iPad Mini - anyone ?
Nov 5, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #76 of 110
Nov 5, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #78 of 110
Quote:
Is it worth selling the ipad 2 for the mini?

That's what I did... No regrets at all! The screen is better than the iPad 2 though no where near as good as my iPad 3... but only really obvious on text, if you put it up close to your face. The mini actually got me thinking if I really needed Retina at the expense of thickness and weight~

After a day on the mini, i picked up the iPad 3 and went WOAH... feels so ancient with the weight and thickness!

Its not impossible to have retina class displays at that form factor (in the near future anyway), but to avoid fragmentation like Android, Apple has to stick to either the iPad 1/2 resolution or the iPad 3/4's resolution... The later's what will give you retina+ quality but that'll come at the expense of battery life / thickness / weight. I think its a reasonable compromise for Apple to use the older resolution at this point in time... until they figure out a way to process those millions of pixels in a display as small as the mini without draining too much of the battery.

Anyway my wife has embarked on a hostile takeover of my mini... so i'm now stuck with my iPad 3 lol~

Nov 5, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #79 of 110
Quote:

That's what I did... No regrets at all! The screen is better than the iPad 2 though no where near as good as my iPad 3... but only really obvious on text, if you put it up close to your face. The mini actually got me thinking if I really needed Retina at the expense of thickness and weight~

After a day on the mini, i picked up the iPad 3 and went WOAH... feels so ancient with the weight and thickness!

Its not impossible to have retina class displays at that form factor (in the near future anyway), but to avoid fragmentation like Android, Apple has to stick to either the iPad 1/2 resolution or the iPad 3/4's resolution... The later's what will give you retina+ quality but that'll come at the expense of battery life / thickness / weight. I think its a reasonable compromise for Apple to use the older resolution at this point in time... until they figure out a way to process those millions of pixels in a display as small as the mini without draining too much of the battery.

Anyway my wife has embarked on a hostile takeover of my mini... so i'm now stuck with my iPad 3 lol~

How many hours of battery life if using only for music?

Nov 6, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #80 of 110
Haven't done that lol... but wife has been using Youtube extensively with the built in speaker for sound at max... at least 4 hours of videos, surfing and what not, and its still 35% at the end of yesterday~

I just tried it... after an hour or so of Apple lossless it still shows 99%, driven through external amp

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #81 of 110
This audio quality of this piece of kit is so good I'm now looking at selling my iPod Classic, Apple cradle, Littledot MkIV tube amp & Beyers DT880 premium 600 ohm headphones, and using the Mini exclusively for listening to music. I will either buy the Sennheiser Amperior or AKG K550 headphones to use with my Mini.

I only have a pair of Sennheiser HD202 ii and Bose AE2i. Both sound the best I have ever heard them when using the Mini, but the Sennheisers are sounding like cans 20 times their price. Crazy good. My music is all 320 bit mp3. And I listen to every genre.

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #82 of 110
Quote:
This audio quality of this piece of kit is so good I'm now looking at selling my iPod Classic, Apple cradle, Littledot MkIV tube amp & Beyers DT880 premium 600 ohm headphones, and using the Mini exclusively for listening to music. I will either buy the Sennheiser Amperior or AKG K550 headphones to use with my Mini.
I only have a pair of Sennheiser HD202 ii and Bose AE2i. Both sound the best I have ever heard them when using the Mini, but the Sennheisers are sounding like cans 20 times their price. Crazy good. My music is all 320 bit mp3. And I listen to every genre.

So it is noticeably better than the Classic then? 

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #84 of 110
This thread really got me scratching my head.

I actually prefer the iPod Classic's quality over the iPad Mini, iPod Touch, iPad, and iPad 2.

Seriously.

I listen to FLAC's exclusively, and have tested these devices with my HD25, Amperior. Momentum, P5's, K702's, HD650, DT1350's, T1's (via HP-P1 amp), SE535LTD's and X10i's.

The Classic has a warmer sound IMO. The other devices sound a tad 'digital' for my likings! However, the iPad 3 actually had a really good sound and i'm hoping the 4th Gen sounds as good/better.

BTW, the iPad Mini is EXACTLY the same (internally) as the iPad 2!

If you own an iPad 2 already, it's pretty silly to take a step 'sideways' and buy a Mini. Unless you need/want a smaller device/screen of course.

Just my 2 Cents. :p

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #85 of 110
Quote:

I actually prefer the iPod Classic's quality over the iPad Mini, iPod Touch, iPad, and iPad 2.

Seriously.

I listen to FLAC's exclusively, and have tested these devices with my HD25, Amperior. Momentum, P5's, K702's, HD650, DT1350's, T1's (via HP-P1 amp), SE535LTD's and X10i's.

The Classic has a warmer sound IMO. The other devices sound a tad 'digital' for my likings! However, the iPad 3 actually had a really good sound and i'm hoping the 4th Gen sounds as good/better.

If you own an iPad 2 already, it's pretty silly to take a step 'sideways' and buy a Mini. Unless you need/want a smaller device/screen of course.

And how are you listening to FLACs on all these iPods/iPads? I know there is an app for the iOS models that lets you play FLAC, but there isn't for the Classic...

Nov 8, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #86 of 110
The iPad Mini does not seem like a viable source of portable music because it is simply a larger iPod touch with an iPad interface. It is difficult to do any music-related activity and the music playback quality is no better than the iPod touch's. Just my 2 cents.

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #87 of 110
I converted my FLAC library to ALAC for my 4G Touch - its a bit of a pain having to maintain both (I prefer Foobar to iTunes on my laptop), but once you get the initial grunt work done its pretty smooth sailing. Disk is cheap.  

(FWIW, I still see the odd review where someone claims that 'FLAC sounds better than ALAC *or* WAV' - not entirely sure what that's all about, but I guess we hear what we want to hear)

Nov 9, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #88 of 110
Quote:
I converted my FLAC library to ALAC for my 4G Touch - its a bit of a pain having to maintain both (I prefer Foobar to iTunes on my laptop), but once you get the initial grunt work done its pretty smooth sailing. Disk is cheap.  

(FWIW, I still see the odd review where someone claims that 'FLAC sounds better than ALAC *or* WAV' - not entirely sure what that's all about, but I guess we hear what we want to hear)

I did some FLAC-to-ALAC conversion when I got my Classic.....not for the whole FLAC library, but for some favorites. Any other DAP I use high-grade lossy files on, but with the Classic I had plenty of space.

Nov 9, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #89 of 110
I did some FLAC-to-ALAC conversion when I got my Classic.....not for the whole FLAC library, but for some favorites. Any other DAP I use high-grade lossy files on, but with the Classic I had plenty of space.

Say it isn't so!!! Lol!!! :p

Nov 9, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #90 of 110
Quote:

Seriously.

It really depends on which Classic you have, many have returned back from the 160 GIG back to the older/smaller memory versions thinking it was better SQ.This of course would only mainly matter if you were using the I-pod internal DAC and not sending to an external DAC/AMP combo.

Are you using Rockbox for FLAC replay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back