iPhone 3G revealed: "Improved Audio...flush headphone jack...$199 for 8GB"
Jul 21, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #181 of 205
ALO jumbo cryo
Qables silvercab pro
Qables performance
Punnisher low profile
All of those LOD do NOT work on my iPhone 3G

Jul 21, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #182 of 205
the Qables performance iphone LOD works perfectly on my iPhone 3G.
So I guess all the old iPhone LODs work on the new 3G.

Rgds

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #183 of 205
A little late to the game with my replies....

Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes they make a version of their docks that work with the iPhone (at least with 1st gen iPhones). Something about more pins in the dock needing to be connected. Also to switch between using the dock or not the phone needs to turned completely of and the dock attached/detached before the phone is turned on again.

The problem for me however is that since I stick the SuperMini onto the back of the player/phone the rf interference is so loud that using the amp is impossible. Ken also noted this and said that to do this you need to put the iPhone in flight mode to avoid the rf noise.

Thanks for mentioning the RF issue; it was driving me crazy thinking that my Mini^3 amp was going funky. I kept hearing all sorts of noises when there was no music or during low-volume sections. I had tried other sources with my amp and no noises, and headphones direct into the iPhone and it was OK too.

I assumed an incompatibility between the iPhone and Mini^3 but thanks to a quick search here, the solution was found. Setting the iPhone into airplane mode works great, albeit making the phone/network aspects of the iPhone useless. My Mini^3 is a x5 gain unit - would a lower gain amp work better? I guess I'll find out when I get my wait-listed Pico and try x2 gain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried the iPhone 3G straight into Shure E500s/SE530s?

Yes, I use the SE530s direct from my iPhone 3G headphone jack for the majority of my portable, on the go listening. When I'm at my office desk, I often put my Mini^3 into the loop. Alas as mentioned above, that means putting the iPhone into airplane mode. Using the headphone out jack, no unusual noises are heard with airplane mode mode turned off (i.e. iPhone fully functional).

I still need to build or buy myself a LOD for the iPhone 3G. Although I have the skills (25+ years doing electronics service and building my own cables), I really think I'll just take the easy way out and purchase one. My eyesight is getting worse and my time is probably better spent enjoying the toys rather than building them.
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #184 of 205
my mom just got one yesterday and I'm typing this message on it. 3G is fairly speedy and everything works more or less as advertised. What is slightly disappointing is the laggy interface: it takes time for address book entries and texts to come up. The camera is much better than the number of megapixels may suggest.

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #185 of 205
I haven't heard the new 3G iPhone yet, but the old jack on v 1.0 is a bummer. The audio quality on the v 1.0 is pretty bad, it might be bad enough to upgrade!!

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #186 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is slightly disappointing is the laggy interface: it takes time for address book entries and texts to come up.

Yeah, I've witnessed this. When you go from the iPhone 1.0 software to the 2.0 software, you get more features, but the interface speed and stability go down slightly (like going from Tiger to Leopard/from XP to Vista...). I'm not too worried though. Apple wouldn't let 1/3 of their company's focus be blemished by something like this for very long (a.k.a. I'm expecting a software update as soon as they get everything under control).

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUMIERE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard the new 3G iPhone yet, but the old jack on v 1.0 is a bummer.

I haven't heard the 1.0's headphone jack out, but to me, the 3G's headphone out is quite good. Like I said, I would prefer a more Sony-like sound signature, but with the extra features I'll be getting with the iPhone 3G, sacrificing a little sound quality is worth not having to buy and carry around another device.

Jul 28, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #187 of 205
I really don't want to repost this, but I am still curious about this problem. Please post what you know or have experienced regarding this issue:

I have a question for everyone who has an iPhone/iPhone 3G:

(Taken from Live iPhone 3G vs. iPhone Comparison Test Results Here | iLounge News :)

Quote:

Headphone Port Problems

During phone testing of one of our two iPhone 3G units, we were surprised to discover that phone calls would spontaneously end when the headphone plug was pulled out of the port. We were able to reproduce the issue over and over again with that unit, our white 16GB model, but found that our black 8GB unit had no such problem. Just for the sake of testing, we also tried the same test with the same headphones on an original iPhone, which didn’t have the issue; this appears to be a limited defect rather than a general one.

More details to come shortly…

Kind of weird.... Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Jul 28, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #188 of 205
It's not weird, you're shorting the pins that are triggered by the button on the headset. Just a different jack used, so slightly different impact with various things.

Jul 28, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #190 of 205
With mixed use I get up to 2 days worth on a charge.

I have been using it now for 4 days on vacation with my ATH-ESW9 straight out of the headout and have to say that it is very acceptable sound to me. Not as good as my 2 main portable/transportable rigs but still very acceptable and better than I had expected. This may cause me to sell my 2 SuperMini's and Nano. Only problem is volume with the ER4-S where I have to have the volume at max so might be time to contact Alex to get a P cable instead of my S cable.

Jul 28, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #191 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really don't want to repost this, but I am still curious about this problem. Please post what you know or have experienced regarding this issue:...

My aging arthritic grandmother went to her doctor and complained that her back hurt when she bent over to pick things up. The doctor told her, "Well, then don't bend over to pick things up!"

Short answer... don't pull out the headphone plug mid-call.
smily_headphones1.gif

--Chris

Jul 28, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #193 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My aging arthritic grandmother went to her doctor and complained that her back hurt when she bent over to pick things up. The doctor told her, "Well, then don't bend over to pick things up!"

Short answer... don't pull out the headphone plug mid-call.
smily_headphones1.gif

--Chris

Well right, but it seems not all iPhones have this behavior. This begs the question, "Well, if mine does it and yours doesn't, is there something wrong with mine?" And the answer I'm getting thus far is, "They're different jacks."

I understand what's happening and what the problem is. I just don't understand why this flaw (minor flaw, but still) would be injected into this new model instead of avoided. Keep in mind, I still don't have my iPhone so there's a chance mine doesn't do this, but I'm just preparing myself for if it does.

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #194 of 205
just got my 3g, im really surprised by its volume output. it seems its more powerful than my d2 when I use it for my car with cassette adaptor.
however it causes noticible distortions when i use bass boosting EQ.
i just wish its more punchy without distortions. (using shure e4c)

anyone want to buy my shiny red 4gb d2? (its like new)
icon10.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #195 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by straden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
however it causes noticible distortions when i use bass boosting EQ.

Apple's EQ has never been good on any of their players. I expected this when I got my 3G. Luckily, it has enough bass response for me with the EQ off completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back