iPhone 3G revealed: "Improved Audio...flush headphone jack...$199 for 8GB"
Jul 15, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #121 of 205
I use my iPhone 3G with my 2Move trough a LOD and I have no interference at all!!

Rgds

Jul 15, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #122 of 205
If turn iphone to flight mode will cut out any interference!!
unfortunately renders it useless as a phone!!
works solely as an ipod!!
btw sounds great unamped with my triple fi's i got today at about 60-70% volume!!
waiting on an LOD!!
hurry i need my LOD as the suspense of hearing it amped is killing me lol

Jul 15, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #123 of 205
Has anyone tried the iPhone 3G straight into Shure E500s/SE530s?

Jul 15, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #124 of 205
i used to have supermini as well and if it has one problem sonically: it is the interference it receives. but you might be surprised with the er4s and just the iphone. i did 1st gen shuffle to it and meizu m6 to it and found both fine. so... good luck

Jul 15, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #125 of 205
tried se530 into iphone and sounds ok until u pause then it hisses
have to be playing sound or not hav iems in ear or you hear the noise from the ground out the back
is minor but cant hav phones in and not be playing music

Jul 15, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #126 of 205
the iphone and touch hiss a bit more than the usual ipod. not sure about 3g but im sure it is the same. less than sony and meizu's older models surely but more than usual. impedence adapter: fixes that er4p to s for me 25$ from head-direct.com

Jul 16, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #128 of 205
I think it is a little bit better than 3rd gen Nano using ER4-S and I don't hear any hiss with them so I think this will be good enough for me in order to just carry one device. Won't sell my Nano or SuperMini though.

Jul 16, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #129 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatethatgiraffe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tried se530 into iphone and sounds ok until u pause then it hisses
have to be playing sound or not hav iems in ear or you hear the noise from the ground out the back
is minor but cant hav phones in and not be playing music

Alright.... Interesting....

(Taken from Live iPhone 3G vs. iPhone Comparison Test Results Here | iLounge News : )

Quote:

"However, the major difference between these two devices isn’t the speaker, but rather what comes out of the headphone port. Everyone knows that Apple has fixed the first iPhone’s incompatibility with common 3.5mm headphone plugs, but what hasn’t been widely reported is that the iPhone 3G most certainly has a new audio chip, quite likely the same Cirrus Logic one that made it into the iPod classic. Direct comparisons between the iPhone 3G and original iPhone showed that the new model has an almost completely clean noise floor, just like the iPod classic, rather than the comparatively noisier iPhone, which used a similar Wolfson Audio sound chip to the iPod nano, 5G, and touch products. We have more testing to do on this front, but what we can say is that the iPhone 3G sounds hugely cleaner with a high-end pair of earphones than the original model."

Basically, my question is this: How noisy are we talking? Like, I remember when I was doing some intense researching on Sony's new mp3 players, people were talking about some very noticeable hiss with SE530s. But when I eventually tried the player myself with my SE530s, it wasn't hardly a bother to me. So based on this quote from iLounge, I have to question if the noise will really be a distraction.

Jul 16, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #130 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricthaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well.

I think the GPS and added 3G support is a must for the European market. No credits for that to apple as it's simply a logic step if you wanna compete with higher-end Nokia and SonyEricsson offerings in the EU.

Credits for the headphone jack? I dunno. It was stupid in the first place to have it recessed. No they just mad up for it.

I must admit I think the enterprise functionality rules, Mobileme loks promising, the black back looks very niicee!!! Improved audio, I think this only includes the speaker.

I don't like the plastic back I'm afraid. I LOOOOOOOVE metal and other durable materials. Also, I think the metal back of the current iphone protects against scratching. The new one is (again) glossy. So you can't lay it down without scatching it.

So I think they mostly made up for mistakes in iphone 1.0 or just added features that were neccesary for launch in the EU.

Though I LOOVE the natural Apple style they do it with. So Neat.

I know this is crazy, but why is Apple using "glossy" scratchable surfaces on the backs of their phones? They know they will be messed up in no time. Well, my Motorola Razr 2 has a black rubberized back and it doesn't have one scratch on it after months of use. Who ever thought that Apple could ever take a lesson from Motorola...

Jul 16, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #131 of 205
The hiss is minor!
Hardly there at all but is there!
Remember we are at headfi with some of the most analytical ears around and if I said was no sound through the phones with no music playing I could have been strung up LOL
That said I am quite happy to use the headphone jack right now till I get an LOD it's it ultra portable rig LOL

Jul 16, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #132 of 205
yeah, if the sony does not bother you with e500, the iphone or touch should be far from bothering. i can hear the sony hissing in less sensitive phones over the bus engine. that is 720 series, 610 series, 800 series and 820 series! if they don't bother you, the touch should be fine as it is about 30-50% quieter.

Jul 16, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #133 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatethatgiraffe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The hiss is minor!
Hardly there at all but is there!
Remember we are at headfi with some of the most analytical ears around and if I said was no sound through the phones with no music playing I could have been strung up LOL
That said I am quite happy to use the headphone jack right now till I get an LOD it's it ultra portable rig LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, if the sony does not bother you with e500, the iphone or touch should be far from bothering. i can hear the sony hissing in less sensitive phones over the bus engine. that is 720 series, 610 series, 800 series and 820 series! if they don't bother you, the touch should be fine as it is about 30-50% quieter.

Oh, well right: I understand there's going to be SOME hiss (I mean come on, it's a phone). But I would definitely be concerned if it was very noticeable.

So compared to Sony's new players, with Shure E500s/SE530s is there more or less hiss (just wanted to make sure I'm reading what you posted correctly)?

Jul 16, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #135 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried the iPhone 3G straight into Shure E500s/SE530s?

I did yesterday in the Apple store. Only recently gone to high quality Shures usually using my iPod Nano or W960i Walkman phone.

Soon as a tried the 530's with the Nano I realised why people say iPod sound quality is poor. Seemed to be no base (& yes, I insert them properly) while with my W960i they sound great.

Was looking to get the 3g iPhone so thought I'd give themm a try and basically I found sound quality to be same as Nano, lacking decent base. Don't normally use EQ settings but thought I'd try the base boost on the Apple devices and while I get the base it distorts the sound to my ears. I then went into the Sony store & tried my 530's with a Walkman A828 and sound was absolutely stunning without any EQ.

Made me realise the Walkman W960i phone I use is also pretty damn nice sound quality. Very unlikley I'll get and iPhone now even though it looks stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back