Ipad/iphone friendly semi-portable DAC/AMP -with HD600s
Jan 21, 2015 at 12:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kbuzz

100+ Head-Fier
hello all 

I wonder if i could get some recommendations.  I am looking for a portable or semi portable amp/dac that will better the CCK output on my iphone 6 and i pad.  I intend to use the amp in bed and around the house with my HD600s- but would eventually like to upgrade to a planer (HI FI MAN AUDEZE etc) so power might be as issue. Alternatively it would be also great have one that i can utilize with a mac mini or cpu in my full size my home system,   My only requirement is that it NOT REQUIRE use with a powered usb hub as i not a fan of all the wires dangling....Seems if money is no object that the Chord Hugo would tick all the boxes but as most know its a bit pricey.

So the short list i guess would be:

Ifi nano or micro
CEntrence
Sony 
meridian

What am i missing?

Fostex?
Cypher Labs?

Thanks all for any recommendations or suggestions

In the past i have used and enjoyed, the TTVJ slim (for portable not with senns) and the total bit head (not bad at all)

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 6
Ibasso D-Zero MkII or D42 Mamba - get a sync dock for your phone to keep the USB adapters and wires behind them. I use my MkI with the iPad2 sometimes but I don't have a photo of it, but here it is in action with an SGS3. There's also the JDSLabs C5D.

I use the D-Zero MkI with my HD600s sometimes (like when the power was out, or now that I dropped off my desktop amp at my tech's shop since the sound just went mono for some reason) and I'm not missing my Cantate.2 enough to badger my tech about it (he hasn't heard from parts suppliers yet).

Mar 8, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 6

Check out the Leckerton UHA-6S MkII.  I've been very happy with it, and does not require USB Hub.

Mar 8, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 6
HRT microstreamer is nice, has low enough power draw and is very resolving, but I only have 598s. Don't know how well it would power 600s, but it always has a separate line-out.

Apr 23, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 6
HRT microstreamer is nice, has low enough power draw and is very resolving, but I only have 598s. Don't know how well it would power 600s, but it always has a separate line-out.

I used the microstreamer with my HD600s and iPhone with CCK and ended up returning the MS. Don't get me wrong, it was an improvement, but a marginal one IMO. Easily had enough power to drive them loud, and the vocals were more smooth, but it didn't really provide the "weight" I was looking for. Take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I haven't really had the chance to properly drive the 600s, so I don't know what they're capable of, I only knew this wasn't what I was looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back