iPad Mini - anyone ?
Nov 3, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #61 of 110
There's been a lot of criticism leveled at the cost of the iPad Mini, (somewhat justified given its lower-res screen than its competitors) but now we know where that extra cost comes into play, I think....

Nov 3, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #62 of 110
Quote:
they could have add Retnia display and made a lot of folks happy but they didnt. We all know that the next upgrade will have a retnia display, I guess this might turn a lot of folks off from buying this when they know in about 6-12 months they will have that. 

I preordered a mini and spent the day with it yesterday... it went back today. I loved the size, I loved the weight, I just don't get why they didn't put the retina display in it like all their newest offerings.  It would have been brilliant. There's always next year's update, i guess.  On an audio note, I don't know what DAC it uses or anything about it's internals, but it was the best sounding i-device I've heard to date. It was crystal clear and punchy (using the Apple DDIEMS and a pair of HD650).

Nov 3, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #63 of 110
Quote:
I preordered a mini and spent the day with it yesterday... it went back today. I loved the size, I loved the weight, I just don't get why they didn't put the retina display in it like all their newest offerings.  It would have been brilliant. There's always next year's update, i guess.  On an audio note, I don't know what DAC it uses or anything about it's internals, but it was the best sounding i-device I've heard to date. It was crystal clear and punchy (using the Apple DDIEMS and a pair of HD650).

Cant lie I bought the new nano thinking I will use it with my crappy IEM, you know something to use when i am jogging, the sound is far better than my old ipod 5.5! I assume mini is at least as good if not better.
But converting to ALAC is still a painful procedure...

Nov 4, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #64 of 110
My Mini is a keeper. The screen issue is over hyped. It's actually fine. In some situations it's stunning.

Now the Audio. Probably better so far than my iPod Classic.

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #66 of 110
True, didn't say it was bad, ios is stable and reliable. How are you liking your ipad mini?

Really liking it so far. I can thumb-type in portrait mode. It's all the functionality of the big one in a form factor that fits in the pocket of some of my shorts.

Haven't had time to listen to it yet, but the tear down analyses I've seen say it has separate DAC and Class D amp chips from Cirrus, so I expect it to be at least as good as the iPhone 5 and the new iPod touch, both of which I like.

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #67 of 110
Quote:
Is it worth selling the ipad 2 for the mini?

It would come down to what form factor you prefer but I personally think so. It's the same resolution but at a greater density.

Gavinfabl -- interesting to hear that you're keeping your Mini. You're right that the resolution isn't bad, especially for video, email and basic web surfing, but I found that reading most PDFs and some books from the iBook store was just unacceptable compared my iPhone 5 (and compared to all other Apple devices). I would have kept the Mini If I didn't buy it specifically for reading the PDF reports that my organization puts out. Other than the issue I have with the screen resolution, I think it's the perfect size and weight for a tablet. I'll most likely buy the next iteration.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #68 of 110
I do agree that the screen issue is a non-issue. The retina display is overhyped.

Nov 4, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #69 of 110
Butrarina looks good, i'm really thinking of selling my ipad 2, is there a smart cover available for the mini?
And if it is the same os that runs on the 2, aren't there like any things that are to small?

Nov 4, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #71 of 110
Almost bought one of these today but the store was out of 16gb (flatly refuse to pay the £80 per 16gb flash memory ratio Apple works with) so will hold fire for now. The screen looks fine in person, and while you just know next years mini will have retina, its not a deal breaker for me. I've wanted a smaller tablet for a while now, and the aps situation does make Apple the only sensible tablet choice until we start see real tablet aps for android. 

Nov 5, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #74 of 110

Users who are viewing this thread

Back