound signature. However, I'm going to be using Shure SE530s (which by themselves are warm) with the iPhone, so I hope the two will sound good together. Is the lower end of the sound spectrum at least tight and clean (without EQ)?

Jul 18, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #155 of 205
A few thoughts and comparisons:

Comparing my iPhone 3G's headphone jack to line out:
The line out sounds noticeably better. It sounds fuller, with more extended, accurate treble. There could be more; this is simply a first impression of a quick A/B.

I used Apple's 3G Dock and a cheap mini to mini to get the signal to my Desktop Portable, and used my W5000's. My ALO LOD does not work with my iPhone 3G. I wonder if Ken can re-work the LOD to work with both my iPod and iPhone? I'll have to email him.

Something that might disappoint is the noise I heard when using the line out of the Dock when it was also connected to my laptop (so I could transfer more test songs from iTunes!) The noise was loud enough to render this connection combination useless. I suspect the two cables (ports) are too close to each other. I don't plan on doing this on a regular basis, but if you are, be forewarned.

Just for kicks, I also compared using the iPhone's line out to using my PowerBook's USB out. No contest. USB wins hands down. Going from the laptop back to the iPhone, music seemed to sound just a bit less "real." Not surprising. Of course, this isn't to say that the iPhone sounds bad at all - quite the contrary. Now if someone would just make a portable way to get digital output from the iPod/iPhone... (If you can make this happen, please please please let me know.)

I'm also interested to hear the difference between my iPhone and iPod. If I get around to it, and if anyone cares, I'll post my thoughts on that too.

Jul 18, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #156 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by drummerboy47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ALO LOD does not work with my iPhone 3G. I wonder if Ken can re-work the LOD to work with both my iPod and iPhone? I'll have to email him.

He should be able to (at least he can make new docks that work with both). I have been told that all that is neede is to connect pin 1 and 11 in the dock connector to make it work.

Jul 18, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #157 of 205
regarding the w960 phone I have one and other than the awkward to use Sony transfer software and the fact that you have to use the supplied Sony headphone adaptor it is a decent enough phone!
Sound wise it is not a patch on my amped touch and as such is/was used solely as a phone and not for the music side of things!
Bass is very harsh and ,to me, doesn't provide as accurate a representation of my music as say the touch running through my predator!
Would test them against one another via the headphone out but the w960 is in for repair again for a fault on the touch screen!
W960 had absolutely no improvement when amped and in fact sounded harsh through my predator with bass failing to sound seperate from mid range
Instruments were very confused in their representation too with no clear seperation
In all a good phone but one that first and foremostlyis just that, a phone!
Musically I have to say that I prefe my iPhone but without side by side comparison with same phones I can't say with honesty which is best

Jul 18, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #158 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by drummerboy47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course, this isn't to say that the iPhone sounds bad at all - quite the contrary.

But I assume you're referring to the line out and not the headphone out, because I will be using just the headphone out...

Jul 18, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #160 of 205
I dont know about other players but to me the iPhone 3G from the headphone out sounds pretty good, possibly the best iPod I have heard (3rd gen original, video, 1st gen Shuffle, 2nd gen Nano and 3rd gen Nano) although it is probably close between it and the 1st gen Shuffle but the iPhone has more power than the Shuffle. At least to my ears.

Jul 19, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #161 of 205
I can ask you guys how the iPhone sounds all I want, but until I hear it for myself, I won't truly understand.

I'm going to an AT&T store tomorrow. Thanks guys.

Jul 19, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #162 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can ask you guys how the iPhone sounds all I want, but until I hear it for myself, I won't truly understand.

I'm going to an AT&T store tomorrow. Thanks guys.

Yes that's the only way your ears can know for sure and that's really all that matters

Jul 19, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #164 of 205
I'm running aac 320KB as I found that in a portable environment with or without an amp I could not consistently tell the difference up to lossless so went for greater choice rather than higher quality. Between 196 and 320 I could pick the 320 4 out of 5 times so still a fairly big miss rate. I couldn't find any pattern to what songs I got wrong other than it almost never happened with orchestral classical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back