iPhone 3G revealed: "Improved Audio...flush headphone jack...$199 for 8GB"
Jun 9, 2008 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 205

neoufo51

500+ Head-Fier
Here's the quote from today's keynote that matters to us.

Quote:

"Improved audio, it's really, really great... and it feels even better in your hand, if you can believe it."

"Flush headphone jack."

Steve Jobs keynote live from WWDC 2008 - Engadget

At this pricepoint, I expect to see quite a few head-fier's reporting to us how much improvement has gone into the audio aspect.
tongue.gif

Jun 9, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 205
...and it will be available in Norway on July 11th.
smily_headphones1.gif

If they set the price anywhere near the US one I am certainly in for one.

Jun 9, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 205
Get thee behind me in the queue KRmathis. If released at a reasonable price here in Norway, fights will break out....
redface.gif

Jun 9, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 205
what sizes are they doing it in?
8gb 16gb? anything bigger??

Jun 9, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 205
Did you read that..

"How does the iPhone 3G tackle these things? Let's take a look at 3G. Why do you want 3G? Faster data downloads, right? There's nowhere that you want it more than the browser and downloading email. First, the browser..."

"Improved audio, it's really, really great... and it feels even better in your hand, if you can believe it."

"Flush headphone jack."

"Solid metal buttons, the same gorgeous 3.5-inch display, camera"

"We've learned so much with the first iPhone. We've taken everything we've learned and more and created the iPhone 3G. It's beautiful. This is what it looks like." Black back! "Thinner at the edges. Full plastic back, it's really nice."

Nice...they cheaped out on the case....who knows what else was cheaped out on. No wonder they're able to bring cost down so much....

Not really a complaint, but I knew with a price drop that significant, there was a catch. It's plastic.

Jun 9, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #10 of 205
oicdn,
The "catch" is that AT&T is subsidizing the cost of the phone, at a loss of $0.11/share. There's no way they were able to cut the price of the phone in half by replacing the back with plastic, especially a decent quality plastic (it doesn't look like a cheap ABS extrusion). At best, they might have broken even for adding a GPS and/or 3G radio, but I think it was for aesthetic purposes. The back of the original iPhone was pretty ugly with the black plastic "window" for the cell/wifi radios, a uniform all-plastic back is a lot more attractive and in-line with Apple's design conventions.

Jun 9, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #11 of 205
No ogg/flac. No proper, native im client. No voip. No freedom. No background processes....... No thanks, I say.

I am rather curious if the audio output is any good, though.

I'm definitely due for a phone upgrade, but I'm not really sure what the phone is for me... (It probably doesn't exist yet.)

Jun 9, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #13 of 205
oicdn,
The "catch" is that AT&T is subsidizing the cost of the phone, at a loss of $0.11/share. There's no way they were able to cut the price of the phone in half by replacing the back with plastic, especially a decent quality plastic (it doesn't look like a cheap ABS extrusion). At best, they might have broken even for adding a GPS and/or 3G radio, but I think it was for aesthetic purposes. The back of the original iPhone was pretty ugly with the black plastic "window" for the cell/wifi radios, a uniform all-plastic back is a lot more attractive and in-line with Apple's design conventions.

Jun 9, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #14 of 205
Wonder what cheaper parts they used in the production line. Hmmm. $199USD everywhere in the world for 8GB. Not bad at all. Too bad the camera STILL doesn't have auto-focus. Oh well. I'll wait until then. Wonder if it's still locked in other countries.

Jun 9, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #15 of 205
To all excited about the new reduced price for the 3G iPhone:

The new $10 monthly bump for the data rate package means that the "cheaper" iPhone will cost you $40 more than the new one after the 2 year contract is up. It will cost you $240 the next year, etc...Look at AT&T's rate plans. The cheapest starts at $70 pre taxes and service charges. Also, the much hyped 3G speeds have yet to be tested on the new iPhone and even at the most optimistic won't be better than WiFi.

Apple should open up to other carriers. It runs twice as long on 2G. 10hrs vs 5hrs on 3G.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back