iPad Mini - anyone ?
Feb 7, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #107 of 110
yeah, man.  I got the ipad mini here.  And I was sort of impressed until.......

The audio via the heaphone jack is bollux.  I have a Droid Razr phone, which actually can sound good.  But this ipad mini sounds like crap.  Low end is lost.  And it can easily break up the high end when the volume reaches anything above 75%.  Headphones so far: SE-215 iems, HD 25-II, and some older HD-530 II's.
---
OK came back for an edit.  I found my Etymonic HF2's.  This appears to open up the ipad mini quite a bit more.  Still a not-very-good extended bass if you ask me.  But it isn't nearly as compressed, and the high end opened up significantly.  So the ohm-age on these on these others works out to be: 16 ohm, 20 ohm, 60 ohm, and gulp 300 ohms.  My advice here then is I would not use a headphone above 16 ohms with this device. 
---
Just came back to add... Retina Macbook Pro is a *WORLD* better.  Listening to the HD 25's on the rMBP at the moment, and have no complaints.  On the ipad mini, I really think it is going to be very hit-and-miss depending on the phones.

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #108 of 110
Quote:

The audio via the heaphone jack is bollux.  I have a Droid Razr phone, which actually can sound good.  But this ipad mini sounds like crap.  Low end is lost.  And it can easily break up the high end when the volume reaches anything above 75%.  Headphones so far: SE-215 iems, HD 25-II, and some older HD-530 II's.
---
OK came back for an edit.  I found my Etymonic HF2's.  This appears to open up the ipad mini quite a bit more.  Still a not-very-good extended bass if you ask me.  But it isn't nearly as compressed, and the high end opened up significantly.  So the ohm-age on these on these others works out to be: 16 ohm, 20 ohm, 60 ohm, and gulp 300 ohms.  My advice here then is I would not use a headphone above 16 ohms with this device. 
---
Just came back to add... Retina Macbook Pro is a *WORLD* better.  Listening to the HD 25's on the rMBP at the moment, and have no complaints.  On the ipad mini, I really think it is going to be very hit-and-miss depending on the phones.

THX, I really like the sound of my Ipad2 more and more actually. I think I'll stick with it.

Mar 31, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #109 of 110
Quote:

---
---

Good stuff. I'd like to hear the MBP via optical into a decent converter like the Syncro-mesh, but that's another year away for me - I assume that there will be an 'all new, all singing' MBP by then. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back