iPad to Support USB Audio Interfaces via Camera Connection Kit?
Dec 9, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #376 of 454

Quote:
Quote:
yeah, you are right. I get digital signal out just fine with my battery powered fiio e7. But they do limit our choices, and force us to have to use something that's battery powered or has external power without the need for a powered hub.

I wonder how hard it would be to come up with a 5V, battery powered, external, USB compatible power supply, that would be small enough and light enough to allow any dac or transport to be used.? 

I'd rather use external portable power rather than drain the ipad for a lot of reasons.

Targus has a nice small portable 4 port USB hub that uses a two-headed USB cable for extra power - one of the USB plugs does data and power, the other does just power.  Theoretically one could use that hub and add an external battery pack that has a USB port on it.  I can't test this because I'm staying at jailbroken iOS 3.2 until Apple corrects their bad decision.

Dec 9, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #377 of 454

Quote:
Targus has a nice small portable 4 port USB hub that uses a two-headed USB cable for extra power - one of the USB plugs does data and power, the other does just power.  Theoretically one could use that hub and add an external battery pack that has a USB port on it.  I can't test this because I'm staying at jailbroken iOS 3.2 until Apple corrects their bad decision.

I have a couple of those dongles from old external laptop sized HDs, but what kind of battery pack would we use?

Dec 9, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #378 of 454

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
yeah, you are right. I get digital signal out just fine with my battery powered fiio e7. But they do limit our choices, and force us to have to use something that's battery powered or has external power without the need for a powered hub.

I wonder how hard it would be to come up with a 5V, battery powered, external, USB compatible power supply, that would be small enough and light enough to allow any dac or transport to be used.? 

I'd rather use external portable power rather than drain the ipad for a lot of reasons.

Stubborn are you, you could be waiting quite a while!

Dec 9, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #379 of 454

Quote:
Quote:

I have a couple of those dongles from old external laptop sized HDs, but what kind of battery pack would we use?

Griffin makes a small portable rechargable battery pack for $39 with a 950 mah storage capacity that can put out 500 ma, that plugs into a USB to charge and has a USB jack on it to power a device.  

Dec 9, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #380 of 454

Quote:
Griffin makes a small portable rechargable battery pack for $39 with a 950 mah storage capacity that can put out 500 ma, that plugs into a USB to charge and has a USB jack on it to power a device.  

I saw that too but it takes 3AAs.  Going to be heavy.....  humm

And this might work with the Pico amp/dac

Dec 10, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #381 of 454

Quote:
Quote:

I saw that too but it takes 3AAs.  Going to be heavy.....  humm

And this might work with the Pico amp/dac

I'm referring to the one in the photo below.  No AA batteries here.

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #382 of 454
I think I am going to be forced to sell my Predator because right now it is useless with the iPad.  I cannot carry any additional devices with me when I am flying.  It is already a pain to have an iPad, headphones and the predator along with the necessary cabling.  This is already in addition to my laptop and other work stuff.

Would I have the same issues with my iPod?  I have an iPod classic.  Can I use the Predator with that?  I am assuming not since the iPod would not have enough juice to power the Predator.

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #383 of 454

Quote:
I think I am going to be forced to sell my Predator because right now it is useless with the iPad.  I cannot carry any additional devices with me when I am flying.  It is already a pain to have an iPad, headphones and the predator along with the necessary cabling.  This is already in addition to my laptop and other work stuff.

Would I have the same issues with my iPod?  I have an iPod classic.  Can I use the Predator with that?  I am assuming not since the iPod would not have enough juice to power the Predator.

You can use the predator with your iPod by using it just as a headphone amp, and not a DAC.  But this will for sure provide better sound than listening just to the iPod.

You could get a LOD for the iPad, too, and use the Predator that way.  Or sell the Predator and buy a P-51, which is smaller, and a little better as a headphone amp.

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #384 of 454
So I live with the quality, or lack there of, of the iPad analog out, and use an RSA amp which is self-powered?

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #385 of 454

Quote:
So I live with the quality, or lack there of, of the iPad analog out, and use an RSA amp which is self-powered?

Right, but use the LINE out from the dock connector of the iPad, not the headphone out, to feed the amp.

Dec 10, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #386 of 454
Ah.  So I will need to get a cable for this.  Suggestions on who I should get this from?  I see Ray sells them.

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #387 of 454
I can only tell you I get mine from ALO Audio, and like them very much.

Dec 10, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #389 of 454
High Resolution Technologies debuts the iStreamer

its ipod, ipad, iphone certified and takes digital out and converts it into analog.

http://www.headfonia.com/hrt-istreamer-released/

price is 200$ which I think is a very decent price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back