iPad to Support USB Audio Interfaces via Camera Connection Kit?
Dec 5, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #361 of 454

Quote:
Just got dr bots t3 USB hub and connected it to my Udac-Houston, we have liftoff. It works.

Wondering if there is any unforeseen downside to drawing more power than what apple recommends....  does the ipad battery die sooner?

Quote:
I just read that Apple reduced the power limit for USB devices from 100mA to 20mA in IOS 4.2.1.
Several USB hubs, incl. T3hub, seem to be a workaround.

Cheers

What can you do with 20mA?  My thumb drive needs 200mA and my Pico dac needs 100mA.  (My Canon G7 draws 2mA but it will only download pics)

Dec 5, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #362 of 454
Quote:
Quote:
Just got dr bots t3 USB hub and connected it to my Udac-Houston, we have liftoff. It works.

Wondering if there is any unforeseen downside to drawing more power than what apple recommends....  does the ipad battery die sooner?

Yes, if you use more power the battery will die sooner.

Quote:

Quote:
I just read that Apple reduced the power limit for USB devices from 100mA to 20mA in IOS 4.2.1.
Several USB hubs, incl. T3hub, seem to be a workaround.

Cheers

What can you do with 20mA?  My thumb drive needs 200mA and my Pico dac needs 100mA.  (My Canon G7 draws 2mA but it will only download pics)

After all, downloading pics is Apple's only stated purpose for the Camera Connection Kit, so it is easy to see where they are coming from when they impose this 20mA limitation even if we don't agree with it here at Head-fi. I'm sure Apple would prefer that we all get an Algorhythm Solo or some other device that they receive extra licensing fees on if we want to use our own DAC. I am just glad that my USB-powered DACs still work with a hub, and 2/3 of them work with the T3 but I do wish it was 3/3, I'm kind of surprised about that Devilsound cable.

Dec 5, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #363 of 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif

<snip>

Yes, if you use more power the battery will die sooner.

<snip>

After all, downloading pics is Apple's only stated purpose for the Camera Connection Kit, so it is easy to see where they are coming from when they impose this 20mA limitation even if we don't agree with it here at Head-fi. I'm sure Apple would prefer that we all get an Algorhythm Solo or some other device that they receive extra licensing fees on if we want to use our own DAC. I am just glad that my USB-powered DACs still work with a hub, and 2/3 of them work with the T3 but I do wish it was 3/3, I'm kind of surprised about that Devilsound cable.

By die, I mean having to send it back to Apple for a new battery......  maybe I should have said, "shorten its life span",..... maybe a constant external power draw could could shorten battery life dramatically, and Apple wants to get past the warranty period.

Still, Apple didn't take away the ability to use a powered hub, so we can use our own dacs, just not portably, without some kind of external power source for the dac.  Seems to me that it shouldn't be too hard to figure out a way to power a dac from an external battery.  Ya think? 
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 5, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #364 of 454
Or just get a DAC with its own internal battery, rechargeable or replaceable they're out there. I am kind of regretting selling my iBasso D4 at this point, dual DACs with a replaceable 9v battery but I think I would rather have rechargeable anyways.

I didn't realize you meant the life span of the battery, I thought you meant die down 
redface.gif

Dec 5, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #365 of 454

It seems like the user should be able to select how they want to use the ipad and set the power limit on the connector port.  We all know the trade-off between power usage and battery life.

Dec 5, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #366 of 454
It seems like the user should be able to select how they want to use the ipad and set the power limit on the connector port.  We all know the trade-off between power usage and battery life.

This is the fundamental difference in philosophy between apple and PC/Linux products. One is locked down and the other is openish/open to allow for customization.

Dec 6, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #368 of 454
For a long time Apple would not support A2DP bluetooth stereo headsets because they would run the battery down too much.  Now they limit the power draw on the iPad USB so as to not run the battery down too fast.  But I agree with you guys that we know the trade-offs between extra functionality and worse battery life, and we the users should be allowed to decide which is more important, not Apple who takes that choice away from us.

Dec 6, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #369 of 454

Quote:
For a long time Apple would not support A2DP bluetooth stereo headsets because they would run the battery down too much.  Now they limit the power draw on the iPad USB so as to not run the battery down too fast.  But I agree with you guys that we know the trade-offs between extra functionality and worse battery life, and we the users should be allowed to decide which is more important, not Apple who takes that choice away from us.

Maybe a frequent excessive power draw will kill the battery within the warranty period and Apple doesn't want to replace it for free...... 
ph34r.gif

Dec 6, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #370 of 454

Quote:
Maybe a frequent excessive power draw will kill the battery within the warranty period and Apple doesn't want to replace it for free...... 
ph34r.gif

I am sure that the people who use this in a tradition manner but don't use USB power will be draining and recharging the battery more often than those of us who are trying to use USB power.  We are a very small group as compared to the typical user.  To me, it is all about Apple controlling how the product is used, typical of their approach to computing.  They like DIYers with the software, not the hardware.  This is why I use PCs and not Macs.

Dec 6, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #372 of 454
Bad news for my RSA Predator.
frown.gif

I hooked everything up using the Dr. Bott T3 and I can't get any volume out of the unit.  The iPad accepts the unit but I can barely hear anything.

Has anyone else tried their Predator with the new OS?

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #373 of 454

Quote:
Bad news for my RSA Predator.
frown.gif

I hooked everything up using the Dr. Bott T3 and I can't get any volume out of the unit.  The iPad accepts the unit but I can barely hear anything.

Has anyone else tried their Predator with the new OS?

Out of curiosity, how much does your predator draw when you plug it into a computer usb?

Quote:
torcik said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/06/ios-4-2-said-to-blocking-ipad-camera-kit-from-supporting-some-us/

I saw that, but apple isn't blocking us from getting a digital signal out.....   if it wasn't a power consideration, and apple really wanted prevent us from accessing the digital feed, they could have just turned it off..... no?

Dec 8, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #374 of 454
yeah, you are right. I get digital signal out just fine with my battery powered fiio e7. But they do limit our choices, and force us to have to use something that's battery powered or has external power without the need for a powered hub.

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #375 of 454

Quote:
yeah, you are right. I get digital signal out just fine with my battery powered fiio e7. But they do limit our choices, and force us to have to use something that's battery powered or has external power without the need for a powered hub.

I wonder how hard it would be to come up with a 5V, battery powered, external, USB compatible power supply, that would be small enough and light enough to allow any dac or transport to be used.? 

I'd rather use external portable power rather than drain the ipad for a lot of reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back