iPad to Support USB Audio Interfaces via Camera Connection Kit?
Nov 23, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #331 of 454
Wow this is really a massive bummer.  This will mean eliminating some of the really cool uses I have for my iPad.

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #332 of 454
My D10 connected directly doesn't work any more
BUT
my little workaround
(might work for ALL portable DACs)

I connected a Dr.Bott T3Hub (I have the old USB1.0 version) between the connection kit and the DAC and
now D10 and the Sigtone h1 work!

http://www.drbott.net/product/3116-THSW/

Cheers

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #334 of 454
Thanks for the tip, rhw!  I just ordered one.

Nov 23, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #335 of 454

Quote:
Is there any way to go back to 3.2.2

Might work with factory reset. (?)
(But the iPad feels faster with 4.2.1 and Keynote 1.3 seems to have got some new features when using the pad as a presenter.)

Nov 23, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #339 of 454

Quote:
Quote:
What's the advantage of using this dongle instead of a powered hub or powered device?

You need no power. :)

I know, but you have a lot of ungainly and easily damaged stuff sticking out of the side of the ipad.  In this instance, why is no power an advantage?

In some cases, when I am on the road, it is a big advantage.

Nov 23, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #340 of 454

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What's the advantage of using this dongle instead of a powered hub or powered device?

You need no power. :)

I know, but you have a lot of ungainly and easily damaged stuff sticking out of the side of the ipad.  In this instance, why is no power an advantage?

In some cases, when I am on the road, it is a big advantage.

What about using that powered USB isolator?  It doesn't look like it takes up any more space?

Nov 23, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #341 of 454

Quote:

For me the question is more theoretical.
In real I prefer at home the chain - macbook>DAC>......

Never tried an active hub in an audio setup .... size and weight seems not to be an advantage of an active hub (+ power supply).

Nov 23, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #342 of 454

Quote:
What about using that powered USB isolator?  It doesn't look like it takes up any more space?

Can you show me an example?  They key is I don't want another wall wart in my travel bag.

Nov 23, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #343 of 454

Quote:
Quote:

For me the question is more theoretical.
In real I prefer at home the chain - macbook>DAC>......

Never tried an active hub in an audio setup .... size and weight seems not to be an advantage of an active hub (+ power supply).

humm, theoretically, the camera connector + the usb dongle + usb male end of cable leading to the dac seems like a lot of flimsy stuff sticking out (about 3 inches in total) of the side of the ipad.....  I don't know how much pressure the ipad connector can tollerate but those usbs are pretty flimsy..... 
confused.gif
  probably going to need some extenders, as stress relievers, to break up the lever arm..... 
confused.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Can you show me an example?  They key is I don't want another wall wart in my travel bag.

I guess any powered device would have to have a wall wart or battery pack.....  I guess the trade off is battery life and recharging cycles, depending how much current the dac draws...  and what ever else you're doing at the same time.....

this "board" has been posted before.  probably not much longer than the dongle, and a little wider to accommodate the power connector...
usb isolator board

or something like this Griffin battery reserve, that also lets the usb wires go through....

Nov 23, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #344 of 454
The uDAC has no battery - so no recharge cycles.  So for me, the Dr. Bott is perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back